Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LASORB - THE ultimate laser diode protection

ZRTMWA

Couple of noob questions: How common are diode deaths because of ESD? Also, in the video it was mentioned that LASORB can protect from power surges. Does that mean I could put 1.8V to my diode instead of the recommended 1.5V?

I can't say for sure how often diodes die from ESD, and neither can anyone else because diode death is often misdiagnosed. I have had at least 6-7 diodes that I know for sure died from ESD and maybe others that I attributed to too much current or some other cause. Not only do these lasorbs protect from ESD they also help protect against other transients as well. It's just peace of mind for your expensive diodes..

I wouldn't overvolt your diodes unless there is a voltage regulator in there somewhere to protect it. The lasorb is not a voltage or current regulator. It only works for short pulses of energy.

Last edited:

Things

the lasorb is designed to clamp the ESD, stopping it from killing your diode. If you overvolt it, it'll simply short out the lasorb device and waste your $9, as Elektro said, they are designed to protect from short pulses.

Just to make it clear, THESE ARE NOT DRIVERS!