Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia rig buildout vids

WTW-??
no posts in this awesome thread- ?? that aint right- PB is one of the best-

BUMP
+6 for the OP

hak

Very cool stuff.

I'm surprised I did not see this before, so thanks for bumping it up Hak.

N/P

--PB is a great member- hope to see his LUMIA machines at SELEM this year-

he can be very helpful when figuring out how to lay everything out- his builds are very pro looking-
I will be putting up a bunch on new LUMIA pics/vids - some new builds etc- but will do that at the LUMIA thread- a link will be placed here--

news- 'tightshoes' found a source of RPH motors

Herbach

(Revs Per HOUR!)-thats the 'slow' I want..

OldNo7

I can't believe I haven't seen this one before. Thanks Hak

N/P

he can be very helpful when figuring out how to lay everything out- his builds are very pro looking-
I will be putting up a bunch on new LUMIA pics/vids - some new builds etc- but will do that at the LUMIA thread- a link will be placed here--

Herbach

Waiting on link.. Looks amazing.

N/P

Herbach

How slow??? Waiting on link.

I saw this thread earlier and didn't comment, but yes, very pretty :) But VERY complicated setup.

I'm currently working on assembling a RGB lumia with the water polymer balls and defocused lens that was demoed last SELEM, surprised I haven't seen more of those from anyone

Last edited:
N/P

--PB is a great member....... his builds are very pro looking-

Thanks, will you be at SELEM< this rig will be there.

As for pro looking, not really, my personal builds are often a kludge together make it work and grow it bigger.

What I did for several effects was bought some test tubes, and MAP gas. I heated the ends and then blew into them making my balls that could then be dimpled or bubbled more with heat. Sounds similar to this water polymer ball.

Pman

Honestly what you've done here amazes me. I too want to know where the revs per hour motors are. It seems like the slower the better and my 1/3 rpm motors (at least that's what I remember them as) turn too fast.
I haven't messed with lumina stuff in a long time. Kind of got a bit frustrated with trying to make a great disc or bulb that would work wonders with those motors most of us were/are using plus you really need lab units for stability.
Repped your second post as a way to do it again;)
I am curious PB how many others make a rig this elaborate to show? What else have you done beside lumina rigs? I mean do you also build your own laser projector? It would surprise me if you didnt.

Last edited:
Honestly what you've done here amazes me. I too want to know where the revs per hour motors are. It seems like the slower the better and my 1/3 rpm motors (at least that's what I remember them as) turn too fast.
I haven't messed with lumina stuff in a long time. Kind of got a bit frustrated with trying to make a great disc or bulb that would work wonders with those motors most of us were/are using plus you really need lab units for stability.
Repped your second post as a way to do it again;)
I am curious PB how many others make a rig this elaborate to show? What else have you done beside lumina rigs? I mean do you also build your own laser projector? It would surprise me if you didnt.

I had messed with the water polymer balls, but found blowing my own glass using testtubes, heated with map gas then blown worked best. caution if you attempt the glass can explode wear safety equipment as any glass blower would.

motor speed, i use a cludge of whatever i have around, this boxes used 2 different type gm20 drivers, 3 different speed controls, and two seperate computer interfaces and a ttl control box. Just to cheap to spend money when i can make it work. The speed my motors are some 1/3, some 1, and a few 2rpm. The key is i have them all on PWM speed controls so I can walk them to the best speed.

I typed a long post earlier only to have my ipad lockup when i went to add pictures. anyhow ill try to attach them now.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    92 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 5 (2).JPG
    photo 5 (2).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I got afaik the last of the AC 1/3rpm motors from Fred at the shed (surplusshed)

'tightshoes; found a source albeit more expensive for the same(~4X higher)
BUT the also offer many RPH motors as well- I paid for a 4 and 5 RPM a week ago and no word yet on the UPS shipping that wa salso very spendy.

1/3rpm is nice when using torture tubes or others that are small
BUT if you want to use large discs ( and NOT be close to the center)or round glass (as large as a basebal ie)you may find , due to large diameter, that 1/3 rpm is too fast (depending a little upon the BPM of the used music)

with shipping two BPH ac motors will set you back about 55$

I may reach out to them and see if a GB can be arranged to save some$$ OR I may seek the ability to get these cheaper as wholesale to re-sell.

brb with a link

here you go
From Lee aka 'tightshoes'

Hey thanks once again for your very valuable input.
Yes, this is 8 rph. Some of this glass is very busy in certain areas on the cup. Nice looking images though. I ditched the 2 rph idea.
Good luck with the motors. If you haven't already try Herbach or NRIparts. I've stuck with the little synchronous "C" mount motors so I can change em around try diff speeds.
Undecided on the 473 at the moment. Sticking with standard colors RGB for now but thx for all the info on them.

Lee

I ordered a 4 and 5 RPM ac motor about 55$ with shipping-

waitng now for UPS

I need these due to the size of round glass I am using (~3.5 inches diameter)
it 'moves faster' due to its size -

haklumia

Last edited: