Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers & Crystals

Damien

Over the course of time I hope to conduct several experiments using crystals.
This is a 50mw green & 20mw red directed at a 10mm faceted sphere.

Damien

Hmmmm, tough crowd. Ok, for my next experiment I'll fire a laser at a crystal embedded in my ass. :D

Damien

In a fixed position, unless you're moving, crystals are boring. I noticed 10 to 60mm faceted spheres for cabinet doors at Home Depot. Mount that crystal on a winded up musicbox motor with a fixed laser... and presto! Laser jewels everywhere!

That would work, but make sure you have glasses on till you know where all of the reflections will end up :D

Get out a fog machine or light a couple of matches to get the beams visible, that would look tight!

Is this "a crystal" or "a piece of crystal"?

Because the stuff that people call "crystal", like crystal stemware or Swarovski crystal, are actually not crystals, they're actually glass.

So this is a faceted piece of crystal, I take it? When you move up to crystals instead of pieces of crystal, you get all kinds of other cool stuff, more than just reflection.. Fluorescence and phosphorescence for starters, and other cool optical effects like birefringence.

Damien

:crackup: :crackup: Agreed, excellent delivery. & I needed a laugh. :thanks:

Please only "report back". No video needed!

Yes, the 10mm is too small for my ass, I have an 80mm that might work. :D

'Crystal' may not be an accurate term. I didn't purchase the 10mm, probably leaded glass. Actual crystals of any good diameter are hard to find. Forget Swarovski crystals... Expensive glass. The term crystal defines a faceted sphere or cut glass item of the likes.

The lasers are being fired in the coach of our 30' Pace Arrow. When I open the curtain and laze the crystals in pitch darkness it is very cool. When we're stationed at a park or campground I make a point of firing off something.