Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low powered LP (<5mw), not pulsed that can stay on 72 hours+

Anonymous Coward

Can any of you recommend a low powered laser pointer that can stay on for 72 hours straight (preferably battery powered)?
If I have to mod the laser pointer you recommend, please suggest how to mod it (extern psu, cooling, etc).

I'd recommend getting a fan cooled 532nm or other wavelength laser. These usually run off 12 volts which you can supply using a battery pack. They can generally run as long as the battery hasn't discharged. I have several I got awhile ago on eBay.

Anonymous Coward

I'd recommend getting a fan cooled 532nm or other wavelength laser. These usually run off 12 volts which you can supply using a battery pack. They can generally run as long as the battery hasn't discharged. I have several I got awhile ago on eBay.

Sorry, my knowledge of LPs is limited. The reason I asked, is that I have trouble finding the specific product, and verifying that it can stay on for 72+ hours.

Ie. what battery pack are you thinking about? Which LPs are compatible with the battery pack? Etc.

If you are wanting one of these little lab lasers like a 532nm one they most often run at 12 volts. That would take three Li ion batteries. The larger the better. That way they would run longer before discharge. I have one that does better than 200 mW. I think it is set to output 230 mW. You can certainly get ones that output far less and those need less power to run.

Ricker

What is the designs purpose? That may help us find something closer to what you're looking for.

Unless it's to keep Tom Cruise out of your vault, that mission would be impossible. :cautious:

atomd

You can use any generic diode laser module. Search 650nm or 450nm in china. Sorry, can't post link

Anonymous Coward

What is the designs purpose? That may help us find something closer to what you're looking for.

Unless it's to keep Tom Cruise out of your vault, that mission would be impossible. :cautious:

I am creating an alarm system that should work for at least 72 hours after the intruders cut the power to the location, where one of the gadgets is a light sensitive diode. I am looking for a light source for that and figured a laser pointer of some sort would be adequate.

atomd

This things are most often implemented with blinking light source and lock-in detection on photo sensitive element. Otherwise just flashlight can spoof your "security".

That being said if you want it to be slightly more secure I'd suggest buying 808nm low power laser diode. This will be almost invisible to naked eye (making it also big blinding hazard).

kecked

For an alarm system I agree go low power IR like 976nm. There are tons of detectors out there paired with sources you can buy already setup to do what you want. Just search for IR laser security alarm. I’ve seen some under 50.00. For a battery just use a small car battery.n adda solar panel to charge it if you like. I find fences are better.

atomd

Also most commercially available system have lock-in builtin and work on simple IR led. much simpler, more robust and harder to spoof