Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Losing interest in lasers.

Hello all,

Over the past few weeks I have started to realize that my interest & love for lasers has been slowly diminishing. In the past, I would use my pointers almost everyday and would find everything about them exciting. Now sadly, my pointers rarely get used and I don't feel the same *hype* as when I first started. I talked to jeffreythe00(if I remember his name correctly) and he has informed me this could be a phase, since he has experienced the same type of emotion. He also suggested I buy a new pointer to get my interested again but I don't quite yet have enough to spend on a new laser. Any suggestions on what I could do to keep the hobby going? :)

-Alex

Maybe you should try building one if your into that, there is nothing better than the feeling of creating something :beer:

Hello all,

Over the past few weeks I have started to realize that my interest & love for lasers has been slowly diminishing. In the past, I would use my pointers almost everyday and would find everything about them exciting. Now sadly, my pointers rarely get used and I don't feel the same *hype* as when I first started. I talked to jeffreythe00(if I remember his name correctly) and he has informed me this could be a phase, since he has experienced the same type of emotion. He also suggested I buy a new pointer to get my interested again but I don't quite yet have enough to spend on a new laser. Any suggestions on what I could do to keep the hobby going? :)

-Alex

sinner

I agree with FP, nothing beats building a ridiculously powerful pointer for once, I would say you have been limiting yourself to just a company and it could have only taken you a certain point in the hobby. explore some more and you'll find something even more intriguing, Its been years since I started and just when I think there is absolutely nothing left for me to see, and BAM! there you have a news about a 1w green diode, and BAM! a year later DTR has them.

Hey Flamin,

Yes. I have always wanted to build a simple red pointer for example but never knew where to start. I think that may be what I need to "start" my interest again :)

-Alex

IsaacT

Hey Greenlanders. One other thing you might try is when you build something, go for something with a bit more power. You have also been limiting yourself to class 3A lasers. See what B has to offer. The grass is greener on the other side....when it isn't charred black with laser beam holes in it.

Have to agree with everyone else. that's why I once called 5mW lasers so limited.

once you have beheld their awesome power, 5mW may seem....:tired:

IsaacT

And to be clear. Despite my moniker, my desire in lasers lies not in their thermal capabilities, but in the beauty of the beam. And 5mW is just not enough to behold the glory that is a bare beam stretching from your hand into the darkness of the night.

I've had some times like that. In fact I just recently came back from a laser hiatus. The building part is a big part of it for me, as others stated nothing like putting together a laser and firing it up!

I also would suggest, if you haven't already, trying optical trapping. You mentioned always wanting to built a simple red, and that's about perfect for optical trapping. I use my ~235mW 560nm. That's just one other thing to do with laser besides look at the beam and burn stuff.

Optical trapping, 235mW 650nm:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, I have to agree with everybody else here, you ought to expand into building your own laser. It will quickly become your new favorite, guaranteed!
Even if you start out with a simple "plug and burn" type build, to get your feet wet, and your confidence up.
Then you can begin obtaining the basic tools required for more challenging builds.

Stick with us awhile, give it a try! :yh:

What I do, is build lasers, sell them, buy one, use it sell it, build another, sell it, add a laser to the permanent collection, build another, sell it, etc.

It keeps the money flowing and the the lasers coming :)

Works for me! You accumulate money along the way :p

And yes, I don't quite get how you have limited yourself to 5mw for so long...

ru124t

I love lasers and don't feel I will ever get to the point where I wont love them. I want to build them simply, then get into more complex things such as driver building! Right now I have a RGB kit from dtr, a 445 diode, a 405 diode, and two Mitsubishi ML101U29-25 laser diodes . When I get the nerve up, I will be building them all! I will have a zero laser chunk host, a mace of doom host, 3 c-11 side clickys, and 3 501 b hosts. I will put the simple build thread up here when done but I almost cant sleep sometimes just thinking about building them!
I want to learn how to press the modules into the hosts next. Then I want to learn how to solder well enough to put drivers into custom hosts! OMG I will never get tired of this!
Just stick with it Greenie. When I feel bored with this, I take my sd303 outside in the night and still am amazed by it!!!

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it!

In fact, I was actually thinking of buying a Optotronics 10mW 532nm pen but im not sure of their quality(despite seeing many reviews) I don't know what to expect. I will of course buy 532nm protection goggles before even buying their pointer since I have been careless in the past with high-powered lasers(i.e 500mW of 532nm) and don't want to risk my eye-sight at such a young age :)

-Alex

D

Deleted member 16589

I find my interest in lasers comes and goes. I have not turned on a laser in about a month now. in fact i have an unfinished laser project next to my computer. :whistle:. I will find that My interest will shift to something like led's ( my last interest ). But so far i have never completely lost my interest.

If your anything like me it will come back. :beer:

PS try doing something like this http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/additive-color-mixing-67424.html#post971935
that really peaked my interest my Senior Year.

10mW... yes pass on that. I'd say hit up thejoker for one of his 650nm 200mW 502Bs. get your parent's permission if need be. they're less than $60 and I think are a great laser and intoduction to higher powers. plus it's divergence is nearly impossible to beat. I bet that laser will please you more than some of your LG units that you paid much more for

You need more powerful lasers perhaps i bet that would keep you more excited, and as long as anyone use common sense you can be 10years old and be safe so why not. you been here long im sure you aware of dangers like most and if lasers interst you i would try buy a more powerful one unless you want stay on lower power only its up to you decide.

Last edited: