Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Massdrop - New Group Buy Platform

Encap

Let them run their business.

Also a real company might get cheaper shipping (due to having a deal with carriers for all their non-laser GBs), especially to non-US buyers.

Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough comments.

A laser based video projector is a thought for a group buy perhaps.

I could be wrong but for many reasons not the least of which are the nature/piculiarites of handheld laser products/businesses + FDA rules and regulations regarding import and selling of lasers in the USA, I seriously doubt there many opportunities or possibilties for a US based general "product of any kind" group buy/co-op purchase type reseller company operating between end-users and other resellers and/or manufacturers other than 5mw or less laser pointers which fully comply with all FDA rules and regulations.

Lasers are highly regulated products. As a US company Massdrop should know and be aware of the FDA rules and regulations of importing and selling lasers in USA and that they are obligated to follow them. An importer of lasers is considered a manufacturer and has to comply with all the FDA rules and regulations. From FDA site: "A manufacturer is any person or organization in the business of making, assembling, importing [1000.3(f)], or modifying laser products [1040.10(i)]." also see : Important Information for Laser Pointer Manufacturers

FDA links:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/UCM095304.pdf
and Laser Products and Instruments

Perhaps these non-FDA links would be helpful:
http://laserpointersafety.com/rules-general/rules/rules.html

http://laserpointersafety.com/news/news/other-news_files/category-import-seizures.php

Last edited:

I agree -fair enough-- but still have to wonder where Massdrop makes their profits??

My toes are well protected I was thinking more about others who do or may want to do GBs.

My post was mainly just to clear =up any misconceptions about my GBs.

There is lots items out there that no members have attempted to GB.

I will start a list to send to Massdrop..

Encap's post is worth reading twice--

Li-Ion batts maybe
Bulk orders of sleds that are no longer in much demand
The nicer flashlights hosts-
glasses and goggles too.

I would love to be able to by First Contact cheaper-- thats increible stuff but spendy in small amounts..

hk

Pman

hmmmm....... interesting.... Will follow the thread and see wahat happens

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Right now we've got group buys going for the Nitecore and Sunwayman Flashlights.

Sunwayman D40A Flashlight
Retail: $79.50 ...... Massdrop: $59.63

Nitecore SRT3 Flashlight
Retail: $89.95 ...... Massdrop: $67.49

Nitecore SRT6 Flashlight
Retail: $114 ...... Massdrop: $72.49

Nitecore SRT7 Flashlight
Retail: $132 ...... Massdrop: $82.49

65TV4A_20130919_102340_K5GC06WX4Z3X5JQ8BS.png

65TV4A_20130919_095410_LOX68T19II5Y1E6S9C.png

Click any of the links to check out their pages and make a purchase.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Massdrop

Last edited:
Some items are must-haves for the newcomers- I would think all would like a good deal on lighted (leds) helping hands. The magnifying glass on these is a big help when soldering to diode pins.

I have two of these....

Jumbo Helping Hands with LED Lights | eBay

To be attractive a price lower than 10$ with free ship would be needed.

I dont find mine very useful for my iron and these need more weight to be very stable IMO. My plan is to add a bigger base(heavy material) and attach the existing one to it.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJFsFFSDd-BSNBR+NBPu4ow~~60_1 helpin hands and light.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJFsFFSDd-BSNBR+NBPu4ow~~60_1 helpin hands and light.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

NO4H99

A GB on items used with lasers would be very helpful. Eaglepair safety glasses, Nitecore i2/i4 chargers, sanyo or panasonic 18650 or 16340 batteries, AixiZ modules, or even g-lenses would probably be popular group buys. As for lasers themselves, I doubt you will find enough people who want the exact same product.

except for the Eagles= all the rest on your list is offered by members or a company that sponsors us in many great ways.(AixiZ)-- Eye ware is so important profits should come second after safer laser users. Nite core chargers are a much safer way- cheap chargers need to be avoided or used only outdoors away from anything that can catch fire.

The lights Massdrop just posted look very nice and the discount is great but these would appeal more to the LED light folks- as I host for a laser not so much as- for most of us these are too 'spendy' .

Maybe some just starting would like to see good deals on adjustable power supplies and good DMMs. Too many (including myself) skrimp when buying a first soldering station, only to get a better one once we see how poorly the cheap ones work..

Every builder needs nice ESD safe work station or at the very least a wrist band.

One thing hard to find cheap is a nice small slo-speed Hankscraft motor(DC) for Lumia- no faster then.5 to 1 RPM.

There must be more items but ATM that is all I can come up with.

Reactions: GSS
I remember two years ago, this guy "Steve0011" (now banned) messaged me in regards to a new "startup out of Silicon Valley that lets people easily run their own group buys". At the time, I believe massdrop had just started, and Steve/his colleagues were doing a group buy on a car forum. Link here: massdrop.com/swissvax-concorso-concours-wax

I got a lot of messages like that at the time, being someone who ran a considerable number of group buys, but I didn't really mind them. They would usually come and go. I guess these guys weathered the storm, and are actually doing quite well.

While it may feel threatening to someone who runs Group Buys to have a new guy come into the playing field (believe me, I've felt it before too, it's natural) you need to understand that in the end it's all part of a healthy competition. In days prior, the person who could figure out the most efficient way to run the group buy minimizing costs to themselves would run multiple GB's, and then the person who could figure out the best way to forward as much of those savings as possible to the community ended up surviving.

Even if a fancy startup comes in and "steps on some toes", understand that you as an individual still have the upper hand. You don't have investors, and you aren't a business. Any company that comes along, unless they're a 501.c(3), will have the underlying need to make a profit. Therefore, prices will still be marked up slightly, and there is still room for you to come in and compete. The only way to truly "step on toes" is to undercut everyone and GB at true prices, no profit to you. That way, we arrive back to the true meaning of a GROUP buy, and those looking for too much profit are slowly dried out of the playing field.

Just my 2c. tl;dr competition is healthy, do your thing and let the forum grow.

Best,

amk

LazNC

would be nice if we could browse the site without having to login

would be nice if we could browse the site without having to login

Please, don't necro post old threads!!

LanzNC, as ArcticDude said, please don't necropost.
This is a 3 year old thread and it's frowned upon here on LPF, especially if you're not adding any relevant info to the thread.
Also would you kindly add your approx. location to your user info, that way others can help/offer advice relevant to your location.
Different countries have different laws on lasers etc.

Encap

LanzNC, as ArcticDude said, please don't necropost.
This is a 3 year old thread and it's frowned upon here on LPF, especially if you're not adding any relevant info to the thread.
Also would you kindly add your approx. location to your user info, that way others can help/offer advice relevant to your location.
Different countries have different laws on lasers etc.
Ditto
ExactlyRB, has been a dead issue on LPF for 3 years and

LazNC: There never were any completed sales to LPF member from Mass Drop

Please add your location to your information to your details if you expect help or anything beyond minimal response

PS so join and look around---mass drop claims : "In order to offer the lowest prices for products requested by the community, most of our vendors require that we be a members-only site. "
Frankly, you can do just a well on amazon or ebay these days

Last edited:

LazNC

ehhm, sorry i didnt notice how old it was. But the thread is stickied at the top of the forum which is how i found it, and also why i didnt bother checking.

np

afaik most stickys don't die like MassD did .. all talk.. and toe stepping.
IMHO it would be good to close that thread...Wasted our time.

closed