Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Light saber...proof of concept

The blade drive video post #13 shows it going up and down, it is a powered tape measure folded back on itself.;)

Regards rog8811

Last edited:

Make sure you patent this one or sell it to George Lucas and make a 20 million while you are at it ;). Just make sure to TM the name to "light sword".

@ FML, I love your new avatar!
Here is the concept drawing I did of the major parts, the yellow ribbon is the tape measure, it comes up through the rotor mount on the left hand drawing, loops over the top of the blade stop to the right of the drawing and is then terminated in the top of the rotor mount....

I am not sure if that makes anything clearer but it works for me:)

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• TL rotor assembly01.jpg
    TL rotor assembly01.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,441
The concept is cool and all, but I'm not sure this qualifies as a "lightsaber."
In all honesty- this looks more like a laser-based "chainsaw."

However, I am still impressed by your ingenuity, creativity, and ability to make your ideas come to life. ;)
Good work. I look forward to seeing the final results.

this looks more like a laser-based "chainsaw."
:crackup:

The hope would be to slim it down a bit but I do like that description....

Regards rog8811

:crackup:

The hope would be to slim it down a bit but I do like that description....

Regards rog8811

Yes... It looks a bit aggressive.

You know- I don't see why this can't be made with a white "blade." ;)

I don't see why this can't be made with a white "blade."
Don't think I didn't consider it.... In fact I am wondering whether to go for red lasers because the greenies, as usual, do not emit the beam straight which is why there is a bit of spill from the column of light in the still photo I have added to the first post.
Also I could set the beam to be quite thick which would help with filling out the beam.

Regards rog8811

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

Don't think I didn't consider it.... In fact I am wondering whether to go for red lasers because the greenies, as usual, do not emit the beam straight which is why there is a bit of spill from the column of light in the still phot I have added to the first post.
Also I could set the beam to be quite thick which would help with filling out the beam.

Regards rog8811
or a variable color sabre! :D

or a variable color sabre!
As long as the rotor is turning fast enough it would be possble.....except that the power to the lasers is done with brushes on slip rings, I used two to power the greens, you would need five slip rings and brushes to run three different colours.

Photo of slip rings and brushes....

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• brushes fitted01.jpg
    brushes fitted01.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 165
That would be cool. Sure you could do it like this and have just four slip rings?

rgb1.jpg

The green laser(s) housing would have to be isolated from GND ofc.

Glad you like the avvy btw :D

I had not really thought it through fully, I know you need 2 supplies, 3v for the green, 7.2v for the red and the BR...You can common the neg I suppose:undecided: which would keep it to 4 slip rings but I don't think I will be doing it anytime soon:)

Regards rog8811

EDIT: A design like this may help you integrate this with your white laser: Essentially, it is a bar, with 2 turning mirrors mounted to it, a counterweight to prevent wobble and a motor driving it. The issue is driving the bar, but a custom lathed belt drive/cog/mount (with hollow center for beam) and rubber band may do the trick. the pic is a little rudimentary, but I hope gets the idea across.

Attachments

• compact beam - saber.jpg
    compact beam - saber.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I will post my first drawing of an idea similar tp yours.
I started this as a high power laser level to use outside on a pond build I am involved in, so it started with one cube then the idea developed.:whistle:

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• starting point.jpg
    starting point.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 160