Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPM buyers guide

ARG

This is a guide to buying your first laser power meter (LPM). If you feel I have missed anything please let me know!

Comparison Chart:
This is a comparison chart of all LPM's in the hobbyist price range ($0-$500)

Spreadsheet

Image for those who cannot view the spreadsheet.
U6eni6Y.png

Terminology:

Resolution
This is how fine the power reading is. A resolution of 1mW will mean the power readings will go up in increments of 1mW, 2mW, 3mW ect. Similarly for a power meter with 0.1mW resolution the readings will go up in .1mW increments.

Minimum Power
This is the smaller power of laser that the LPM can measure.

Maximum Power
This is the largest power of laser that the LPM can measure.

Response time
This is how long it will take to get a measurement from your LPM.
A 0-90% response time of 5s will mean that you will see a reading of 90% of your lasers power after 5s.
A 100% response time is how long it will take to get the total reading of your laser power.

It is beneficial to have a higher response time for measuring DPSS lasers as it will more clearly demonstrate the highs and lows. A LPM with a slower response time will give the artificial appearance of a stable laser.
These are two measurements of the same laser.

LPM with fast response time (Ophir)
59rpqLL.jpg

LPM with slow response time (TEC)
BiKDooM.jpg

More detail here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f70/lpm-response-time-who-needs-84428.html#post1221446

Datalogging
This feature will allow you to connect your LPM to the computer and generate graphs of the laser power as demonstrated above.

Last edited:

The chart is too wide for my screen (1,507px × 525px).
It is 50% too wide.
The acceptable suggested Pixel Size on the Forum so
that all the members can see it without needing to scroll
across the page for every line of text is 800 X 600 Pixels.

The LaserBee AX is also "User upgradable with datalogging"

BTW.. good job on the chart.

Jerry

Last edited:

tonyt

The LaserBee AX is also "User upgradable with datalogging"
Jerry

Umm... Didn't you tell me i couldn't get data logging with the AX?? That's why i bought the 3.7USB??

Also, i went to the link to that page and i thought i had broke it somehow!!! Then i realised someone was editing it in real time!! LoL

Some meters are easier to get the 'hang of' than others(especially making graphs and saving them)- if you are like me and not the most savvy PC user that may be something something the makers keep in mind.. no such thing as TMI--IF THE DUMMIES VERSION IS WHAT YOU NEED ..THOSE THAT DON'T CAN JUST IGNORE THE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS. if they feel that their intelligence has been insulted ...thats just to fricken bad. Either keep the instructions complete and easy or be ready to offer 'cheerful' extra help over and over etc..

haks two cents

Umm... Didn't you tell me i couldn't get data logging with the AX?? That's why i bought the 3.7USB??

Also, i went to the link to that page and i thought i had broke it somehow!!! Then i realised someone was editing it in real time!! LoL

No... what I told you was that the LaserBeev AX at that price does not
come with DataLogging.

As it says on ARG's Chart it is USER upgradeable to datalogging
that would be you...;)

@ ARG....
The prices also don't reflect the exclusive LPF Members discounts on the
LaserBee LPM products..

BTW... what did you use to make the Power Graphs in the 1st Post ??

Jerry

Last edited:
Great chart!...and timely as I was just thinking I need to upgrade my LPM as my Laserbee only goes to 2.5W. I'm getting into the more powerful 445 builds now and the 2.5W range isn't going to cut it for me much longer.

On the last one listed - the Ophir 20...is that really 20watts max. @ $195???

ARG

Yes, 20W max with a heatsink :) I believe Mrcrouse sells the heatsinks.

You should use a heatsink for powers over 4W.

ARG

Yes, 20W max with a heatsink :) I believe Mrcrouse sells the heatsinks.

You should use a heatsink for powers over 4W.

availability on he Ophir 20C is non-existent at the $195 price anymore. might want to make note of that for buyers so they dont get a false hope

ARG

availability on he Ophir 20C is non-existent at the $195 price anymore. might want to make note of that for buyers so they dont get a false hope

There are still 150C heads on ebay. Same thing essentially but the voltage to watt ratio is different.

contact them and they may give you a price to ship to Canada. will be roughly $10-15 more though

Glad I got mine for $195 knew I wouldn't regret it

Thanks for the recomendation and all the advice ARG. Youve been an amazing help....still have another +2 coming from me when I can