Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Magnetic Levitator Build 2

Fiddy

G'day,

Here's another magnetic levitator kit i bought and built.

I bought it from here: Electromagnetic Levitation System

This one comes with a really nice aluminum stand and base!

maglev.jpg

This kit is a bit better than the one i bought previous, it has:

• Bigger electromagnet
  • Better feedback system
  • 3x push buttons to move levitated object up & down and one to store that value!

The only real thing i don't like is the base is not heavy/long enough to support large objects when levitating, it will tend to fall over, think ill mount it on a long piece perspex to prevent this.

Video

Thanks for looking!

Fiddy.

Last edited:

Fiddy

Confuse friends and family when they put there hand between the electromagnet and magnet :p

tee

That is cool! I bought a Levitron for the kids, damn thing is fascinating. Also bought the perpetuator, makes the top levitate and spin for days. Magnets have always had my interest.

Lase

It's a great way to store your keys without putting holes in walls :p

Do they have bigger kits?

Lase

Last edited:

HIMNL9

There is a phisical factor involved, that limit the maximum possible size and distance for "levitating" objects, and it's called "inverse square law" ..... this make the force decreasing with the square of the distance, not with the distance itself.

My english is bad enough, so, simplifying, if you have a magnet that pull 1Kg at 1 cm, the same magnet don't pull 1/2 Kg at 2cm, but only 1/4 ..... and at 3 cm, it's not 1/3 of KG, it's 1/9 ..... and so on ..... (or, if you prefer, for pull 1 Kg at 3 cm, you need 9 times the magnetic field, instead 3 times) .....

This limit a lot the long-distance applications ..... if that kit for keep that magnet at 1 cm from the coil need, say, 1W of power, for keep the magnet at 1 meter you need 10000W of power, not 100 ..... for 2 meters, it become 40000W, for 3 meters 90000W. and so on ;)

cool project i love magnetic stuff a few years ago i made a levitator for a science project in school but i used 2 pieces of Pyrolytic Graphite as a diamagnetic material and a magnet over head etc etc. essentially a diy version of this K&J Magnetics - Products ....

anyways awesome project i love magnets :p

Just made one using an arduino, unfortunately I don't have the hall effect sensor and had to use a photodiode instead: