Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED Orb 2.0

Some of you might remember my LED Ball I made a few years ago... It had three LEDs and two axes. Now I've made another one with three axes!

YouTube - Spinning RGB LED Ball II

It was very hard to build! I has a lot of problems with the power transfer and failed may times before I got everything working smoothly. Now it runs like a dream.
I made it all from very simple materials like wood, VCR-parts, fans, junk, antenna tubes and a lot of solder!

Total of 9 slip-contacts, not including the motors!
The current for the LEDs has travel through 6 slip-contact without glitching!
It took about a week to build.

(many) Pictures:

The device:
1.jpg

The controller. The unit to the left is a modified bike light, apparently if one of the resistors changed it's value, the frequency would also change. I replaced it with a 500K ohm pot and amplified the output with a transistor. The circuit has four modes: on - fast blink - slow blink - off.

The unit to the right is the motor controller. It's made of three 555-timer circuits that change the speed of the motors with pulse width modulation. It's the same controller I use for my spirographs and such.
2.jpg

A close-up of the head/nougat-core/whatever. Just three LEDs, one red, green and blue. The small DC-motor is a from a RC-heli that I got from my dad's colleague, thanks! The frame is made of a ton of leads from LEDs, they work best for this kind of thing because they are very stiff. Can I haz mad soldering skillz?!
3.jpg

The arrow points at a tiny spring who carries the positive voltage to the LEDs.
4.jpg

On the opposite side is the contact for the negative voltage. The big blob of solder is the counter weight.
5.jpg

The LEDs and their current limiting resistors are attached on a small perfboard, all in-closed in epoxy.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The second motor.
9.jpg

On the opposite side is the slip-ring assembly for the first motor and LEDs.
10.jpg

Pencil lead give the best results as a wiper contact!
11.jpg

Slip-rings made from antenna tubes.
12.jpg

The common connection.
13.jpg

Here are the four power wires from the base.
14.jpg

Here are the wiper contacts for the bottom axis. Made from LED-leads and perfboard.
15.jpg

16.jpg

The bottom slip-ring assembly and gear reduction.
17.jpg

Assembled.
18-2.jpg

Home-made motor mount.
19-2.jpg

This big resistor limits the current to the first motor.
20.jpg

Modular connections.
21.jpg

A few pictures in the dark. My camera does a very poor job at this :(
P4080052.jpg

P4080049.jpg

P4080001.jpg

P4080047.jpg

P4080045.jpg

P4080048.jpg

P4080003.jpg

P4080002.jpg

P4080046.jpg

P4080054.jpg

P4080051.jpg

Last edited:

diachi

Oh boy! I've been waiting for this since last night!

Very very nice work, some of those pictures would make really nice wallpapers ;).

HIMNL9

Congratulation for the work and the assembly :) ..... i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one around crazy enough to play with these things :p :crackup:

Morgan

That is the nuts!

I think I like it more than your 3-D Spiro.

Don't shine a green laser at it when it's running whatever you do! It might end up like your Avatar!

Great skills.

M
:)

Thats a amazing piece of work, very intricate. Especially that center beam you built. Is that center beam made entirely of LED legs and solder?

Nice Job, you must be very proud:)

Cheech

"Can I haz mad soldering skillz?!"

Wow, that's really awesome solder lead framework. And it doesn't bend under the spinning force is amazing.

MrRay

Holy Light Ball Batman. id give maybe half of my left nut for those soldering skills.

That is amazing.... I can see all the hard and intricate work
that went into each detailed aspect of that build... :gj:

Jerry

Great Job!!!!

I really like it alot.

Have you thought about PWM the LED's as well? Would it make variable (different) patterns when coupled with varying the speeds?

Yeah I have been thinking about that. I've done some research in the past about 555-timers, but I haven't found a design that allows varying the frequency while keeping the duty-cycle constant and vice versa :thinking:. Maybe I should get onto the arduino bandwagon...

One of the coolest things I've seen done with LED's Thanks FML ;)

The very best was at BM in the black rock desert a man made a cube 10' square and filled it with thousands of ping pong balls hanging on strings like loose pearls, inside of each ball was a RGB LED, all were controled with a computer and it was like a 3D display totaly knock your socks off !
people would go watch it and trip for hours, It could be on the BM web site I havent looked.