Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to upgrade my telescope, suggestions?

It's hard to go wrong with a good Dobsonian reflector, at least that's my preference! Hey Elite, that's a good looking unit you have there..

Last edited:

wbp

My usual advice to people looking to upgrade their telescope is: don't do it - join a club instead, spend some time learning what you like to look at, then make a more informed buying decision. You can waste a lot of money on the wrong telescope. Also, don't forget the eyepiece is half the telescope, so don't buy cheap eyepieces if you can help it, you'll end up getting the good ones eventually...

Join us at Glacier Point in Yosemite in August! - I'll be there August 2-7

William

Last edited:

Blord

Dobson, SCT, refractors, reflectors etc. they all have their strenght and weaknesses. I agree with elite ares, the best telescope is the one you use the most.
I had a SCT 9.25" but it is sold now. The whole setup is just too much work. Setting up the EQ6 and cooling time of the SCT was no fun. The same applied to the Synta 6" refractor.

My favorite telescope is the Takahashi FS102. Lightweight, easy to setup on a photograph-tripod !! and no cooling time ( fluorite lens on the outside, it cools down very quickly ). Just grab and go telescope.

It gives me most beautifull pictures of the moon, jupiter and saturn ( and on the neighbors :shhh: ). Very fun telescope.