Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for visible beam laser beam, help please!

I'm a laser newbie and looking for a beam that will be visible in normally lit room without introducing particulate/smoke/steam into the air. I've seen "daylight visible" lasers but is the beam truly visible in a lit room or is this a myth? Any power ratings or brands you would suggest? Thank you!

Arayan

the more visible beam, at the same power, is that at 532 nm (green). For the "daylight visible" is very very difficult, at least 1.5W green laser. It's a lab laser and very expensive :)

Can you point me to any of these 1.5 lasers online? Price is not an issue. Will the beam truly be visible in a well lit room?

Arayan

If you are new to the lasers I absolutely do not recommend a laser with such power. A tiny fraction of the beam (or its reflection) in your eyes, and you become blind!!
I'd recommend a green pointer from 50 to 100 mW (532 nm) which is extremely visiblie at night (without fog) and even in this case you must have safety glasses.

Last edited:
This is for a commercial application and typical room light visibility is required.

Are there filtered glasses someone can wear that will amplify visibility of lower power green lasers?

joeyss

You can set a camera exposure higher to get the beam of a dimmer green laser and 200 mw of green can be seen a a room, putting the beam above a black surface and having the dot stop on a black on will help the beam stand out.

1. Particles in the air must be present to see any beam.
2. The powers needed to see a beam in low particle, high light situations require everyone in the area to use goggles.
3. Using goggles will not let you see the beam because they are made to block the light to save your eyes.
4. Your only option is to introduce major particles (smoke, fog, mist) in order to use a low power laser safely.

Dam

If you are a laser newbie I deffinitely not recommend you using lasers powerful enough to see the beam in a daylight. Without steam/smoke in daylight it's possible to see green beam laser well above 500mW or even 1W which is extremely dangerous source of light. I hardly see the beam from my 500mW+ laser in sun-lit room despite it can easily burn matches unfocused and burns through CD-case in few seconds. If you use some smoke in the air you can go down below 100mW range which is better to newbie but still not safe. Remember that high power laser is not only the beam. It's just a concentrated ray of huge energy which instantly burns your eyes when it hits you.

Last edited:

Ash

Can you point me to any of these 1.5 lasers online? Price is not an issue. Will the beam truly be visible in a well lit room?

2W of green is very visible:

Oh, and dangerous as fuck because even a reflection can blind you faster than you can blink.

Buy one here Ritchie rich:
532 nm green laser.
Or here: 2000mW 532nm Low Noise DPSS Laser [GR-532-02000-CWM-LN-xx-FDA-F] - $8,070.40
Only $8,000 for that one :eek:
And, if you like seeing, you should also get safety glasses specifically for that laser:
ELP - Blu Ray, KTP Green [NR-ELP-00FDA] - $143.50

Last edited:

Ablaze

Have you considered that you can see the beam of a normal laser given enough smoke in the air?

The beam of a 100mw green laser can easily be seen with just a small amount of smoke. Little enough that the room might look just a tad bit hazy, and someone who wasn't looking hard wouldn't even see the smoke.

With a good deal of smoke you could see the beam of a 5mw or 10mw green laser. If you used a laser of that power then you wouldn't have to worry about getting everyone protective glasses.

Last edited:

Lase

If you're going with the 1.5W version may I suggest getting in on this deal? Depending on how many people will be working near this laser at any one point in time will determine how many pairs you need.

OEMLaserSystems Goggles Group Buy

Lase