Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Made Laminar Water Jet

I've built one of those. I never though to put a laser on it though. They're pretty cool.

-Tony

I'm so tempted to build one of those... not that I'd have anything to do with it, but that's never stopped me before ;)

^ i'm the same way, see something cool and spend several afternoons replicating it only
to find i've dumped more money into it than expected and now i've got something
thats "cool" but i don't have any real use for :crackup:

Compulsivness is bliss!

Things

I've built a laminar jet before, but had a hard time polishing the fiber to let enough light through. That and like everyone else, don't have a real use for it.

Cheers,
Dan

JLSE

I've built a laminar jet before, but had a hard time polishing the fiber to let enough light through. That and like everyone else, don't have a real use for it.

Cheers,
Dan

If the fiber is any sort of plastic, just hit it with a flame, or dip in acetone.
You get an instant polish that looks clear as glass. Ive done this with small
fiber optics pieces, found it to be the most effective methods.

That's sweet :D They should have used something like this in Mythbusters when they were trying to make that water pistol stun gun :p

A laser would likely exhibit a sort of 'triangle wave' pattern in the water column, as it reflected off of the sides, depending on how acute the angle of entry is. Like /\/\/\/\/\/ .

It wouldn't illuminate the whole column unless the laser itself was really divergent or uncollimated, but it may give a cool look in a laminar stream nonetheless. Especially if you used two at opposite points of entry...