Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Many questions about first 9mm 445nm build!

Re: New 9mm 445 diodes

Hi!

Yes, they are protected! And sure it doesn`t matter what color they are inside the tube!

Honestly I was thinking of ordering them from your link, when I saw worldwide shipping is for free, but it`s a long way and small package, which can be lost easily i guess! I will be very lucky when all the other stuff that I had no chance to get from a local dealer will arrive without any problems!

Also I read about a regulation, that 18650 cells can only be shipped internationally inside a host. Or is that not actual any more?

Anyway one week ago I wasn`t even thinking of spending only one "Cent" for building myself a highpowered laser and now I ordered stuff for this project for about 295 EURO (~ 380 USD) including all the shipping costs!

And this is what i got for it:

1) 445nm 9mm Diode with 2,1A X-Drive in copper module from TDR
2) Steel host with extended and tapered copper heat sink, safety glasses, battery tube extension and focus adapter from survivallaser
3) Two 18650 batteries and a charger

That little "extra cost" didn`t matter any more to me. ;)

Can`t wait till all the stuff arrives! :drool:

Greetings brunes01

Last edited:

I have ordered more packages than I can count from overseas and have never lost one and many of which were quite small. Its not something that happens really.

Lithium cells cannot be exported from the US without being installed into something but there are no rules AFAIK anywhere about importing lithium cells and that website has nothing to do with the US.

Anyway, it seems that money isn't so much a concern and the ones you got will likely reach you much faster so oh well. There are much cheaper(less than half of what you spent TBH) ways to go about building lasers if you decide not to want to spend as much.

Last edited:

Hi!

Ok I agree with the batteries within a second!

But where else I could have been saving half the money I spent?

The diode with driver from TDR alone were 161 $ (153 + 8 for shipping)

And don`t forget in the price are also the safety glasses and the charger! :whistle:

Greetings brunes01

Last edited:

Its cheaper to get your own driver. DTR has the diode, module, lens rig for $103($10 shipping) and you can get a driver from cajunlasers for $19.99. You can get goggles for $11.99 from cajunlasers(granted they aren't the same quality but they are great for casual use and a fraction of the cost) and Cliff offers lower cost international shipping if you ask. Charger for $3.72(free shipping) and batteries for $5.11(also free shipping). So we are looking at about $140 give or take for this so far. DTR sells a totally epic host as well for $36 that I'm fairly certain would be able to be bundled for shipping with the diode rig. So in total you are looking at around $190 or so? I'm not entirely sure what you bought from DTR that was $153.

You can swap out DTR's host/heatsink bundle for the C6 sold by survival lasers and throw in the extension for a little more plus whatever shipping he offers that is the cheapest.

Its almost always cheaper to buy parts separate and build them up yourself.

Its actually cheaper to buy the driver with the diode from DTR. 125$ and free shipping.

If you buy them separate its 103$ to DTR and 19.99 + shipping from Cajun lasers for the driver.

Only difference is shipping though so no big saving really, but if you get it from dtr you never have to solder anything to the diode reducing quite a bit of risk.

I saw the host from TDR and even asked him, but he didn`t have one in stock at the moment.

I purchased the 445nm 9mm Diode In V4 Copper Module W/2.1A X-Drive and a G2 lens from TDR. I`m a noob so I didn`t want to mess it up!

It`s funny that i almost exactly doubled my first calculation! :D

And there is the change from $ to EUR! It always makes you think that`s not so much! :whistle:

Greetings brunes01

Last edited:

I guess that's true price wise but the driver included with the diode is difficult to heatsink properly for most people in high power lasers so IMO its a good idea for lower powers. If the diode wasn't a 9mm(at first I was thinking it was an M140) the driver wouldn't need to be quite so powerful and a Mohgasm would work great and its less than half the price.

Soldering to a diode really isn't that risky if you are careful. I have soldered dozens of diodes and never lost one from soldering issues. The largest risks to a diode(during a build) are ESD, physical damage(damage during pressing) or current spikes.

BTW, the guy is called DTR not TDR.

Last edited:

I hope the extended heat sink will do it`s job!

DTR had told me i could take his x-drive modul when I asked if the host will be suitable for his modules.

It's not the diode I'm talking about heatsinking. I'm talking about the driver. I forget what he has them set to and I'm on my phone but if its 1.8A+ I would highly suggest heatsinking it for reliability and longevity. That requires a small piece of metal either aluminum or copper and some ceramic based thermal epoxy.

That's not the heatsink I'm talking about... I said driver heatsink not diode heatsink. The driver heatsink you have to make yourself out of a piece of metal otherwise you risk overheating your driver. Its nothing to do with the heatsink from Survival Laser. That heatsink is perfectly fine. On that note S4s are still among my favorite hosts and I still have three S4 builds.

BTW Gary, I know the thread is old but why don't you use the stock 9mm lens? Unless you do now that is :p

@ZRaffleticket
I'm probably going to be doing such an attempt myself soon since something got baked on my diode's window.

Last edited:

Hi!

The module I ordered from DTR looks like the one in the attachment.

Will this be good for heat sinking the driver?

Attachments

• x-drive module.JPG
    x-drive module.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 165

Hi!

The module I ordered from DTR looks like the one in the attachment.

Will this be good for heat sinking the driver?

Thats zero heatsinking for the driver. DTR doesn't install any heatsinks on those. At 2.1A I would not suggest running even an X-Drive without a heatsink. To heatsink them you need thermal epoxy and a small piece of metal and then epoxy the metal piece to the large computer ship that you can see in that picture. The goal is to pull heat away from it otherwise you can damage it. The metal should be copper if possible and some people chop up coins with high copper content to use as the heatsink.

@ZRaffleticket
My raw output looks similar to that as well. Its something pretty large cooked on and I cant get it off with alcohol. I was thinking of looking for some acetone to try.

Last edited:

Did you solve the small issue with the two drivers switching out of sync? I noticed while you were mode switching on the other video one driver ended up on high and the other was still on strobe.

Personally, for a dual diode build I would forgo the multimode to avoid that issue entirely.

Last edited: