Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lidar

i was wondering what types of lasers are used for this and what is used to receive the information back in this type of system?

if anyone works with this kind of system or knows anyone that does please chime in if you know anything at all about these.

Thanks,
Brian

WIKI on LIDAR

"LIDAR uses ultraviolet, visible, or near infrared light to image objects and can be used with a wide range of targets, including non-metallic objects, rocks, rain, chemical compounds, aerosols, clouds and even single molecules.[1] A narrow laser beam can be used to map physical features with very high resolution."

yea i had already saw Wikipedia page on it was looking for more specifics. thats why i asked if anyone here worked with that equipment.

Last edited:
I have never seen it discussed here before... What more specific do you want to know about it though.. The Wiki article covers the technology quite well in how it works and so on.

Infrared laser is used. Modulated. No point in making a detector.

Also, I LOL'd at the wiki quote. Thought it said that it used UV, IR, or visible light. As opposed to light that is neither UV, IR, nor visible?

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it's IR. I don't know why that quote says near-IR...

I'm *guessing* that IR is used for the same reasons that IR is used in remote controls;

(a) It is cheaper (I assume).
(b) It is less likely to be interfered with by visible light sources.

then how come green and somewhat orange colored lasers are used? im talking about the outposts that use it for weather or other measurement stuff. the mobile/handheld ones not so much i understand why they use ir for those. but most of the LIDAR ive sen in pictures use green lasers.
also i would like to know more specific details on them like what there power usually is.

"I'm *guessing* that IR is used for the same reasons that IR is used in remote controls;"
My understanding is that the shorter the wavelength the higher the resolution of the scans. So an inexpensive, highly efficient(power conversion to output) IR emitter
with a high degree of resolution is fairly often used.
Other weather related functions require visible readings requiring reflected light to determine measurements. (As people function using visible light.) Some may only be for guiding or sighting the other arrays of instrumentations towards the same focus.

I've been up lots of nights unable to sleep and "The Weather Network" has these information/science clips on it.

so im guessing you worked as a road leveler? im always interested in looking when i see those guys going around with gps and the laser level. i really havent seen many that have a lidar device unless you have a few pictures to compare of lidar mapping devices for road construction? i really dont know what they look like.

nvmd i see it is for a lot more than roads.

Last edited: