Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measuring current with dmm?

no because like i said it doesnt work^^
for some reason my DMM keeps saying 0.
i have 2 other DMM's wich supposly failed, so i dont think the DMM is broken or something.

the DMM is set to DC, mA, and the 2 poles are in 10A and the other one is in COM.
i also tried switching from auto range to a own set value, didnt work.
i cant get a freaking reading.

EDIT: just tried reading volts. didnt work either.

EDIT2: i think its somehow broken anyway. I tried with another DMM and it could at least measure voltage. unfortunatly it cant measure high currents.
is it beyond repair? it wont measure anything.

You need to be on the Scale that corresponds to where
the probes are Plugged.

The 10 Amps scale is required when you plug your Probes
into the 10 Amp connectors on your DMM...
Not the mA Scale Connectors...

A Clear Pic of your DMM Front face would help...

Refer to Post#3....

It's like asking "My car doesn't go... can you fix it"

It's NOT ENOUGH INFO....:eek:

Jerry

Last edited:

Fiddy

ok, reading that you said its not reading volts either leads me towards that the meter is damaged, with the meter's ive encountered, once the fuse has blown, you are still able to measure volts...

ok, reading that you said its not reading volts either leads me towards that the meter is damaged, with the meter's ive encountered, once the fuse has blown, you are still able to measure volts...

hmmm okay. ive had it with DMM's, its the third one that has this shit. il try to measure the heat once my new diode arrives and LPM it with the crappy build quality 2.5W lasersbee lpm i have. Should work to see when the power drops. and when it does i will know to put the current down on the flexdriver p3.
anyways thanks for the advice guys:)

Last edited:
hmmm okay. ive had it with DMM's, its the third one that has this shit. il try to measure the heat once my new diode arrives and LPM it with the crappy build quality 2.5W lasersbee lpm i have. Should work to see when the power drops. and when it does i will know to put the current down on the flexdriver p3.
anyways thanks for the advice guys:)

Funny how only you have a "crappy build quality 2.5W LaserBee
LPM"...:thinking: They are all built IDENTICALLY....

If yours has crappy build quality from us please send it back for a full
refund or replacement... PM me for the Return Address...

It is strange that this is the 1st time we hear of your dissatisfaction
with your LaserBee 2.5W LPM since you purchased it in June of 2011.

We have never received a PM or E-mail about your crappy built LPM.
Why is that....:thinking:

Please post pics so that all the members can compare your crappy
build quality with their LPMs.

Perhaps you played with the build quality and turned it crappy...
You don't even seem to know how to us a simple DMM...

The pics of your LaserBee 2.5W LPM posted here will clear up any
questions of a crappy build quality LPM... so please post them right
here...:beer:

Nice TROLL try but as usual...... FAIL !!:crackup:

Jerry

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post....
It seems I may be on the "Queen"'s Ignore list
according to the PM she/he just sent me..
If someone could quote all my Posts he may get
another clue to his "problems"...

Jerry

Last edited:
Lmao i am sorry for what was written in my previohs reply... I was typing from my phone and i knew for sure it had to be in series.... For some reason i ended up typing the exact opposite because i was probably doing too many tjings at once. Sorry again.... Disregard my posts in this thread... Im an idiot.

Lmao i am sorry for what was written in my previohs reply... I was typing from my phone and i knew for sure it had to be in series.... For some reason i ended up typing the exact opposite because i was probably doing too many tjings at once. Sorry again.... Disregard my posts in this thread... Im an idiot.

haha, anyways still thanks for trying to help :) :beer:

N/P....:D
You did explain the correct events of attaching the probes to the
battery and case to test for Current..

Jerry

N/P....:D
You did explain the correct events of attaching the probes to the
battery and case to test for Current..

Jerry

I'm actually quite convinced that the culprit is my tablet that has an 'autocorrect' button instead of a spacebar... tho I can't understand how it could sensibly switch 'series' for 'parallel'....but the first edit on that post (1 minute after posting) was to change an autocorrected 'To Tetris' that had replaced my original 'To test'

Either way...

hmmm okay. ive had it with DMM's, its the third one that has this shit.

attachment.php

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

You've probably burned out the fuse in the multimeter(s) by measuring using the wrong method--multiple times after burning out previous meters.

Current is a flow. You can't measure current unless you're in line (series) with the current flow. If you hook up the meter wrong, like what blind-leading-the-blind Cilegray suggested, your ammeter will act like you just hooked a wire across the leads (a short). Fortunately, the fuse will blow instead of letting your meter catch on fire.

So try checking the fuse in your meter too. I remember when I was younger and finding my meter didn't work with the amp measurement setting, that the fuse had been burned out. It was probably from hooking it up wrong some other time. You may not want to do what I did and fix the fuse with a ball of aluminum foil though.

The ammeter part of your multimeter isn't very accurate, and usually has a high and low range that you have to select. The different ranges have different circuitry for the expected amount of current passing through, and some are more accurate for certain ranges than others. The best way to measure current is with a resistor in series with the load (what you're trying to measure), and measuring the voltage across that. It keeps your meter out of the circuit, is more accurate (for a given resistor accuracy), and you don't risk burning out fuses.

Finally, I'm surprised that a member with over 1,300 posts, and all different stuff hasn't learned the basics of electronics. Read up dude!

Attachments

• dysfunction.jpg
    dysfunction.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Like i already said, the fuse is still there i think. Theres a small wire going from one end to the other.
I think its the unit thats broken. (again).
First tried with correct polarity, correct plugs and correct settings and a zero. Thats when i thought to ask here.
But i didnt know other ciruity was used if i chance range. Thanks...but i had it set to 000 mA. And i wanted to measure (at least thats what i wanted to find out) about 700mA.

attachment.php

Current is a flow. You can't measure current unless you're in line (series) with the current flow. If you hook up the meter wrong, like what blind-leading-the-blind Cilegray suggested, your ammeter will act like you just hooked a wire across the leads (a short). Fortunately, the fuse will blow instead of letting your meter catch on fire.

Maybe calm down a bit on the insults there buddy.... I clearly explained how he should have hooked it up, and either it was an oversight for 1 word, or my tablet changed it up on me, but I allready posted to say I was wrong and sorry.... maybe you can lay off a bit ?

Troll.

Maybe calm down a bit on the insults there buddy.... I clearly explained how he should have hooked it up, and either it was an oversight for 1 word, or my tablet changed it up on me, but I allready posted to say I was wrong and sorry.... maybe you can lay off a bit ?

Troll.
It's because you are new here that you don't understand the
Frustration...

The "queen" is too lazy to do any research and reading on
anything and opens useless threads to be spoon fed.

Just go back to the 1st thread that the "queen" posted
and read ALL the rest... and you will get an idea of why
BB is frustrated with this Thread...

It has nothing to do with trolling... BB is a respected and
contributing member o this Forum and I agree 100% with
his post..:beer:

BTW it was directed at the "queen" and not you...unless
you think you have over 1300 posts....:undecided:

Jerry

Last edited:
Meh, i can understand his frustration with the op...but calling me an idiot because of a typo/oversight was kinda harsh.... Shrugs