Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mercury Light show

I built a device that consists of a small speaker with a SEALED dish of mercury on top. [im great with glassworking] Crazy effects can be had by feeding tones to the speaker and shining my laser into the hg. I have no pictures or video because this device was disassembled a while ago, and the mercury reclaimed and tossed into the jar with the other 7lbs.

Im just wondering if anybody has tried or thought about such a thing.

One can also attempt this with the element gallium, but it will only work above 80*F and gallium is expensive, tarnishes easily, and is wetter than oil [it will even wet glass!] Gallium makes great front surface mirrors due to the glass-wetting.

But, if mess doesn't discourage you, you can try gallium.

DISCLAIMER:

METALLIC MERCURY IS HIGHLY INERT. It is too dense to be absorbed through the skin, or even digestive tract. It is only dangerous when it is heated and the vapors are deliberately inhaled.

All of the "dangers" one hears about mercury are actually about METHYLMERCURY, the very poisonous organic compound that is found in tuna. M-Merc is easily absorbed into beings and is the cause of panic. Although the media finds it easier to blame it on the element, rather than methylmercury or other mercuric alcohols & sugars.

The silver dome on most speakers works fine.

Gluing a small FS mirror to a speaker works as well.

Mercury is hard to come by, and please don't tell of sources, too many young kids read this forum.

Last edited:
WOW I had to look behind me realy fast--- :whistle:

I have done this with FS mirrors on speaker cones.

but then you dont get the liquid-y effect. the laser beam looks like "stretched slime" but moves and changes shape. its awesome.

Try getting a silicone muffin cup. Then cut it so you have the center circle and 4 arms coming out from the circle. Then attach the stretched arms to the 4 screw holes on the speaker. then just put a mirror on the circle. Use volume, and bass control to change effects. Works great and is much more random that just putting it on the cone.

It would be interesting to see, its a shame you didn't make a video.
I had nice effects reflecting a beam from a very slow spiro off some crinkled metallic plastic (bit more shiny then alum foil).

@photonaholic Try not to blow any fingers off. :san:

It would be interesting to see, its a shame you didn't make a video.
I had nice effects reflecting a beam from a very slow spiro off some crinkled metallic plastic (bit more shiny then alum foil).

@photonaholic Try not to blow any fingers off. :san:

I'll just shine the laser into a jar of hg while shaking it gently. Not right now though, im sick in bed.

Why did you just post availability of powerful explosives.

Talking about them is one thing, telling people where to get them is another.

Last edited:
Why did you just post availability of powerful explosives.

Talking about them is one thing, telling people where to get them is another.

I reported your post and gave you a - rep

Think before you post.

Oh like people couldn't have done a quick google search to find the exact same information? I see no wrong done here - you're the one who bought up the fulminate topic to begin with.

Back on topic: Thanks for the idea, I might try that with some of the mercury I have.

Last edited:
Oh like people couldn't have done a quick google search to find the exact same information? I see no wrong done here - you're the one who bought up the fulminate topic to begin with.

star-wars-yoda-pwnd.jpg

You might be surprised at how lazy people can be even if the info is only a "quick google search" away. While I do agree its not hard at all to find, still a link is certainly easier.

Also while photonaholic may have brought up the compound I'm the one who revealed that its dangerous likely peaking interest in it. IMO I'm as much to blame really.
/End_seriousness
Yoda got some nice skillz for an little old guy. Don't judge 'em by their looks

Last edited:
You might be surprised at how lazy people can be even if the info is only a "quick google search" away. While I do agree its not hard at all to find, still a link is certainly easier.

Also while photonaholic may have brought up the compound I'm the one who revealed that its dangerous likely peaking interest in it. IMO I'm as much to blame really.

I may have over reacted somewhat, The ingredients for Mercury Fulminate are near impossible to get without proper permits.

My grievance is the "other" compound, that I am fully to blame for bringing up.

The ingredients for that can be purchased easily by anyone, so it was imprudent to tell folks where to get it.

Thankfully, that compound is very difficult to initiate the reaction.

Halo, you are just an innocent bystander, don't for a second blame yourself for anything.

My grievance is the "other" compound, that I am fully to blame for bringing up.

I read through the posts too fast, I missed the mention of the "other" (2nd) compound. I thought the issue was only the 1st one. If you did indeed bring up the 2nd one I presume you removed it from your post.
Luckily the item in question is being replaced by urea based ones. Not sure how available the original formula is.

Anyway my condolences to you. Lemon was only a short while ago & now Flicka.

Last edited: