Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making gunpowder with potassium permanganate

does anyone know the potassium permanganate to sugar ratio? i'm guessing it to be 50-50 maybe 70-30. i just came across this genius site www.cannonfuse.com which sells like M-80 (and bigger) tubes, tube plugs, and of course cannon fuse. this years 4th was simply too great and the excitement just won't leave me :p i must have more! also if you know of any other cheap powder remedies please share your knowledge.

Chad

I seem to remember the ratio being something like 65/35, yeah... You might want to get a second opinion on that, though. ;D

rkcstr

From what I've heard, permanganate mixtures can be unstable. I'd suggest sticking to perchlorate or nitrate. Don't forget the dark aluminum ;)

rkcstr said:
From what I've heard, permanganate mixtures can be unstable. I'd suggest sticking to perchlorate or nitrate. Don't forget the dark aluminum ;)

yea, decided to stick with perchlorate and aluminum powder. though permanganate would have been 1/2 the cost.

GAH!!!! Potassium Permanganate is not something that ever should be used in fireworks! I remember when I was into pyro when I would make tiny amounts of permanganate flash and detonate it by rubbing it against a brick or crushing it with a rock. If you want to make flash, stick with something like nitrate or perchlorate, but by all means stay away from permanganate.

If you don't believe me about the sensitivity, go mix up a little bit of KMnO4 with some sugar and grind it with a rock, it will light on fire.

Also, I suggest against messing with flash. You can get in HUGE trouble with the law if you are caught plus flash is extremely dangerous.

$250 fine for possession of illegal fireworks :-/ saw it posted at a few stands. But i'll be making 1.4 pounds of powder. don't know what the penalty is for that much lol can't be good thats for sure! Gonna make some 1" x 3.5" x 3/32" bombs. aka M250 aka silver salute. very nice. don't worry about me, i'll be careful lol ;D

HumanSymphony said:
$250 fine for possession of illegal fireworks :-/ saw it posted at a few stands. But i'll be making 1.4 pounds of powder. don't know what the penalty is for that much lol can't be good thats for sure! Gonna make some 1" x 3.5" x 3/32" bombs. aka M250 aka silver salute. very nice. don't worry about me, i'll be careful lol ;D
They won't get you for illegal fireworks, they will count you for illegal possession and storage of explosives. Here in the US if the ATF has reason to believe you are using explosives unlicensed they will come raid your house and take any evidence.

styropyro said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1216592593/0#5 date=1216609323]$250 fine for possession of illegal fireworks :-/ saw it posted at a few stands. But i'll be making 1.4 pounds of powder. don't know what the penalty is for that much lol can't be good thats for sure! Gonna make some 1" x 3.5" x 3/32" bombs. aka M250 aka silver salute. very nice. don't worry about me, i'll be careful lol ;D
They won't get you for illegal fireworks, they will count you for illegal possession and storage of explosives. Here in the US if the ATF has reason to believe you are using explosives unlicensed they will come raid your house and take any evidence.[/quote]

I doubt they're gonna come raid some "punk kid's" house. I've known a few adults to get busted with this calibre of explosive. Nothing but a fine and confiscation. But hey, ya never know :-/ tis the price of fun.

rkcstr

1.4 lbs??  I wouldn't do that!  I would stick to under 50g (less than 0.13lb), as its small enough that accidental ignition wouldn't do much unconfined.  But, as much as you're talking is more than enough to seriously hurt yourself or others and more!  Not to mention, as styro said, is highly illegal to produce. At those amounts its dangerous without needing confined!

tomcat

mix it in batches and only combine them when goin for the final bomb and to have even more fun : waterproof it adn light / throw in water ( big lake) for a damn good depth charge and a 40foot high water plume

ha dont worry i wont be mixing all at once. about 20-30g (however much i can fit in a 1" x 3.5" tube) per bomb all done individually.

whats a good website for the dark aluminum and perchlorate now? I cant find the stuff anywhere without a bunch of hassle.

I used to make the stuff years ago when the ingredients were really easy to get.

diachi

Potassium Nitrate Charcoal and Sulphur = black powder ;) be careful

rkcstr

Hey tomcat/humansymphony, please don't refer to "bombs" as that's the way to attract unwanted attention for a discussion merely about firecrackers (ok, maybe big firecrackers  :p).  In this day and age, the wrong words, even if they are harmless, can get you in trouble.

As for sources, I don't think posting websites or places would be a good idea.  Just search Google for what you want and it'll give it to you.  Also, just a side note, any supplier WILL NOT sell you both components and will promptly ban any orders if they think you intend to make flash powder, so don't try.

Perhaps not the best time in American history to be asking how to make bombs on the internet...BIG SAM...is watching...I dunno maybe its just the Winston Smith inside me talking...but you never know...

brtaman

daguin

brtaman said:
Perhaps not the best time in American history to be asking how to make bombs on the internet...BIG SAM...is watching...I dunno maybe its just the Winston Smith inside me talking...but you never know...
brtaman

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!​

And Rkcstr, changing the form doesn't help. The filters are quite comprehensive.

Peace,
dave