Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers to replace sparkplugs?

Though it might new to your car dual plugs in a car aren't too new. Also small Aircraft engines run dual plugs.

^^^^ well it doesnt take away from my point of the greatness of the spak plug. and to address your comment about the cleanliness of forklift engines... i am not an expert in the area but at my families small biz i do basic maintenace on ours. it is typical carbon build up on the inside of the egine. it is like a greasy sludge. and this is typical of fork lifts. it coats the spark plugs filaments and they still keep on sparkin.

michael.

Last edited:
Crap.......i hate buying new spark plugs as it is. How much will it cost now?

DrEvil.jpg

...and to address your comment about the cleanliness of forklift engines... i am not an expert in the area but at my families small biz i do basic maintenace on ours. it is typical carbon build up on the inside of the egine. it is like a greasy sludge. and this is typical of fork lifts. it coats the spark plugs filaments and they still keep on sparkin.

michael.

I think earlier in this thread someone remarked that LP fueled engines were cleaner and since combustion engine (as opposed to electric motor) forklifts usually run on LP, someone morphed that into forklifts ran cleaner. The original remark about LP being cleaner I think refers to the exhaust from the engine, not necessarily the internals of the engine itself. Less exhaust pollution in a forklift would be important in a forklift since they are often operated indoors.

Ed

Last edited:
^^^^ well it doesnt take away from my point of the greatness of the spak plug. and to address your comment about the cleanliness of forklift engines... i am not an expert in the area but at my families small biz i do basic maintenace on ours. it is typical carbon build up on the inside of the egine. it is like a greasy sludge. and this is typical of fork lifts. it coats the spark plugs filaments and they still keep on sparkin.

michael.

The spark plug is indeed great. :)
So is it a different type of carbon sludge than in a normal vehicle just curious?

So we see that lp engines have dirty combustion chambers but what about natural gas engines.
We need to find a clean combustion chamber so they can build laser ignitions that we could salvage from lol.

edit; I just read online that they were/are experimenting on natural gas engines. haha

Last edited:
I think earlier in this thread someone remarked that LP fueled engines were cleaner and since combustion engine (as opposed to electric motor) forklifts usually run on LP, someone morphed that into forklifts ran cleaner. The original remark about LP being cleaner I think refers to the exhaust from the engine, not necessarily the internals of the engine itself. Less exhaust pollution in a forklift would be important in a forklift since they are often operated indoors.

Ed

i think you missed the point. it isnt about cleaner tailpipe emisions. if the internal part is dirty it will "clog" the lens assebley of the laser therefore not permiting a cyllinder to fire. and propane exhaust is known to cause cancer so using it indoors is not a good idea.

michael.

Maybe I missed something but what do you drive? Is it an MB?

^^^ well it does now. i think all cars have gone with the "e distributor" but that is fine and a technology that is solid. if lasers did replace spark plugs i am sure they would utilize existing "e dist"

but to give another example of how great spark plugs are lets use my personal car as an example..

my car is 305 hp, 320 fptq. on the highway it is faster than a stock corvette but at cruising speed i get over 30mpg. and on top of that i now have over 140,000 miles on it and i have never replaced my spark plugs
one thing my car has that is still a new technology is 2 spark plugs per cyllinder. why might you ask... for the reason they claim the laser plugs are better. they create a more even and completer combustion. just imagine if all cars utilized this.

michael.

Last edited:
Ok cool, My 98 Cobra gets close to the same gas mileage as your MB. Its about 28/29 on the highway ;)

a mustang cobra? did you chip it to run more efficiently? i have a blown 2000gt that gets like 10mpg lol.

michael.

jakeGT

My 05gt got realistically like 15-18, but because of $4.00 a gallon gas, my lancer gts now gets 26/32

I miss my mustang :(

Its got a Diablosport Predator Tune and better heads but also remember that the mustang Cobras are DOHC whereas the GT's are SOHC. I dont know what i'd do without my cobra...