Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M462 Build I almost ruined!

Hey everyone, so I got a host from Ricker a couple weeks ago and when I got all the parts together.
Diode module with driver (DTR)
Thermal adhesive and Compund (Survival) which I wasn’t gonna need but I’m glad I did buy it,
Host from Ricker.
Okay so I didn’t realize that I wasn’t really supposed to unscrew the actual head where the pill and board Battery plate was, but I did and had already put paste on the module only because I didn’t have an Alen wrench that would work so I decided to go ahead and glue it to the heatsink because I didn’t wanna go buy a wrench at this moment, once I did this and put the heatsink back on and installed the batteries the batteries were popping the pill into the head making it lose connection. I thought, uh oh! Now I can’t fix it because the adhesive already hardened so the module was sealed into the heatsink.
I fixed this problem by using a bunch of adhesive to try and glue the pill to the host, not to disperse heat but just to try and keep it from popping out again, kinda a waste of adhesive but this is all I had. So far it works as long as the Arctic holds and I think it will.

I apologize if this sounds confusing I just wanna be clear that this isn’t a defect or problem with Ricker’s host this was simply my fault for being in a hurry and trying to complete this one before a certain time frame and not thinking it through.
I do wanna say thanks again to Jordan, Gary, and Ricker for making this possible. :)

Attachments

• 591FB252-692D-44DA-87E8-4AF8692754C8.jpeg
    591FB252-692D-44DA-87E8-4AF8692754C8.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 0150AB6C-79F3-4F34-A94E-6BD87427CB6B.jpeg
    0150AB6C-79F3-4F34-A94E-6BD87427CB6B.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 42
  • 1625CFD0-6F03-4CD3-AE16-02CD81B7494B.jpeg
    1625CFD0-6F03-4CD3-AE16-02CD81B7494B.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 42611F69-A1D3-4BED-89A8-B1BAD4D9C189.jpeg
    42611F69-A1D3-4BED-89A8-B1BAD4D9C189.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DDC8D5EA-9E2D-4AEF-A53B-233CAA33A907.jpeg
    DDC8D5EA-9E2D-4AEF-A53B-233CAA33A907.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 60

Wow! I can't believe you used thermal adhesive instead of tightening the set screw. You won't get near the thermal conduction you would had you used the screw. Even with the set screw tightened I would never use thermal adhesive between the module and the heat sink. I would keep the run times low as this sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Good luck.

One thing I liked about Ehgemus hosts was he always included the proper allen wrench with every single host i bought from him, no matter how many, they all came with that wrench.

One thing I liked about Ehgemus hosts was he always included the proper allen wrench with every single host i bought from him, no matter how many, they all came with that wrench.

That is/was true of many hosts. I still have hosts with their ubiquitous allen wrenches. This is my first post from my phone. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Every time one of you more senior members mentions Ehgemus builds I get super jealous:cryyy::cryyy:. Truthfully, his builds are the main reason I came to the forum. I love lasers, but a beautiful host always makes it so much more incredible.

BobMc

Well it is a learning curve. Might make it hard to get back into if/when the need arises. But till than you got some photons to play with. So enjoy :)

Wow! I can't believe you used thermal adhesive instead of tightening the set screw. You won't get near the thermal conduction you would had you used the screw. Even with the set screw tightened I would never use thermal adhesive between the module and the heat sink. I would keep the run times low as this sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Good luck.
yeah that was definitely not my smartest moment, I just hope it last for some years to come. I hope that in the future if something happens ill somehow be able to get that thing out of there. ill keep it under a minute most likely, It kinda sucks because I have 10 different alen wrinch's and none would fit :(

see that's good, Ricker probably would have sent me one if I would have asked, I guess that's what I get lol

Well it is a learning curve. Might make it hard to get back into if/when the need arises. But till than you got some photons to play with. So enjoy :)
very true and thanks bob :D

Nice final build, Richie!! Gotta love that nice blue, huh?! Enjoy your new photons!!
:beer:

thanks ShotGun, I definitely will :)

I loved your last photo. Seeing laser from "Dad" for Christmas gives me the warm fuzzies. Of course, now I'm the dad, but I have given lasers as Christmas presents.

Hey, Richie see if you can find RTV base thermal adhesive. Far easier to override than epoxies or ceremic types.

I loved your last photo. Seeing laser from "Dad" for Christmas gives me the warm fuzzies. Of course, now I'm the dad, but I have given lasers as Christmas presents.
Hey Paul, I’m a little confused at the box, it actually looks like Dad but it says laptop charger and psp. It actually looks like Dad, is that what you were taking about? :/

Hey, Richie see if you can find RTV base thermal adhesive. Far easier to override than epoxies or ceremic types.
Oh that definitely helps, I’ll check that out because to be honest, I hated having to waste such a good product like arctic thermal adhesive on something so silly :(

Last edited:
Maybe I was mistaken, but I saw the box from "Dad" and next to it the Jet Lasers box and assumed they both came from the same person. If the laser came from another, then it still gave me a good feeling as I was a single parent to my daughter who is now in her mid thirties and remember many Christmases where the giving gave me so much joy.

I usually use thermal adhesive on something I either can't tap a hole into, nor have a way to fasten onto something easily. One example I have done recently, I used Arctic Alumina adhesive on a DTR specials 20mm diode heatsink (with back end removed) onto the Convoy S2+ LED flashlight's driver pill (with center hole drilled out for the diode pins to feed through), that way the heatsink stays attached the way I like, hard enough for the metal washer to be installed into LED flashlight head, and fasten together (of course without anything on the thread as I want to be able to remove the laser pill to swap out the driver).

Even if you think it's a waste, I recommend saving for some custom build you may think up of. I would suggest using the Torx screw that the laser diode kit usually comes with, along with the best thermal paste, that way you can easily replace the diode if necessary - Arctic Alumina adhesive is a surprisingly strong adhesive than the JB Weld, thus requiring a lot of force to break the bond as it's considered a permanent two-part glue. So I usually look at my pieces and bits before I decide whether necessary to apply that powerful two-part adhesive. I may tap the back of the 20mm laser diode heatsink the next time, maybe with the 505nm Emerald green laser build.

Last edited:
Maybe I was mistaken, but I saw the box from "Dad" and next to it the Jet Lasers box and assumed they both came from the same person. If the laser came from another, then it still gave me a good feeling as I was a single parent to my daughter who is now in her mid thirties and remember many Christmases where the giving gave me so much joy.

awe that's so sweet :)
yes I guess its because I'm getting older but I absolutely love Christmas because the feeling I get when buying for someone else, I remember being a kid and only caring about what I got under the tree lol. but I can honestly say that I genuinely get more excited to see my families face when they open a gift that I had put some thought into getting for them :)
ill bet you are a great dad Paul :D

Reactions: GSS
I was a single parent since 1986 and my daughter is now in her mid thirties. But, I tried to be the best I could for her growing up, and still do as she will always be my little girl. :yh:

I was a single parent since 1986 and my daughter is now in her mid thirties. But, I tried to be the best I could for her growing up, and still do as she will always be my little girl. :yh:

that she will Paul :)