Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

loading issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
All day today the forum won't stop loading... some other sites are doing the same thing. I have my theories, what's yours?

I have cleared everything and scanned everything... could today be the day that China lays the smackdown on the web or is this just errand cyber Tuesday BS.

Blord

I found the forum very jumpy. It seems the page is waiting for an external website for ads or something. And then suddenly jump a few lines. Very annoying if you are a fast click -user.

I was having the same problems. Try installing the adblockplus addon to your browser then right clicking on the ad pictures and click Block element. Then whenever you go to LPF your computer won't try and load any ads.

^^ Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's good for the forum, blocking ads. Wouldn't wanna lose any fundage coming from the people who pay for that ad space

Last edited:
^^ Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's good for the forum, blocking ads. Wouldn't wanna lose any fundage coming from the people who pay for that ad space

Only because you asked to be corrected :p

You're not wrong, really, it's just that having an actual member who does post/contribute turn on adblock isn't really an issue.

Taken from main page right now:

Currently Active Users: 12327 (361 members and 11966 guests)
Members: 28,706

Basically what this means is, there are less than 500 members who actively contribute to the forum. I think these people contribute more to the upkeep of the forum than do the 12k that just read a bit and leave.

InfinitusEquitas is right. It's not going to be a big issue. If the advertiser is smart, and isn't just buying ad space monthly (which I suspect is what most do here), he/she will require a click-through rate, rather than rely on ad impressions (paying each time the ad is displayed). I doubt most people here have clicked on the ads, so they're not helping with click-through rates.

Also, many forums will outright remove ads for members who sign-up for an account. After all, the members usually "know better" when it comes to places to shop, or will just buy from other members, not from stores featured in the ads.

Finally, many of the ads can't be blocked by Adblock Plus. I've got ABP on, a HOSTS file to deny certain sites, and also have some frames blocked (like the ones at the bottom of the site). There are still ads, but the annoying ones are gone. Regardless, I've never actually clicked on the ads--and sure as hell never clicked the Wicked Lasers ad, like appears right below the quick reply box.

Bionic-Badger said:
Finally, many of the ads can't be blocked by Adblock Plus.

All can be blocked. Right click ad...and use abp to block the banner. the link is removd when the banner is removd.

Ads are just gravy for the forum. the donations pay the web bills.

ped

^^ Wrong.

Some of the ads, if you block them, stop other parts of the forum from working as thier interlinked, try it.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
regarding the loading issues, I have implemented iframes .. this should help prevent jumpiness

@ hippyhop

LPF has more costs than just web bills. There are legal expenses, and the site requires significant time to maintain. I spend at least 3 or 5 days a month doing maintenance and working on rules to block bots / etc.

The number of ads has been reduced significantly overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.