Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM with Ophir Sensor from nospin - Awesome!

nospin

Kenom

I'm not trying to copy anything, I got a great deal on a lot of these Ophir Thermopiles
and came up with smartly designed supporting hardware to get the most out of these superb heads and the power needed to run it.

And a metal enclosure

As for how it zeros out

04-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Here is what its doing
when you touch the heat sink or heat the sensor disc you are speeding up the equalization of temperature
difference between the sensor disc and the sink by changing the temperature of one of the junction sides
It doesn't effect the final value, that is achieved with a fine calibration adjustment.
Whether you touch it or not when you stop effecting the difference between the two
sides it will eventually settle to the calibration setting.

Jim

I'm an honest man and I've been involved in electronics since the sixty's
and built my first laser in 1982 and it still works!

This is a great and well built meter and I would never try to copy some others
achievements.

I built this unit without seeing any other hobbyist LPM's

I have the highest respect for you Ken!

Jim

nospin

OMG Ken

I just read the entire thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/k...meter-interest-lite-version-closed-45280.html

And I'm not sure what your talking about

The poor souls that sent you $ and waited for months for a meter that needs more
parts to be sent

Power supply issues that could lead to Thermopile damage

A hack zeroing pot that throws off the accuracy of the readings

overheating 5 volt regulation issues

Continual power supply modifications

asking people to buy a product sight unseen and untested

Why would anyone want to COPY that!

Jim

jayrob

There is nothing in my opinion special about this meter. It is essentially an almost exact clone of my Kenometer Lites that I was selling for a lot cheaper. The enclosure utilizes a cheezy looking wood grain, that looks like my alarm clock. Granted my enclosures for the lites weren't all that special, but my meters weren't highly elevated like this.

The head does not auto zero. I know, I've got a ton of them. As a matter of fact, you got yours from the exact same source I did, which now that they are all gone, I'm not afraid to reveal. EBAY.

Ya gonna copy the pro and usb next?

Wow man...

I just want to say that I did not intend for this review to have this effect...

I never even considered the possibility that you would think it was a 'copy' Ken. In fact, I did not even know what sensor you are using. I thought it was Coherent?? And yours is on the inside of the enclosure right? But the Pro has the sensor outside?

I was asked if I wanted to take a look at the Ophir meter, compare it's readings with my Coherent, and possibly review it. He even sent me a pre-paid return label.

So I gave my honest opinion. I never have had the privilege to check out one of your meters Ken, but the Kenometer Pro sure does look good in your thread!

Anyway, hope there's no hard feelings. Because it was just an honest review and comparison with my meter readings...

Last edited:
OMG Ken

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/k...meter-interest-lite-version-closed-45280.html

The poor souls that sent you $ and waited for months for a meter that needs more
parts to be sent

Jim

Whoa whoa whoa...I suggest you do some research on Ken before you hop into the saddle of your high horse. He's sold meters here before, and is one of the most trusted members of this forum. And as to your other comments, every item goes through developmental problems, nothing has been made that was designed from scratch and worked perfectly the first time. And every person that sent him money knew they might be in for a wait, they paid for quality, and that's what they'll get, no matter if it takes a little time. It's not as if he took the money and just disappeared, he has been continually updating his threads and working on the meter. And despite his recent issues, he's still been working hard on the meters and getting them out to his customers. My $0.02

OMG Ken

parts to be sent

Jim

Well that was one way to look like a dick...

And can you honestly say that you decided to manufacture and sell lpms without looking to see who else was selling them? You did no market research? I don't care how good your LPM's are, you aren't going to sell many going about like that

Rob

Kenom

ha! thanks for the support guys but I'll admit my lites were very poorly designed. however I figured for a price of $150 for a true radial thermopile, it would do teh job... I didn't want to do a lot of research into how to perfect a temporary means of securing some research funds for the Pro's. which is all teh Lites were.

I mean even laserbee complained of the build quality of the meters i sent to him and rightfully so! They were horribly build and not very well thought out. I knew that the sensor put out a simple 1mv/mw reading and all I needed to do was just power it, and send it to a panel meter. The sensors shouldn't be inside the case cause the voltage regulator does create heat. Needless to say, I never intended the Lites to ever become a standard product in my product line.

Jay, you need not apologize. You did nothing wrong. Nor really has anyone else. I'm just stating that these meters are overpriced and nothing special. The head comes PRE-CALIBRATED and new from a surplus source. I paid $60 a pop for them and he probably got them at $40 each. Sure is a lot of profit.

I do intend on sending you a Kenometer Pro to review as well as to Daguin as I'd like some true honest opinions of these meters./...

/thread highjack

Last edited:

jayrob

ha! thanks for the support guys but I'll admit my lites were very poorly designed. however I figured for a price of $150 for a true radial thermopile, it would do teh job... I didn't want to do a lot of research into how to perfect a temporary means of securing some research funds for the Pro's. which is all teh Lites were.

I mean even laserbee complained of the build quality of the meters i sent to him and rightfully so! They were horribly build and not very well thought out. I knew that the sensor put out a simple 1mv/mw reading and all I needed to do was just power it, and send it to a panel meter. The sensors shouldn't be inside the case cause the voltage regulator does create heat. Needless to say, I never intended the Lites to ever become a standard product in my product line.

Jay, you need not apologize. You did nothing wrong. Nor really has anyone else. I'm just stating that these meters are overpriced and nothing special. The head comes PRE-CALIBRATED and new from a surplus source. I paid $60 a pop for them and he probably got them at $40 each. Sure is a lot of profit.

I do intend on sending you a Kenometer Pro to review as well as to Daguin as I'd like some true honest opinions of these meters./...

/thread highjack

Hey I brought up the Kenometer Pro, and since I started the thread, it's not a thread jack! :)

But yeah from what I have seen pictures of, the Pro looks pretty sweet...

I better start saving up for that too then! I know I'll want to keep it...

Kenom

But yeah from what I have seen pictures of, the Pro looks pretty sweet...

I better start saving up for that too then! I know I'll want to keep it...

Hahahah I've no doubt.

Rob, weren't you going to get a Pro with your upgrade? (as soon as you sell your Argon)

I sure am. Just need to get someone to buy it. Hopefullly it will all be sorted soon

nospin

No sweat Ken

I meant what I said about the respect I have for you!

And your Kenometer lite units were a fantastic deal "the sensors were worth way more than the cost"

My meters were designed and built entirely from my electronics background and experience not from stealing from the competition.

I am honored to be associated with everyone who enjoys this hobby

Jim

Last edited:
So... I guess you guys wouldn't mind if I designed an LPM using those
same heads if I could find some more...:whistle:

BTW... I always check out the competition... It's the only way to know
what else is missing for a new design...:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:
Yes. Only optical sensors need correction charts/can't detect certain wavelengths.

Good!

Now someone need to make a 1nm laser and a 1000m laser so can measure them:D

nospin

That is correct!

the broadband absorber on the thermopile is very flat across the entire spectrum so measurements from any laser are accurate.

nospin