Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laws about Being in Possession of a Class IV Laser

There will be laws if more and more people point skyward and don't respect air traffic, that means not even pointing to the sky when a plane is anywhere overhead or at extreme distance.

I did answer your question, it's illegal if it distracts and that can mean the cop who drove by and saw it, if you insist on doing something because it's not verbatim illegal and it annoys people then it will become verbatim illegal, and there are overlapping laws that you can be charged with in connection to pointing a laser skyward.

I will not say that it it's not restricted by law because there are other laws that can apply to the activity in question.

Along with window film that attenuates specific wavelengths of incoming light aircraft can be fitted with recording devices at multiple locations with omnidirectional lenses and laser sightings recorded, a database of regular distraction ( not illumination ) locations can be created and likely will be.

If there is an airplane anywhere in the sky or if I can even hear one but can't see it I don't take any chances.

You should not encourage an activity that can be devastating for a moments worth of a mistake.

There may be a specific law such as for operating carbon arc or led or "other" searchlights without a permit, but I am not going to search for the rope to hang myself, I will say everyone should know that one slip up involving a helicopter or aircraft can be devastating to your life, years of prison time are the threat here, don't take it lightly....no pun intended.

Last edited:

"Suspicious you are" I was once told by Yoda, but yet I cannot help but believe this thread was started by our old friend back to stir the pot on this subject, good idea though, these things should be discussed and the information shared.

LOL, I knew it was him by the way he talks and almost called him out, but he actually worked to build up some points this time so I didn't want to wreck him, but his terse character really shows through, seems he is still mad at me.

LOLOLLLOL ahh, that's funny, :D Big smile here.

But it is a good thing for people to think about, we are all responsible for our hobbies image and need to be extra cautious.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Chuckh

Reading this reminds me of John Stossel doing an episode called Illegal Everything. In a way he is right. Does any other country have so many laws? I know there are some places that punish many crimes with death or something else that is horrible. We have more people imprisoned here than all other countries combined and it is no accident. Children can't even sell lemonade any more. If it gets any worse Girl Scouts won't be able to sell cookes...without filling out a stack of papers taller than them.

LOL, I knew it was him by the way he talks and almost called him out, but he actually worked to build up some points this time so I didn't want to wreck him, but his terse character really shows through, seems he is still mad at me.

LOLOLLLOL ahh, that's funny, :D Big smile here.

But it is a good thing for people to think about, we are all responsible for our hobbies image and need to be extra cautious.
Who's this person you speak of.

diachi

Came across something which is sort of along the lines of what RCB was saying earlier in this thread:

Jessie D. Morris, 18, of Centerville. Lucas said Carter was charged with inducing panic because he had a green laser-type light in his possession that was believed to have been used to distract passing motorists. Morris was still being held at the jail Saturday afternoon. His bond also was set at $1,000.

Source: Trio Of ?Clowns? Arrested in Belmont County | News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer

Guys! We are on Double Secret Probation! Keep it under hat and dont show your ass in public.

Fundles

First I want to say I'm really sorry for this necro post, but this thread was very informative about the relation between law and police discretion and stuff. I really think everyone here should read this thread.

Second and finally:
Wow what a read that was! Thanks for that man. I think the moral of the story is that you should never carry large sums of money around even for those reasons. The families in that article could have easily just used a credit card or a debit card, like I said there's no reason to carry such large sums of money. You can also write checks to people and if someone can't take checks or cards then you shouldnt be buying things from them.

This guy made my blood boil. Anyone who thinks this way get out of America. Go to Venezuela or something you commie. Sorry again had to get that off my chest.