Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Maniacs of shiny copper, this is Your place ;)

After a deeply intensive hunting around the net, I have found those products:

Pre Lim Cleaner Renaissance Wax for Multi Surfaces | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!qcFC53yMgzUBQ0soqsvig~~60_12.JPG

So, I have ordered the compounds and received them after only 6 days, so I have immediately tried it on one of my Cypreus 2, the XL version.

Those are two shots of my Cypreus before treatment:

6abe57.jpg

87fea1.jpg

The host was polished about 30 days ago with a good italian copper cleaner/polisher:

24312.jpg

... but after a week or so the copper began to change the color to a not uniform redish shades (classical copper issue).

So I start to polish the host with the pre-lim surface cleaner and a soft microfiber cloth like this:

41dpUbfl5AL._SY300_.jpg

After a lot of circular and linear movements, the cloth changed from yellow to black, so I blow to the host to completely dry the surface,
then I polished the surface with a new microfiber cloth.
Here are the results:

9c3c0f.jpg

0e617f.jpg

Since some compund remained stuck between the Cypreus 2 XL fins, I have removed it without problems with this good tool:

7dbba8.jpg

So I take some micro-crystalline wax with my fingers and with all my hands I have energically mixed all the host until the wax began to be very hard to manage because almost solidified. So I stop to manage the host and I blow again a lot to dry completely the wax.
Finally, with the third Meguiar's microfiber cloth :)beer:), I have completed the masterpiece:

fb64f0.jpg

d6f8cc.jpg

Please note that my camera caught the copper colour with much more red hue, but actually is really blonde!

Update: this is a shot with almost real colors in an outdoor environment in a full cloud-free sunrise:

eda585.jpg

Update 2: same thing with the Cypreus II "normal" size:

500b61.jpg

Since the wax preserve the oxidation and the progressive redness of the copper, You will enjoy the host as if it had just been polished for a long time :beer:
Please also note that those products are suitable for all the kind of metals and many many other materials ...

Last edited:

sinner

Its crazy how beautiful it looks.

Here are a few I did for the flashlight EDC 18650 version.
pItYs3E.jpg

I have some of that Renaissance wax that I plan to use on my cyperuses as well. I've used it before on carbon steel katana blades, and it is a good protectant.

I wonder does it work on brass. I could do with giving my Rigel some TLC, but brasso might just be a better option.

I'm planning to use brasso as well to polish the host. Then apply the Renaissance wax to protect it from further corrosion.

In Italy there is an equivalent brasso product called "Duraglit":

6086d1217756247-via-libera-alluso-di-coollaboratory-liquid-duraglit-metalli.jpg

I don't know if it use the same formula, but the can is almost identical ...

I have some of that Renaissance wax that I plan to use on my cyperuses as well. I've used it before on carbon steel katana blades, and it is a good protectant.

How would this work on plain carbon steel? I'm making something for Flaminpyro and I neeed to keep it from rusting. I'm thinking of bluing it but even then it has to have a coat of oil. There will be moving parts, so I can't just paint it.

How would this work on plain carbon steel? I'm making something for Flaminpyro and I neeed to keep it from rusting. I'm thinking of bluing it but even then it has to have a coat of oil. There will be moving parts, so I can't just paint it.

I've used it on blades of varying grades of carbon steel, and it works great. Supposedly it's used by museums to protect ancient metal from corrosion. It forms a hard protective layer after it "sets" That's difficult to remove. It seems to do the job! :beer: