Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for opinions about my laser brightness

GSS

Silly thought on my end..
Why not try to video the beams at night time or in a dark room.
My cheap flip phones also tend to pic up the beams in a somewhat lit room.

Silly thought on my end..
Why not try to video the beams at night time or in a dark room.
My cheap flip phones also tend to pic up the beams in a somewhat lit room.
Ok, I went ahead and made one. I went to a park overlooking a large pond where I used my blue 1.5 watt laser just before it got completely dark 6 years ago--this time using my green laser, which is 700mw. Green laser is first, with the blue one appearing at the :38 second mark.
Doesn't the blue one actually look brighter?

If the video won't play when you click it, click on the "Youtube" button at the bottom of the video, and then it should work.

Last edited:
Ok, I went ahead and made one. I went to a park overlooking a large pond where I used my blue 1.5 watt laser just before it got completely dark 6 years ago--this time using my green laser, which is 700mw. Green laser is first, with the blue one appearing at the :38 second mark.
Doesn't the blue one actually look brighter?

If the video won't play when you click it, click on the "Youtube" button at the bottom of the video, and then it should work.

Is that a residence across the pond that you were aiming at?

Is that a residence across the pond that you were aiming at?
No, there's nothing over there.
Did you think the blue laser was brighter than the green? I think I might be a little color-blind when it comes to greens, so I was hoping someone could take a look at the 2 lasers for me to see if the green one is brighter or not. Everyone says green is much brighter than blue, but my green one doesn't seem to be. At least, not to me. But I just wanted to see if others believe the green is brighter in my video.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Huh... the blue does appear to be brighter

Huh... the blue does appear to be brighter
Hey, Unown, I think you posted a pic of a bunch of different lasers grouped together and it showed a blue one about the same power level as mine, and a green one which I believe is the same one I have, and it clearly showed the green as being brighter. That pic is what helped me make my decision to go with the green. I can't find that pic though. But I think you were the one who posted it.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hmm it must have been the 50mw one I still have. But that was a dpss laser so the beam is much tighter than my 445 2W. Might not have been me

Hmm it must have been the 50mw one I still have. But that was a dpss laser so the beam is much tighter than my 445 2W. Might not have been me
You're right, it wasn't you. It was Ear and Eggs, and I found the pictures. It's actually a string of them, but the main ones are the 5th and 8th pics. The green one is exactly the one I have, and is being compared to a blue 1.6 watt. The green is clearly brighter than the blue. The 8th photo really shows it the best, with the green and the blue ones in question being at the 2 sides.

Encap

Instead of making your lasers into an obsession or OCD mental issue, use common sense.
Return the 700mW 520nm green laser for testing, repair, or replacement if you think the 520mn's output is less bright than your 445 or 450mn 1.5mW or 1.6 mW laser. It is possible that it is defective and has a low output for any number of reasons.
If the actual outputs are to specification it is impossible that the green one is not significantly brighter than the 445/450. The physics and normal human visual systems values are very soundly established for a very long time.

Whatever the case may or may not be, dozens of opinions, posts, or videos are not going to change, determine, or prove anything at all.
The lasers are what they are and your vision is what it is.
Live with what is or get your eyes tested/investigated by an ophthalmologist MD if the lasers are both 100% fine/up to par.

PS as "Gryphon" mentioned, "brightness doesn't scale linearly."
The human visual system response is logarithmic, not linear,
It takes 4X the output of the same wavelength to visually be appear to be 2X the brightness.
Example: an 800mW 450nm is approx. twice as bright as a 200mW 450nm.

Last edited:
Videos and pictures lie. Even if you are in the same place at the same time of day you cant control the atmospherics and how your camera will respond to it. Take for example:

The camera would suggest the green is brighter despite the blue cranking out 56 times the power! Thats 125mW vs 7.1W
Green-Blue.png

Next up the camera says the blue is brighter despite the green pushing 55 times the power! Thats 20mW vs 1.1W
Blue-Green.png

The morale of the story being you can't compare your current laser to one you had years ago solely based on a video. Get yourself a 1.5W blue and compare them yourself. Any excuse to get a new laser is a good one!

Instead of making your lasers into an obsession or OCD mental issue, use common sense.
Return the 700mW 520nm green laser for testing, repair, or replacement if you think the 520mn's output is less bright than your 445 or 450mn 1.5mW or 1.6 mW laser. It is possible that it is defective and has a low output for any number of reasons.
If the actual outputs are to specification it is impossible that the green one is not significantly brighter than the 445/450. The physics and normal human visual systems values are very soundly established for a very long time.

Whatever the case may or may not be, dozens of opinions, posts, or videos are not going to change, determine, or prove anything at all.
The lasers are what they are and your vision is what it is.
Live with what is or get your eyes tested/investigated by an ophthalmologist MD if the lasers are both 100% fine/up to par.

PS as "Gryphon" mentioned, "brightness doesn't scale linearly."
The human visual system response is logarithmic, not linear,
It takes 4X the output of the same wavelength to visually be appear to be 2X the brightness.
Example: an 800mW 450nm is approx. twice as bright as a 200mW 450nm.
Well, excuse me but GSS suggested in post #18 that I make another video, this time showing what they looked like at night.
Seeing that this is a friendly community, I felt comfortable asking questions and having a discussion. Also, seeing that there are experts here, I believe this is the place to ask such questions.

Videos and pictures lie. Even if you are in the same place at the same time of day you cant control the atmospherics and how your camera will respond to it. Take for example:

The camera would suggest the green is brighter despite the blue cranking out 56 times the power! Thats 125mW vs 7.1W
Green-Blue.png

Next up the camera says the blue is brighter despite the green pushing 55 times the power! Thats 20mW vs 1.1W
Blue-Green.png

The morale of the story being you can't compare your current laser to one you had years ago solely based on a video. Get yourself a 1.5W blue and compare them yourself. Any excuse to get a new laser is a good one!
Considering what you said, there's something else that I thought might influence why the blue laser might appear to be brighter in the videos that I made. The blue beam seems to be somewhat wider then the green one, and that size difference might lead a person to perceive the blue beam to be brighter as a result. Just a thought.