Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF Voluntary Vetting

I am getting so tired of the multiple socks this forum has active in it lately, I would like to set up a voluntary vetting for those members who want to participate.

If you want to do so, I will be happy to work out a way to do so privately. This would not be a part of LPF, just between active members, if they wish to do so independently of the forum moderators and admins, since we don't have such a process attached to the forum membership process.

63733631-2d74-442d-b213-860130374506.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Sta

I don't understand what you're proposing. Are you requesting a means of verifying a user's legitimacy?

I am not a moderator or in any admin function, this is completely grass roots from me, just tired of the obvious troll-socks who pretend to be sincere individuals when they are not and use multiple ID's. This would not be completely fool proof, but I believe a step in the right direction. I guarantee you one thing, the socks won't agree to doing so. Others might have their own personal reasons not to do so, therefore no one should point the finger at anyone who does not want to participate.

I am not asking for a vote, this is something I am offering as a member, for those who WANT to participate.

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea. Perhaps new members could be asked to provide one or two moderators or veterans with several pictures of themselves holding or doing specific things so that people can't just find a picture from the web. Of course these images would be kept private. Another idea would be to link real life social media accounts or real life addresses and give the information to the moderators or veterans. This could be a requirement before the first post. For example, moderators have to approve "for sale posts." Maybe new accounts could be approved by providing at least some of this information. Just a thought. If someone sets this up I would do it.

Sta

Crazlaser, that is a good idea in theory - but first off, I cannot trust anyone on the internet with my personal information, and many people feel the same way. Second, trying to do this may unintentionally scare off new members. So if anything it should be optional. :)

I think asking for pictures sounds like a TERRIBLE idea, why would you suggest that? Crazy! You don't want this do you? I mean VOLUNTARY, if you think it is a bad idea DONE, walk away. This would be for those who want to participate and NO PERSONAL INFORMATION NEED BE PROVIDED. I know a way to get around that, yet it would work. This is a step in the right direction for those who WANT to participate.

Oh okay, I just thought it might be a way to verify identity. But I am willing to use any other system too. :beer:

edit: Like Sta said, I didn't realize that it would keep people from joining. That's not a good idea I suppose.

Last edited:
Again, this would have nothing to do with admins, moderators or joining, just between willing members, period. I know a way, it's one man one vote but without pictures or personal information. That might sound unworkable, but I know a way which I will work out with anyone who wants to do so, I'm not posting more about the method here, makes it easier to work around.

Would this vetting be organized, or just kind of like neighborhood watch? Sounds like a good idea either way, anything to help the spam problem that the forum's been having along with the "sock accounts."

Last edited:
It would not prevent spam attacks, just make those of us who are vetted with one another know we aren't using a sock, at least, for one ID. This is not perfect, it won't stop socks, just make those of us who are not possible socks stand out without question we are legit sincere members.

There needs to be some action taken. So Alaskan if you have a plan lets do this.

AaronT

I will be willing to participate in this experiment.

I like the idea of a third party site "vouching" for identity/reputation. It doesn't put added strain on this site and a link could simply be added to the signature line of participants.

The key will be finding a good site to provide that service.

Last edited: