Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140: Powering with USB?

TimTom

Hi guys,

today I got the idea to power up a M140 diode with a USB from my pc, because I don't have a driver atm. that is working and I want some fun with my lazor's.

I heard, that they give me about 500mA up to 1,5A. Is it true, if yes, useful or possible for the diode?

Would be cool ^-^

Thank you,

Tim

jimdt7

That's not a good idea nor for the PC nor for the diode...it could damage both! :beer:
I suggest you buy a boost driver if you plan to power your diode from a USB port! ;)

Jim

ARG

You can't hook it up directly as USB is constant voltage and you need constant current.

TimTom;

In spite of the comments, your diode can be hooked up directly to a USB voltage source.

1. You must have the diode in a good heat sink.

2. Then you must check the current when hooked up to your 5 VDC USB port (they will vary) If current is too high for the diode, then you will need a resistor to lower the current.

I have a 445nm diode hooked up to a new 4.35 VDC lithium cell for a direct drive @ 700ma. It has been operated that way for over 1 year.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/direct-drive-445-host-52918.html

LarryDFW

ARG

In spite of the comments, your diode can be hooked up directly to a USB voltage source.

1. You must have the diode in a good heat sink.

2. Then you must check the current when hooked up to your 5 VDC USB port (they will vary) If current is too high for the diode, then you will need a resistor to lower the current.

I have a 445nm diode hooked up to a new 4.35 VDC lithium cell for a direct drive @ 700ma. It has been operated that way for over 1 year.

Just because something can be done does not mean it's a good idea ;)
If you must hook up the diode directly to a voltage source at least use a resistor to drop the excess voltage, 5V is too high for an M140.

and this is why we have dialog. whether some thing is safe or not is now up to the op to decide =p

jimdt7

I once tried powering my A-140 straight from a 9V battery....it WORKED! (for a week) :shhh:

Jim

NKO29

I have powered a 300mW red off of USB WITH DRIVER just fine :) However you'd probably want a high end desktop motherboard to do higher currents.

At 5V, the M140 would allow ~3.5-4A, which is too much for this little beastie, and definitely would either trip a temporary fuse on your computer or just burn up that USB port. Visually extrapolated from this graph: http://cms.diodenring.de/images/stories/electronic/laser_diode/diode_1-3_voltage.png

A blu-ray diode is a different story, with a higher Vf range within which 5V falls fairly comfortably.

I have an A140 build (well, I used to, can't find it right now :( ) that is direct driven from an 18650, but even at 4.2V, a typical 445nm diode will only allow ~800mA, which is easy peasy for an 18650.

If you must hook up the diode directly to a voltage source at least use a resistor to drop the excess voltage, 5V is too high for an M140.

It depends on the source of the USB power and the wiring.

Most USB sources will sag ~ 1/2 volt under that load (several amps).

My 445nm direct drive runs @ 4.4 VDC and only delivers 650 ma.

A 0.22 ohm resistor would be a good idea, to test the current with.

LarryDFW

Last edited: