Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to buy my 1st Handheld 1W Laser

anselm

@anselm
I can't see a class IV laser being of any use to any civilian etc.
What are you talking about? There are plenty of legitimate civilian applications
of class IV lasers, just to name a few:
-engraving
-cutting
-laser show projectors

Now, class IV in a handheld I agree with you, it's pretty pointless.
It's mostly about bragging rights, who's got the biggest dick?

In fact, there's no legitimate use for a "laser POINTER" with more than, say 30mW.
A pointer is a device to direct people's attention to a certain spot further than
armlength away from you.

Anything more powerful than that is just crazy hobbyists being hypnotized by the
purdy purdy beam, or setting things on fire.

But who am I to pass judgment on them?:D:whistle:

Just begin with a 50mw laser ---> like me

than higher and higher until 200-300mw and then you have enough expierience

Never use more than 1mW aiming at people or animals. And don't use over 5mW for a animal to chase it around. If you buy a presentation pointer off Amazon or Ebay at 5mW it most likely is to much to use on your pet (overspec). you are hurting there eyes.

Good advice, you can still burn your eye sight with a 50mW and you can understand the beam and reflections etc...Get Goggles for the nm your using!!!

Then after That you can then get

A 100-200mW will allow you to burn most of the stuff you are wanting to burn.

And then After all that you have some experience and have your proper Goggles at this point.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of legitimate civilian applications
of class IV lasers, just to name a few:
-engraving
-cutting
-laser show projectors

Now, class IV in a handheld I agree with you, it's pretty pointless.
It's mostly about bragging rights, who's got the biggest dick?

In fact, there's no legitimate use for a "laser POINTER" with more than, say 30mW.
A pointer is a device to direct people's attention to a certain spot further than
armlength away from you.

Anything more powerful than that is just crazy hobbyists being hypnotized by the
purdy purdy beam, or setting things on fire.

But who am I to pass judgment on them?:D:whistle:

We want you to enjoy this Hobby, we just want you to do it safely. So please take the advice you were given and No matter What, Always follow the safety guidelines.

Last edited:
Honestly dude, A 1W laser IS dangerous

And No ONE should get a 1W for there 1st laser, I don't get what you don't understand....

Yeah everyone could "WANT" a machine Gun. But if They have never handled a BB gun Before, Do you think that person should get a machine gun?

This is just like that. You need to have "Experience" With lasers to understand the safety involved. It's not just "don't shine the laser at any person". You have to understand that almost ANY surface can reflect enough to permanently harm your eye sight. It's a lot more dangerous than you think.

You can dismiss it off all you want. A 1 W laser is dangerous, and NO New person to lasers should Get one.

You can wait a Little to get used to lasers to then get one LATER. All the experienced members will agree that a 1W should never go to a new person to lasers.

We want you to enjoy the hobby and are trying to help you guys...

What I don't understand? my Spartan was my first laser, and nothing's happened yet, didn't blind myself or anything. The first gun I ever fired wan't a bb gun, but an M1 Garand, and I didn't shoot my eye out, so you should understand that there are exceptions. Not every new person is a retard.

Last edited:
D

Delorean Geek

What I don't understand? my Spartan was my first laser, and nothing's happened yet, didn't blind myself or anything. The first gun I ever fired wan't a bb gun, but an M1 Garand, and I didn't shoot my eye out, so you should understand that there are exceptions. Not every new person is a retard.

You have to understand that some people think that they have some "jedi" like understanding that you could not possibly understand in your infancy. Those people weigh everyone else's knowledge against their own learning curve...God forbid someone would actually know more or learn quicker than they did. Hell, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to laser knowledge and even I know not to look at a high powered diffused beam....let alone stare at it for freaking 15 seconds!!!...Now that's someone who got a 1W too soon.

Youtube is full of dumba$$es waving 1W or even 200mW lasers around the night sky and pointing them at traffic or other people, so I can understand what the forum is saying about "growing" into a 1W, just do it at your own comfort and learning level. Just because some people took 1 year to learn about laser saftey, doesn't mean it will take you or I that long.

I'm still learning(actually you could say one can never learn enough), and here is how I look at it. I will preface this by saying I am quite familiar with guns and gun safety(as I suspect you are as well). I treat my lasers like loaded weapons. I would never point a gun(loaded or not) at anyone or anything I did not want to shoot...same goes with my lasers. You could say a laser is even more dangerous in some ways. Bullets don't usually bounce off of windows or mirrors. These things deserve the utmost respect, and that includes being knowledgeable about the characteristics of lasers.

PS: One more reason a civilian needs a 1W...Photography! And just so you know, I was behind the car and the car was directly in front of the garage, so the beam was hitting the front of my house, not the sky.
4873-my-delorean-taken-arctic-spyder-olympus-pen-ep-1-20sec-exposure.jpg

Last edited:
I never thought about photography, but it's a great idea. I just need to get my camera working.

AnoxiA

Delorean Geek, you're my new hero, all what i've wanted to say and can't because of my crappy english said much better by you.

Also,
someone said Photography?!
AnoxiA thinks about high exposure + 1W Laser, think what we can achieve hehe