Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Meanwhile in Singapore . . . . .

daguin

In Singapore, lasers which have an output of greater than 5mW are illegal

The government of Singapore is carefully protecting its citizens from these dangerous lasers.

HOWEVER . . . . .

Apparently lasers which have an output of greater than 5mW are really only dangerous for poor people :thinking:

It seems that high output lasers can be owned in Singapore *IF*:

1) You pay a $40 import license per shipment
2) You pay an ANNUAL fee of $155 to keep or possess said lasers
3) You pay an ANNUAL fee of $105 to "use" the lasers

It was unclear to me if the annual fees were "in toto" or per laser

You've just got to love the way governments work :tinfoil:

Peace,
dave

Hmm, if those fees are not per laser, not that bad. On a purely legal basis, it's worse for us. I would love to be able to purchase a licence, to own, carry, and operate lasers, for that price.

It really does get to me though, that so often governments and law enforcement are in int he business of enforcing strictly procedural laws that have little or no impact on people or property, and only theoretically provide any kind of benefit.

That is benefit other than revenue to the state.

Last edited:
Yup money making racket...Its like speed cameras; they are there primarily to produce revenue, not to protect the public...:(

Last edited:
In Singapore, lasers which have an output of greater than 5mW are illegal

The government of Singapore is carefully protecting its citizens from these dangerous lasers.

HOWEVER . . . . .

Apparently lasers which have an output of greater than 5mW are really only dangerous for poor people :thinking:

It seems that high output lasers can be owned in Singapore *IF*:

1) You pay a $40 import license per shipment
2) You pay an ANNUAL fee of $155 to keep or possess said lasers
3) You pay an ANNUAL fee of $105 to "use" the lasers

It was unclear to me if the annual fees were "in toto" or per laser

You've just got to love the way governments work :tinfoil:

Peace,
dave

Singapore is well known to be ruthless against people who don't follow the rules on public order. Caning is a common punishment for minor offenses. es. spitting and littering.
So, yes, they can make up any rule to make $$$$.

Singapore is well known to be ruthless against people who don't follow the rules on public order. Caning is a common punishment for minor offenses. es. spitting and littering.
So, yes, they can make up any rule to make $$$$.

To a certain degree, I'm not opposed to that kind of punishment. You can bet one whack with a cane will go a much longer way in stopping someone from littering on the street, then will a $25 or $50, or $75 fine.

governments and law enforcement are in int he business of enforcing strictly procedural laws that have little or no impact on people or property, and only theoretically provide any kind of benefit.

You just described the FDA / laser projector bureaucracy in the USA :undecided:

In this respect the procedural laws are in place simply to protect a couple of domestic companies. They can buy from China, but you can't.

Spooky

In 1965 in the UK the government required all owners of CO2 gas powered airguns to register them with the authorities , the "licence" was free and anybody could have it.

In 1968 the full script of the firearms act was changed to make ALL co2 powered airguns subject to more usual firearms controls.

Those that didn't hand them in were subject to visits from the Police to have their "weapons" seized.

Guess how they knew who had all those guns ;)

I'm one of the most law abiding citizens you will come across, I don't not have any criminal record or any contact with the authorities past professionally in my job, I don't believe every half assed conspiracy theory that the scare mongering media spew out on a daily basis and yet you know what the scariest words in this country I love so much are ?

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" ;)

best wishes

Dave

Not only pay the fees, you need submit forms and to take test too..... Medical check up is also required...