Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasever 473nm handheld stopped working

So I ordered a 473nm handheld from Lasever and received it around March 19th. It was fast shipping, I had no issues with customer service, it was rated at 80mw but metered over 120mw; needless to say I was happy with my purchase up until last Saturday. I put a battery in the laser, plugged in the safety plug, and turned the key. The LED indicator on the laser turned red to show it was powered up and ready to go. I turned on the laser and there was a flash of a blue dot on the wall then nothing; the LED indicator also turned off. Now the laser nor the LED indicator will not turn back on. I feel that after having the laser for about 20 weeks before it just stopped working is not acceptable for a product such as this. I just sent them an email and I am waiting on a reply. I will provide updates along the way to let you know how Lasever handles this issue. Hopefully they will solve this quickly and without issues.

This will be interesting.
Is it really the Lase-NEVER curse as prophesied by PL?

ARG

I think one of the likely scenarios is that the tail cap is busted.

The connection between the case and the audio connector interlock isn't great for these styles of lasers. I usually run a wire under the plastic bit for a better connection.

Do you have a multimeter? Test the continuity of the tail cap with the interlocks in. Might be an easy fix! :beer:

Seeing how the LED light wont turn on anymore. Have you tried bypassing the tailcap? Just take a piece of wire and connect it from the battery to the threads of the host and then try powering it up. If the LED turns on and no light. Laser is having serious problems. If the led is still off. Id say you either have a short or something is loose.

Another thing you can do too is check to see how current the laser is drawing. However try this only after you bypass the tailcap because im pretty sure the laser isnt dead yet.

Keep us updated.

My multimeter is broken and I need to get a new one. I will look around after work and see if I can find some wire to try to bypass the tail cap but I am in the process of moving so hopefully I have some still around here. I will let you know how that works out for me.

ARG

My multimeter is broken and I need to get a new one. I will look around after work and see if I can find some wire to try to bypass the tail cap but I am in the process of moving so hopefully I have some still around here. I will let you know how that works out for me.

Grab a wad of tinfoil, can usually find that in most places.

Encap

You shouldn't have any problem with Lasever. David Wu is known for taking good care of customers.

THe warranty infor on web site says "Laser products are warranted to conform to Lasever' s published specifications and to be free from defects in materials and workman-ship for a period of twelve months starting on the shipping date. Lasever will repair or replace (at our decision) ASAP without charge, any part(s) found to be defective during the warranty period.
Our warranties do not cover damages due to misuse, negligence or accidents or due to installations, repairs or adjustments not authorized by Lasever Inc"

Ship it back to them for repair.

Reactions: ARG
Thanks, good to know. Now hopefully it is just the tail cap and I don't have to worry about sending the whole laser back.
You shouldn't have any problem with Lasever. David Wu is known for taking good care of customers.

THe warranty infor on web site says "Laser products are warranted to conform to Lasever' s published specifications and to be free from defects in materials and workman-ship for a period of twelve months starting on the shipping date. Lasever will repair or replace (at our decision) ASAP without charge, any part(s) found to be defective during the warranty period.
Our warranties do not cover damages due to misuse, negligence or accidents or due to installations, repairs or adjustments not authorized by Lasever Inc"

Ship it back to them for repair.

Ah those PGL-III-C tailcaps always fail. Not easy things to fix either... My 589's tailcap is just a big wad of aluminum foil and a quarter stuffed together :tinfoil:

We use Lasever lasers all the time.. never had a problem with the lasers or the service. I've bought probably 15 show lasers from them over the years, and have grown a successful laser show company using many of their products.

When will people learn not to listen to half the stuff they say on PL? The motivation behind many of the posts there have nothing to do with helpfulness or comradery with a group of like-minded people the way it is here.. IMO the first thing a person should do when they join that forum is check their naivety at the login prompt.

So I used some aluminum foil and nothing, I felt it get warm but no LED indicator or lasing occurred

Looks like a short somewhere... good luck and let us know how it turns out :beer: