Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM Design: A Beginner's Guide

What are you guys majors? Im doing a double, EE and CS. That can still change though, and i'm not sure if I should go CPE, CPE/CS, EE only, or keep EE/CS.

And how to make an ARM LPM would be awesome! Though there is a lot of material to cover...

I am a physics and ECE. I like my physics:whistle:

Trevor

I'm in business information technology. I do embedded on the side - my actual study and research is in heuristics. :)

Now... an ARM LPM?

This:

Was made using this:

Maple Mini ? Maple v0.0.12 Documentation

Bionic-Badger can also attest, it's significantly more obtuse than the Arduino and has less of a community, but, at the end of the day, is quite a power asset. It's Arduino-like enough to do most of what you want... but if you want all the power, you do have to get into the nitty-gritty ARM stuff. But that can be fun! :D

Probably outside the scope of a beginner's guide though... and I probably don't have the time to write a tutorial that good. :eek:

I was considering going over working on a GLCD like the Rubicon, and probably discussing using an external ADC?

Probably button interfacing too, but that's super easy.

Trevor

benmwv

Damn trevor I thought I had you pegged for a CS major!

I have to ask something, does "..." guy (you know who I'm talking about) go through and rate all your threads at 1 star? Because I notice a low rating on most of your threads and pretty much no one ever uses the rating thing. I am almost positive he did the same thing to me on the benboost thread when I got in an argument with him. Its very childish. I always try to counteract it by voting all of the lpm threads you guys make 5 star.

And definitely a Graphic LCD tutorial (hopefully including who to make a power graph on it) would be great! I've only ever used character LCDs.

Last edited:

Trevor

Yep. I think at some point in the recent past he went back and one-starred threads dating back years. It's just one of those things. I may have returned the favor. :p

It's also been nice not to have a 48-year-old man strolling through this and the LPM-in-a-cube thread trying to harass the participants until they stop working on their respective projects...

ANYHOW.

Yeah, I'm definitely a developer at heart. I found heuristics and metaheuristics last year around this time and have loved it ever since. It's a wonderful branch of computing, really. Very cool problems to solve, many of which I'm interested in. For example, I'm currently laying the groundwork to start working with the meteorology department on applying neural networks in tornado predictions. With any luck, I'll spend much of my dissertation continuing what I work on next semester.

Much fun. :D

Trevor

Last edited:
I'm in business information technology. I do embedded on the side - my actual study and research is in heuristics. :)

Now... an ARM LPM?

Bionic-Badger can also attest, it's significantly more obtuse than the Arduino and

Trevor

I saw that on your YouTube channel. One thing about it is too expensive. I am thinking about using Teensy3.0, it's half the price and runs decently fast. and with some touchscreen lcd. Since Arduino library can be ported directly. onto Teensy.

benmwv

I think I missed this, what happened is he not allowed to post in LPM threads anymore? Did he just stop posting in the forum all together?

Reminds me of that storm chasing thread you had Trevor, cool stuff.

I'm in ECE. :D

Need to refine the design, still working on it :p

Is that a double of Electrical and Computer Engineering? Maybe I should do that, omg so many choices. I dont really want to do straight EE only, I feel like they put too much emphasis on HV power plants and power lines here. I want to work in LV electronics and some programming stuff.

And sorry Ive been out of loop on that stuff the past few months!

Last edited:
I think I missed this, what happened is he not allowed to post in LPM threads anymore? Did he just stop posting in the forum all together?

Is that a double of Electrical and Computer Engineering? Maybe I should do that, omg so many choices. I dont really want to do straight EE only, I feel like they put too much emphasis on HV power plants and power lines here. I want to work in LV electronics and some programming stuff.

It depends on schools. For ours, there's just ECE.

Trevor

I saw that on your YouTube channel. One thing about it is too expensive. I am thinking about using Teensy3.0, it's half the price and runs decently fast. and with some touchscreen lcd. Since Arduino library can be ported directly. onto Teensy.

The Teensy is great, but IMO not quite fast enough. Definitely a great tool though. Were you planning on using an SPI display with a touchscreen?

Yeah, he's just disappeared it seems.

I love severe weather... excited at the prospect of actually contributing meaningfully to that field. :)

Here at Virginia Tech, we have ECE also. It's a single major; they do a lot of circuit analysis and design and whatnot, but also get into embedded systems a bit. CPE is computer engineering (I forget what the "P" stands for) - they do more on the embedded programming side.

What year are you? Have you applied to schools yet? I'd love to put you in touch with people here at VT, if you'd like. :)

Trevor

ARG

He's not under any regulations, he's just not active.

It's just ECE bundled together. :) Only one choice for me, makes my options easy.

I only wish it were Open Source.

Last edited:
The Teensy is great, but IMO not quite fast enough. Definitely a great tool though. Were you planning on using an SPI display with a touchscreen?

I thought Teensy runs at 48Mhz. I am using a generic HX8352 or some sort cheap ebay ones. And of course external ADC that runs at least 50Hz sample rate. But, since you say Teensy is not fast enough. I might think about it more before I invest major time in it. Do you have any experience with Teensy??

Trevor

I thought Teensy runs at 48Mhz. I am using a generic HX8352 or some sort cheap ebay ones. And of course external ADC that runs at least 50Hz sample rate. But, since you say Teensy is not fast enough. I might think about it more before I invest major time in it. Do you have any experience with Teensy??

No - but I have worked with the Maple extensively. For the Apex, the display I had was ST7735 or something like that. SPI interface. At 4.5MHz bus speed, I could get about 6fps at best.

Parallel is obviously quicker, but rather costly in terms of I/O pins. A display with a 16-bit interface chews through your I/O pretty quickly, especially when you add in control lines and a touch panel. You have 115,200 pixels on a 240x480 display. Even if your write time is only in the hundreds of nanoseconds (probably about as fast as you'll be able to get on the Teensy), you end up with maybe 10fps.

In practice, you obviously won't be buffering whole frames at once, but it's definitely amazing how fast write times add up.

I don't want to be a downer and discourage you though. Go for it - color LCD's are great fun! :)

Trevor

benmwv

Im a Freshman at WVU, In our CS/EE department we have EE, CS, CPE, and Biometrics, with double major programs for any combination you like. You cant actually join the engineering college of wvu until your sophomore year so right now my major isnt official. I'm taking the prereqs right now, but they are the same for all the CS/EE department majors. As long as I decide by next year I wont waste any time in classes I don't need.

I did think about VT, among many other schools, but in state tuition and all the financial aid Im getting here convinced me. Some of the schools I was accepted to I would give anything to afford. Its just not realistic to be 22 years old, right out of college, possibly not have a job secured yet, and carrying a quarter million or more in debt when I can get the same degree at wvu and probably graduate debt free. Hell, I probably wouldnt even be able to get enough loans to cover it all.

My dream was Stanford, but there was no way in hell I'd ever afford it so I didnt even apply. A girl I know with a bit lower scores and etc than me got in, but her parents are rich rich rich.

I definitely want to start working with more displays, one thing I want to do is a DIY e-reader or anything really using a display like this:
E-Paper 2.7in Display - Digikey

Here is the "datasheet" I found: 2.7? TFT EPD Panel % RePaper.org % 2013

Maybe there is an E-paper LPM in the near future? :D Its pretty slow to refresh though. Some E-paper I have seen can change parts of the image on screen without refreshing the whole thing, but Im not sure if this is capable or what the limitations of that are.

The problem is I only have experience with the classic 16x2 display so I need to learn a little more before I invest in that.

Im a Freshman at WVU, In our CS/EE department we have EE, CS, CPE, and Biometrics, with double major programs for any combination you like. You cant actually join the engineering college of wvu until your sophomore year so right now my major isnt official. I'm taking the prereqs right now, but they are the same for all the CS/EE department majors. As long as I decide by next year I wont waste any time in classes I don't need.

I did think about VT, among many other schools, but in state tuition and all the financial aid Im getting here convinced me. Some of the schools I was accepted to I would give anything to afford. Its just not realistic to be 22 years old, right out of college, possibly not have a job secured yet, and carrying a quarter million or more in debt when I can get the same degree at wvu and probably graduate debt free. Hell, I probably wouldnt even be able to get enough loans to cover it all.

My dream was Stanford, but there was no way in hell I'd ever afford it so I didnt even apply. A girl I know with a bit lower scores and etc than me got in, but her parents are rich rich rich.

I definitely want to start working with more displays, one thing I want to do is a DIY e-reader or anything really using a display like this:
E-Paper 2.7in Display - Digikey

Here is the "datasheet" I found: 2.7? TFT EPD Panel % RePaper.org % 2013

Maybe there is an E-paper LPM in the near future? :D Its pretty slow to refresh though. Some E-paper I have seen can change parts of the image on screen without refreshing the whole thing, but Im not sure if this is capable or what the limitations of that are.

The problem is I only have experience with the classic 16x2 display so I need to learn a little more before I invest in that.

Refresh rate would be an issue. Since we are acquiring at least 50 points of data per second. We need the screen to at least refresh at the rate of 25 to prevent sluggish.

Trevor

I squeezed about a 19Hz update rate out of an LCD that would only do about 6Hz of full screen refreshes.

So... you can make a little speed go a long way, but it does definitely require sacrifices.

Trevor