Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 Diode

Nae K

Holy hell, so I just got this M140 like someone on the forum here suggested from my previous post(Thank you). And It is really really small, Any idea on how to keep this cool? Any enclosures anyone would recommend?

Nae K

Ah, thank you. Im far from well versed on any of this and just want to make sure I pick the right module. Thank you.

That is a 5.6 mm diameter diode. So, you'll likely need a 12 mm module to press it into. But, you can't use the acrylic lens that comes with the modules as it will melt. Also, at anywhere near 1.8 amps drive current you'll need a more substantial heat sink for it or contend with very short run times. I have used this diode to build at least a dozen pointers and I used sinner's MS-Envy host for half of them. You will want something larger than the 501B hosts as those heat sinks are too small, IMO. You should also pick up a single element aspheric glass lens for it. They can be had on eBay for $8.00 or less.

Benm

You usually put it in the 12mm* diode casing first, and then put that in a suitable heatsink. I'd start with much lower currents too, just to get a bit of a feel for the things without burning out diode after diode due to some bad thermal contact situation.

As for the lenses: at these power levels you do need proper glass lenses with suitable anti-reflective coatings on them too. You don't need to get the most expensive ones, but the standard plastic ones that come with aixiz 12 mm modules will not last.

*12 mm is/was the default module diameter, you can get things like 20 mm nowadays too which couple onto further heatsinks better.

The 20 mm modules are available from DTR, but they are more expensive than the 12 mm ones. They are also copper, so that adds to the expense. But, copper is the best of all metals used for heat sinking. You can pick up 12 mm copper modules in the TO-18 size for this diode from DTR for less money than the 20 mm copper modules. It is best to have the press that is made to press these diodes into the 12 mm modules. Otherwise you run the risk of it not seating properly. Most of the glass lenses are AR coated for the 445nm wavelength, so that is quite easy to find. You actually have to look to find lenses AR coated for other wavelengths.

Please tell us about your laser glasses--what OD and nm?
-- you will need to get those NEXT not later.. not after you are down to just one good eye or when you need glasses to see anything.

Do you know what color the eye protection lens is for your diode? a blue laser diode? Whoever suggested that M-140 diode needed to tell you this --or DID they?
whatever the hell you do --please protect your eyes & IF you DO have an accident PLEASE DO NOT POST IN OUR FORUM--see a doctor-- we cannot and do not give medical advice of any kind.

wishing you the best... hak

Hi, Len. That would be me. The OP said he has a 1 watt laser that he paid much more money for and was asking how to remove the diode to use in something else. Since it was a 445nm laser, I told him it would be better to buy the diode than to harvest the one out of the laser he bought. People who already have lasers don't cause me to go into the eye safety issue as I assume they are already aware, so I don't remember if I mentioned it or not.

Not a problem Paul.. I must admit I was dumber than a bag of rocks when I 1st got addicted.. err I mean interested . And had a few close calls.. an old Vet said this to me..' Only time and experience can allow us to work with lasers and know when the goggles are a Must BUT also we gain a sixth sense -- averting our eyes when others (non laser) would be looking and risking an eye injury-- I saw that SELEM many times.. eyewear around the neck on atop the had or cap.. BUT not on their eyes very often. I Saw hands held by faces should a laser beam come near or when they were ''coming thru" .

None that would instant burn like CopperVapor (?) = My point is anyone that is 'new to lasers' is also new to REAL laser safety. IF they read, well thats -- good ..BUT not enough..

So we rightfully are not joking about being safe ..and a 'nerdy' they may feel or look?? Accidents will happen//
AND imho If they wear them only when THEY feel they should..not good as by not having 'experience' those accidents will keep happening . . Trial by fire. Sometimes a close call can be a wake-up..

The balcony In the big auditorium at SELEM is where mega W of beams a comin' right at you. The termination of 20 some full color projectors doing beam shows.. the stage has 3 wide 2 high scaffolding where they PJs are placed and all connected!!
Power By Pangolin.

All my cameras were OK.. myb I was lucky.
First time 'up there' -- wow rush.. and that good feeling we love to have ... 'THIS is why we do this and come here' The sound sys is awesome. In all of the venues there. 2019 is year 13.. and if I am lucky I will be there (my sixth).
you can make it happen if you really want to go..
Too much happens at SELEM.. more things than we can just say.
go to the SELEM thread and sub it.. all US and some other countries have LEMs and ours is taken care of by 'buffo' at pl.-- hundreds of posts still there from past SELEMs - lots of pics vids ytube etc etc-- looks fine. in person 'FINE' is not even close.

The OP for each year has a list .. these are members and guest already paid.
And have given their polo shirt size.. nice work on these shirts.. real monogram that is new each year.
The guest gets in free IF NOT a laser forum member.
Just getting to meet these people is well worth the effort and cost.
Twice I SHARED a suite with four others and one was Dr Sam

two years in a row..he was 'our' guest..

Would not have happened w/o the help and $$ support on the parts of many from both forums ..
There was no $$ from SELEM (as they do not always break even) but Sam got Special Guest treatment.
Members Picked him up in Philly and he got home the same way.. lots of great help. many got time to talk to Sam. ( had some of those 'good feelings' then and again just now).. hak

.. hope Sam comes next year.

What none at SELEM will say.. 'Why Lasers' .
.. same ole same ole

Glasses on- hat brims down.. it is a place that w/o SELEM very few would experience

Nae K

Hi guys, just seeing this. First off! Thank you Paul, hakzaw, benm and Nexgen. Second, I am taking safety before I use the diode, I haven't powered the M140 at all yet but regarding the first post that Paul replied too(thank you) I was using safety glasses for that laser/laser wavelength when I used that one. Both are 445nm, and I should be able to use the same glasses however if not I have no problem buying a correct pair, I value my eyes and a bit of cash on a good pair is well worth it. Thank you guys however for the information, time and care towards my safety.

I have three questions to ask please.
1.Is the new 470nm blue, better looking than the 445nm one?
2. Is the 470nm 's diode more robust than the 445's?
3. There is a possibility to choose between one 7W 445nm and one 5W 470nm.Which you think is more sensible purchase?

GSS

Theodore, i'm confused as to why ask on this thread?
Did I miss that Nae K has a planned 470nm diode?
Only 470's that I know of are the 07E's on Dtr's sight and have a fixed Gball. So decanning it for a G2 might just cause earlier deterioration than not.

Sorry, but I have many months out of the forum,so I learned about 470nm lasers only today.So,f you can help, where should I "go" to read about ?

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Yeah I haven't seen you post post in a while...:)
There was some talk of them recently and just a quick note they have to be pushed to at least 4W to reach 470nm but they can take that power easy. Give me time to find that recent thread that DTR himself chimed in on..;)