Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Long time lurker finally joining

Noctox

First let me introduce myself. My name is Brandon, a Target employee of the age 21. As the title says, I have been occassionally browsing these forums for the past few years and finally decided to make an account. The reason behind this decision is the temporary loss of my beloved computer. Having built it from parts off Newegg some 6(?) years ago, it was the black hole where most of my free time has gone. Well... now the pipe where the condensation drains from the air conditioning has clogged and flooded through/under the wall into my room. The clog was fixed, but I've had to empty the room of all it's contents, computer included, for the carpet to be replaced.

On a side note, I am making this post from my iPhone, so pardon any spelling or grammatical errors. :p After the bulb on the projector TV went out (yea oldschool), I'm now killing time by watching the entire Lie To Me and Freeman's Mind series, doing some much needed work on my diesel VW Beetle, and looking for some fun hobbies/toys.

I've always had a fancy for high powered flashlights and lasers. My last cheap 20mW ebay green died a few months ago after 2 years of service, and I just made my first powerful laser purchase- the O-Like 400mW (although typically overspec) Greenie from zdarkazn and can't wait for it to arrive! :D

You all have been unknowingly helpful to me the past few years, and extremely helpful the past week or so while I've been laser hunting. I have learned a lot and hope to continue to learn and share my experiences on this wonderful board! And because I couldn't resist...
:lasergun:

Last edited:

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If your are planning to buy anything on the
Forum.... PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

Enjoy your stay...

BTW... That is one He!! of a block of text...
No one will read it all... I know I didn't...

Paragraphs would make it much easier to
read..

Jerry

Noctox

Thanks for the advice, I have always exercised caution when buying online. Also, I split up my wall-o-text for easier reading. :)

anselm

Hello and welcome!:wave:
doing some much needed work on my diesel VW Beetle,
I take it you mean a "New Beetle" with a factory TDI engine?

Because if instead you meant a diesel engine swap for an original VW Beetle, I'd love
to read more about that, I'm pretty fond of VW Diesels myself, driving/repairing/modding a 1988 Golf GTD.
Lately I've been rolling essentially for free, burning waste vegetable oil.
crazy.gif

Last edited:

Noctox

lasersbee: Goggles are already on the way, and should be here before my laser is. :D

Anselm: That is indeed what I mean. A year 2000 black one with new 17" gunmetal wheels (and hopefully about to be 2.5" lower) that is the manliest beetle you will ever see. :p I kind of threw it in there in the hopes that someone besides me would be into lasers AND Volkswagens. I'm pretty content with my 50mpg on dinodiesel, but have been looking into a biodiesel setup at home. They are pretty pricey, but worth it in the long run I'm sure. Do you filter and poor it straight in the tank, or convert it to bio?

Hi Welcome to LPF:D

Seems you've been here for a while though.

I was wondering who grabbed that laser from zdarkazn, definitely good choice.

Have to warn you though, unless the goggles you ordered are rated for IR, you will still need to be super careful with it. I have the same exact laser with similar specs, and it produces about 50mW of pure IR...

So you can either invest in goggles that block both green and IR or install an IR filter. I think though, once you get the laser and play around with it a bit, you will find that it is far too bright to use inside. Installing an IR filter on this laser is actually very easy, though personally I never bothered with it since I only use it outside.

Anyway, have fun:beer:

Last edited:

anselm

I'm pretty content with my 50mpg on dinodiesel, but have been looking into a biodiesel setup at home. They are pretty pricey, but worth it in the long run I'm sure. Do you filter and poor it straight in the tank, or convert it to bio?
I just filter it and pour it straight into the tank.:D
And the motor isn't modified other than fresh injector nozzles and a higher
injector opening pressure.

IMHO, biodiesel is fail because:
-the process requires additionally methanol and some other chemicals I forgot.
-you have to input heat as well
-the resulting biodiesel is very aggressive to fuel lines and pump seals and o-rings,
unless they are made from a specific resistant material.

In your case I'd recommend you try this:
Just start mixing some straight vegetable oil into your diesel tank.
Start off with 10% SVO 90% dino and see how it goes.
Then try 20% - 80%, 30%-70% and so on.
Notice carefully how the motor behaves on a cold start.
If you start to notice a hesitation of wanting to start cold, don't increase
the SVO/dino ratio any further.
In general, you should be safe up to until 50%/50% mixture without any
modification to your motor at all.
Of course that depends on the climate where you live, do you have cold winters?

If you want to run on 100% SVO, you should ideally get a second small
tank for dino to start the motor on and flush the system before shutting off the
engine.
Once the motor is running, you can switch to 100% SVO.

Noctox

InfinitusEquitas: I will mainly be using the goggles to allow me to look at the dot, and of course as protection. Goggles are not here yet. But once I get them, I will see how uncomfortable the beam actually is before deciding on an IR filter.

Anselm: That's some very helpful info, but getting it to pump ANY fuel is a challenge of it's own. Looooooong story short, I have to get someone to rebuild my injection pump. I also have Bosio .205 nozzles I'm putting in once I get the pump back. That (along with my stage 2 tune) will be spinning tires through third gear. :eg:

Last edited:
My personal experience is the dot is VERY bright... It really depends on what surface you're shining on. IMO inside the laser is just too bright.

If you point it let's say at the ceiling and look at only the beam... it's fine, but if you happen to glance at the dot, well, I'd describe it to be about as comfortable as staring at a 100W light bulb from a foot away.

Also you guys are making me feel like I need to invest in a hybrid. My crown vic gets only 18mpg in the city and ~23 on highway:undecided: