Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini Arctic 3-mode 1000ma AA 0r CR123 445 host

Cheech

This has got to be the simplest build to date right next to the plug a red diode into a maglite trick.
So I found this 3-mode Digital Regulated 1000mA Current Output flashlight on DealExtreme because I wanted A high power light for work.
DealExtreme: $13.65 MX Power ML-310 Cree WC-Q5 3-Mode 180-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*CR123A)

After it arrived I knew it had to be a laser so i mocked up a a130 to it and it lased at a low intensity with 1 AA battery, and bright with a CR123.

After dicking around trying to make a chunk of aluminum look good in the host I decided to ask Mohrenberg If he could make a custom heatsink for it. To my delight the host was sinked and back to me in a week. So without further adue here is

-----First you buy the light
4346-mini445-001.jpg

-----Second you acquire a heat sink
4354-mini445-009.jpg

-----Third you solder leads to the stock driver. Mohrenberg added in some of the silicon wire which is awesome to say the least.
4355-mini445-010.jpg

-----Forth add your diode and secure it to the heatsink
4356-mini445-011.jpg

Done. You now have a 3-mode (high,low,strobe)445. Enjoy
I will try to upload a video to show the modes later.

4351-mini445-006.jpg

AA batteries
4347-mini445-002.jpg

CR123 batteries
4353-mini445-008.jpg

4352-mini445-007.jpg

4349-mini445-004.jpg

Video: Mode switching is done with a light tap of the clicky.

Last edited:

mmykle

Bitchin!! I will definitely make this build in the future. Is there a host that takes 18650's? That would be the ideal host.

Cheech

On Dx the tank oo7 takes 18650's and has fins
****Update***
A 6 minute run in my pocket last night proved to be very painful but the heatsink on this thing is great, It was warm but not hot. I'm starting to wonder if the fins on the outside of the host are adding to the heat dissipation of this laser. The fins are outside the area of the pill heatsink which is cupped by the laser heatsink.

Can someone point me towards a formula to calculate heat dissipation through aluminum?

Last edited:
That would be fairly difficult, you'd need to calculate the entire surface area of the flashlight which is not an easy task with that knurling or the fins.

If you are really interested in designing the best possible heatsink I suggest reading up on thermal capacity and thermal conductivity. Wikipedia has pretty decent articles for both. There are also "simulation" programs for 3D modeling software that use the geometry of a model to calculate thermal transfer.

If you were bound and determined to measure the thing, I would look into something called "David Laserscanner." That would give you a 3D model of the outside of the laser. Then you could model the inside dimensions and use a simulation program to calculate the efficiency both with and without the fins.

Cheech

I was just thinking of the diy 3d scanner when I read your second paragraph.
thanks.
I would like to know just so I could pinpoint a max duty cycle

Wow 6 minutes run time on that little host is Awesome and its not even hot at the end of the 6 minutes. The fins must be doing an awesome job dissipating the heat pretty good.

:gj:

udanis

Where did you get a heatsink for this host from? I really like that build!!

Edit: Sorry I didn't read the post well enough the first time. Nice build none the less!

Cheech

Wow 6 minutes run time on that little host is Awesome and its not even hot at the end of the 6 minutes. The fins must be doing an awesome job dissipating the heat pretty good.

:gj:

The night it was on 6 min was pretty cold out and I was drunk in a cold garage. So i just left It on for 5 minutes and it was no hotter than the bottom of my netbook mini laptop. The entire area of the host except the battery tube gets equally warm.

Do you know if mohrenberg or anyone else makes these heat sinks readily available today without having to send a host? I'd really like this simple build and the flashing mode would make for a sort of self defense dazzling device for a female.

udanis

Also, howabout any other hosts like this, but a little more powerful-- say 1.5A ?
Try searching some sites and see if anything comes up.

Do you know if mohrenberg or anyone else makes these heat sinks readily available today without having to send a host? I'd really like this simple build and the flashing mode would make for a sort of self defense dazzling device for a female.

You could ask builders?

Cheech

@sometoymachine- "Do you know if mohrenberg or anyone else makes these heat sinks readily available today without having to send a host? I'd really like this simple build and the flashing mode would make for a sort of self defense dazzling device for a female"

Moh's was quick with my sink, I've also read ather post which were the same with sink times.
He may still have the measurements, but he told me not all host are always the same.

Ash

After it arrived I knew it had to be a laser so i mocked up a a130 to it and it lased at a low intensity with 1 AA battery, and bright with a CR123.
Did you ever get a power reading on the 3-modes (with A130 445).
Also, did it actually lase with a single AA battery?
Only on high-mode, or on all 3 modes?

Cheech

It lases with 1 AA battery at low intensity, good for a responsible presentation pointer. No LPM reading. But to say one thing, this laser is rugged. I've dropped it out of my pocket a handfull of times off a 12 foot ladder. I've even trown it against the wall a few times because I read somewhere that someone wanted to test how tought these diodes were to shock. Needless to say it still lases great.
I'm not reckless by any means but have had this laser clipped to my side more days than not.
BUT I DO NOT TAKE ANY LASERS TO THE BAR. Nothing good can come from that.