Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mech Mods and DTR laser can

AaronT

I ordered a PH22 / Poldiac mod clone with the hope that the key lock from a cheap "ebay" 303 model laser would fit.
4rtabp.jpg

286s93.jpg

It does indeed, but now 18350s or 18650s no longer fit (maybe 18500s will). I was already planning on ordering a CHI YOU mod/clone so I could use 2 x 18650s as the threading is the same and it comes in several different size sections.
772.jpg

Also the Maraxus V3 is a telescoping mod that looks like it might also be threaded the same. It would solve the battery adaptation nicely if it works.
HTB1ECHVFVXXXXaaXpXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

So in short if your thinking about getting a mechanical mod for the 510 module lasers and want a key lock for added safety, this is one option.

Last edited:

Druzen

I ordered a PH22 / Poldiac mod clone with the hope that the key lock from a cheap "ebay" 303 model laser would fit.
4rtabp.jpg

286s93.jpg

It does indeed, but now 18350s or 18650s no longer fit (maybe 18500s will). I was already planning on ordering a CHI YOU mod/clone so I could use 2 x 18650s as the threading is the same and it comes in several different size sections.
772.jpg

Also the Maraxus V3 is a telescoping mod that looks like it might also be threaded the same. It would solve the battery adaptation nicely if it works.
HTB1ECHVFVXXXXaaXpXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

So in short if your thinking about getting a mechanical mod for the 510 module lasers and want a key lock for added safety, this is one option.

Wait, if it doesnt fit an 18650 & 18350 with that lock tail cap then how is it an actual option?

There must be different 303's because i have a 303 and that maraxus v3 and it does not thread all the way...

BTW, how do you know the CHI you mod has the same threading as the 303?

AaronT

Wait, if it doesnt fit an 18650 & 18350 with that lock tail cap then how is it an actual option?

There must be different 303's because i have a 303 and that maraxus v3 and it does not thread all the way...

BTW, how do you know the CHI you mod has the same threading as the 303?

I plan to get a CHI and use an extension, but I will probably try the Marasus first as it is telescoping. Besides that it measures right to fit an 18500 as is, I just don't have a 18500 to test fit.

When you say the 303 isn't treading all the way is it because it is bottoming out?
If it smoothly threads at all it is indeed the same threading.

I have seen PH22/Poldiac mods with CHI parts in it. If they thread together and the Poldiac threads to the 303 they are the same.

I find the main difference in most 18650/18500/18350 mech mods is the treading is either course (like the PH22, CHI, 303) or fine.

Druzen

I plan to get a CHI and use an extension, but I will probably try the Marasus first as it is telescoping. Besides that it measures right to fit an 18500 as is, I just don't have a 18500 to test fit.

When you say the 303 isn't treading all the way is it because it is bottoming out?
If it smoothly threads at all it is indeed the same threading.

I have seen PH22/Poldiac mods with CHI parts in it. If they thread together and the Poldiac threads to the 303 they are the same.

I find the main difference in most 18650/18500/18350 mech mods is the treading is either course (like the PH22, CHI, 303) or fine.

Yeah the 303 tail cap that I have atleast just wont thread all the way on the Maraxus mod... But that again could be because your 303 is different from my 303.

Oh i see, thats cool to know.

DTR

Just found out when going to reorder more 510 adapters they have been discontinued.:(
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1698000

So until I either find another source, have them replicated from scratch or design a new module in style of the 510 units these will be out of stock here soon. Worst part is just got a bunch of 22mm units delivered that now have no adapters to go with them.:cryyy:

hi,
Jordan thats a shame these are awesome 510 modules ,well i hope you come thru finding the parts you need . Was just thinking if you ever thought about some copper 510 modules or even get some Aluminum anodized in wave length colors :D Wishing you luck pal

Rich:)

Last edited:

AaronT

Last edited:

DTR

Neither of them have stock. Both are links back to fasttech which is out of stock. Tried them after finding FT out of stock.

Does not look like it will matter. The new eCig regs went into effect yesterday and based on the way it is written if I continued to sell them they could be classified as a tobacco product and require a few million dollar application process which they would never approve. And that price would be per variation so just a different driver current or glass lens not to mention diode would require a whole new application. It is their way of banning eCigs without having to say they are banning them.

It is similar to the federal ban on MJ in the 30's before the controlled substance act gave authority to restrict sale and possession of substances to people. They basically did not ban it they imposed a tax that required acquisition of a tax stamp. They never had any intention of issuing any stamps.

So now you have a regulatory system where say a more simple vapor mod has six changeable parts. Each one of them has to go through the PMTA process which is said to cost a minimum of 1 million each. Add any variants and you start over again. That is on hardware. So basically they set the bar so high you could not get over it with a wile e coyote acme rocket strapped to your back but they can say that it is not a ban there is a pathway. You will never reach your destination but you can try and go into the poor house in the attempt.

Here is another great example. Store makes their own juice they have say 20 different flavors which is a very small catalog. Each of those flavors come in 5 different nic strengths and 5 different PG/VG levels. That is 500 variants. Minimum cost for this little mom and pop shop to continue to offer these is 500 million in PMTA costs and even after spending that the speculation is if you are not from Renolds or someone else that is greasing your pocket or the pockets of your political allies it would be denied.

It is crazy.

Last edited:

AaronT

Neither of them have stock. Both are links back to fasttech which is out of stock. Tried them after finding FT out of stock.

Does not look like it will matter. The new eCig regs went into effect yesterday and based on the way it is written if I continued to sell them they could be classified as a tobacco product and require a few million dollar application process which they would never approve. And that price would be per variation so just a different driver current or glass lens not to mention diode would require a whole new application. It is their way of banning eCigs without having to say they are banning them.

It is similar to the federal ban on MJ in the 30's before the controlled substance act gave authority to restrict sale and possession of substances to people. They basically did not ban it they imposed a tax that required acquisition of a tax stamp. They never had any intention of issuing any stamps.

So now you have a regulatory system where say a more simple vapor mod has six changeable parts. Each one of them has to go through the PMTA process which is said to cost a minimum of 1 million each. Add any variants and you start over again. That is on hardware. So basically they set the bar so high you could not get over it with a wile e coyote acme rocket strapped to your back but they can say that it is not a ban there is a pathway. You will never reach your destination but you can try and go into the poor house in the attempt.

Here is another great example. Store makes their own juice they have say 20 different flavors which is a very small catalog. Each of those flavors come in 5 different nic strengths and 5 different PG/VG levels. That is 500 variants. Minimum cost for this little mom and pop shop to continue to offer these is 500 million in PMTA costs and even after spending that the speculation is if you are not from Renolds or someone else that is greasing your pocket or the pockets of your political allies it would be denied.

It is crazy.

IMHO it is impossible to try to regulate something that started by modifying flashlights. This is simply the government chasing funding via tax/license fees.

As far as the "parts" go, if you go back far enough in the supply chain and explain to the MFR what you use it for than the slightest change made to the end product for your end use reclassifies the product.

I don't think you caught the alibaba link that from the looks of it might be the original producer.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/custom-stainless-steel-3D-510-Adapter_60344575159.html?spm=a2700.7724857.0.0.nVWQ08&pid=121219&cn=16426&cv=custom&tp1=0%3A%3A121219%3A%3Afc8ab92ff1ad190b3eace21fe56f7c68%3A%3A%3A%3A1470780798

Last edited:

DTR

No did not see that link. Yea making an order with a new china machine shop is like playing russian roulette with only one chamber empty. 1000 piece order minimum and no way of knowing if you will get something that is not crap or will work with the stock of sinks I have without going back and making new sinks to fit the new adapters.

That is actually one of the things most discussed as this ruling incorporates something that has not been seen before and will probably be the most challenged in the court system is the the insertion of "intended use". If they deem an item has intended use with a tobacco it can bee deemed a tobacco product by an arbitrary decision by the FDA and they can then regulate it as a tobacco product as well as anything designed to work with that. They wrote this regulation very meticulously to work out DIY and kit construction. The joke going around is some guy buying cotton balls and kanthal wire in some back alley like a drug deal. This affects Li-ion batteries as well as they can be deemed a tobacco product. It goes on and on. Also keep in mind this is not like someone importing a laser over 5mW. These could be considered a controlled substance depending on how it all unfolds. I imported an 18650 battery and now am charged with importation of a controlled substance.

If interested check out these links
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/deeming-regulations-have-been-released.739789/
Aaron from A Billion Lives responds to questions | E-Cigarette Forum

Yes it goes to loss of tax revenue and a promise to BT that they would never have any competition in exchange for a large payments every year that was hammered out in the MSA. With that agreement the government put a ban(The PMTA again a bar too high) on any new tobacco products entering the market which basically froze it with the four or five big companies that were around and they never have to face any other new upstarts coming in.

In a greedy move quite a few of the states actually sold bonds based on what they thought they would get from the MSA payments borrowing against money they calculated they would get. As smoking rates fell due to people quitting, less new smokers and then the biggest hit in the last few years is the millions of americans that switched to vapor. States that are the most vocal on the ecig hate like CA are also the ones that are in default on these MSA payments and the state is broke. On top of that the Federal government in the last 20 years is on a spending spree and any loss of revenue is not acceptable even if it means people will continue to die from smoking. They give a s*** about your health just pay us.

Then you have the cig companies coming back and saying you said I would never have competition and this new product is competing. They have invested in eCig companies but they realize they can only make a fraction of what they make of tobacco. So they pushed hard for these regs and demand closed systems "for the Children". You thought cig buts everywhere was bad wait till you see a mountain of plastic tanks in land fills being dropped off every day.

AaronT

I understand the crap shoot in buying from China. However I have had good luck getting refunds via the alibaba site when I can prove something wasn't to spec.

Getting size/thread/material specs before hand generally tells you what you need to know.

Any confusion about any dimension of a part supposedly made in house is a clear sign to move on.

I'll keep looking for the 510 adapters.

Do you have a quantity and price point your looking to meet?

It doesn't look like this part effects the overall product cost as much as it is a vital part.

DTR

Oh yea. I have worked with many machining companies on Alibaba. I found a slim few that produced acceptable work and have two that do exceptional work(but you pay for what you get). Easy to chat with most via trade manager when it is not crippling your computer. Anyway if I was currently motivated I could get them done in a large batch. Best method is to send them the part it is to be mated to so they can make samples and check the tolerances and finish. Send you photos to see it looks how you want it before approving the main production. I just am not willing to take any chances of having a product that could get me a visit.

Last edited:

AaronT

I just am not willing to take any chances of having a product that could get me a visit.

I've had an active FFL license (of several flavors) off and on over the years.

For what I do now family and friends keep me busy and I don't have paperwork to worry about.

I can totally understand not wanting a government agent up your backside if your not used to it.

If I were you I would wright a letter to the appropriate alphabet soup and ask for clarification on your product.

I would clearly explain what was needed for the product to function as intended.

Make it clear you want a yes/no affirmation on if it is a tobacco product.

To me it is a reward/risk problem. In FFL stuff 10-20 years time can result from a common bookkeeping mistake.

For any unregulated/FDA laser you build the risks seem to be limited to (don't do stupid stuff in public or involving vehicles and you'll stay out of jail) or (law enforcement knows so little that unless you self incriminate your fine).

Or in other words it boils down to what johnny law can prove was your intent.

If your intent is offering an alternative way of using a regulated item in a less regulated way your in good shape.

Nobody throws a fit if you convert a rifle into a crossbow.

Is it still a regulated rifle? Sure is.

Does johnny law care that it can now shoot crossbow bolts? Nope

Would johnny law care that your ex-felon friend is shooting your rifle/crossbow even though he could buy a crossbow but the rifle is still considered a rifle and would be illegal for him to handle? (At this point you have to wonder what happened that the officer has gathered all this info)

I have employed an ex-felon as a computer tech in my FFL business in the past. Never had access to guns, ammo, powder etc, BATFE was fine with this. As part of the process local law enforcement got called by the feds. Since they know me they called me. Long story short the officer that came out BS'd with us about what the BATFE said as it was new to all involved and the officer than says that felon or not you can't work in this biz and not shoot once in a while. Says to my employee that if they were to ever need to shoot (testing) for some reason to just call the non-emergency number and they can send someone out to supervise.

For instance, I would have no problem offering 510 modules if I had the ability to make them. Any risk would be mitigated by taking the time to do an LLC and get an EIN. That way in a worst case they just take the biz assets (would be a liability case involving injury). If all your biz owns is a pile of 510 adapters your liability is pretty limited.

Realistically, you might get a cease and desist letter from the FDA if you were to ever get that much attention.

I actually think it a bit funny, being worried about an unregulated tobacco device part when just having a portable class IV laser could get you into more trouble.