Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserlands' laserking review laser -- disappointing experience

Well not to long ago I ordered a laser from both O-like and rayfoss.com. Both packages seemed to be from the same address. However this does not mean that they are using a drop shipper.
Exporting is a huge business in China. Their are many outfits that do bulk mailing. They both could be using the same bulk shipping company to save on money.
Their are outfits in china that collect packages from small, online retailers. When they get several hundred packages, they then take them to the post.
They then are charged by the weight instead of individual package.

We could start posting pictures of our labels to at least verify they are coming from the same place.

I also, tend to think that o-like and rayfoss don't actually make the products. However I'm pretty sure they do have some control over what is sent. Just like most business they have a supplier that they get their stuff from. They then keep a small supply of their most popular items in their homes or offices for their customers.

A laserbee is not cheap, If susie bought one, she is putting it to good use.
I also can verify that Fiona also has contact with her products. I asked her to make me a video showing some specifics of one of her lasers abilities. She sent me a huge .AVI file. It was her video and my laser. It was not taken from some random site.

However I'm pretty sure they do have some control over what is sent.

agree. i have not read a disclaimer on their sites which says: "we absolutely have no control over the product that will be send to you. you could be lucky or not. you could get 120mw or 50mw instead of the advertised 100mw. not in our powers."

hell, i know people in the forum who bought a laserbee just to measure 1!!! laserpointer! there is absolute no excuse for a business not to have one.

...Their are many outfits that do bulk mailing. ...I'm pretty sure they do have some control over what is sent. Just like most business they have a supplier that they get their stuff from. They then keep a small supply of their most popular items in their homes or offices for their customers...
Ok, I can buy that.

In which case, for every bad item shipped, it can only mean one of three things:
1. Item got damaged during shipping
2. Seller didn't find the time to inspect the product prior to shipping
3. Seller decided product "passed" their own QA parameters.

The 1st is simply bad luck (but the odds are pretty low, assuming product is properly packaged...). The second is not good, but hopefully is not "standard operating procedures...). The last would be of course bad news.

Given the above, we have a further variable to consider: their QA process(es). If the "retailer" that buys <150mW modules from a wholesaler has no calibrated LPM, then they have no possibility to verify it, pretty much skipping that portion of the QA process all together... .

Clearly the OP's concern was for the condition of the host & lens - the fact that finish was not acceptable, etc. - something that could easily be checked by the retailer. Ditto for the poor visual appearance of the laser's output.
In my case, that of several faulty and/or low-powered modules, it's not so easy. Do they have an LPM? What power source are they using for their tests? And so on. Although they may not be moving 1000 units/day, I doubt that they have (or take) the time to verify every module or laser's output, divergence, etc.

But this is where I repeat the fact that I (and I believe, many others on this forum) am willing to pay 10~15% more for the same product with improved quality assurance. It would save us time shipping stuff back, etc. I officially purchased two 532nm modules from CN and had FIVE DIFFERENT MODULES in my hands before I was finally satisfied / fed up... . Anyways, my third module from the third retailer (Laserlands) was recently shipped and I will soon know if it's more of the same... :tired:...or if the retailer took the time - and my warning (of a LPM-assisted review) to heart...

Last edited:
Well not to long ago I ordered a laser from both O-like and rayfoss.com. Both packages seemed to be from the same address. However this does not mean that they are using a drop shipper.
Exporting is a huge business in China. Their are many outfits that do bulk mailing. They both could be using the same bulk shipping company to save on money.
Their are outfits in china that collect packages from small, online retailers. When they get several hundred packages, they then take them to the post.
They then are charged by the weight instead of individual package.

We could start posting pictures of our labels to at least verify they are coming from the same place.

I also, tend to think that o-like and rayfoss don't actually make the products. However I'm pretty sure they do have some control over what is sent. Just like most business they have a supplier that they get their stuff from. They then keep a small supply of their most popular items in their homes or offices for their customers.

I also can verify that Fiona also has contact with her products. I asked her to make me a video showing some specifics of one of her lasers abilities. She sent me a huge .AVI file. It was her video and my laser. It was not taken from some random site.

Since both rayfoss and o-like packages are coming from the same address, it means that they are one company using two websites or that they both use the same drop shipper. I think they just use the same drop shipper.
The combining of packages to save money just isn't so. You can save money sometimes with multiple boxes, but only when they are all shipped to the same address/customer.

A good reason for some of these retailers whos products are drop shipped to have a meter is that when customers are unhappy with the laser or it's returned for some reason, it is shipped the retailer, not the company who actually supplied and shipped the laser, so having a meter will allow them to verify the condition and have proof when they try to return it to the supplier/ drop shipping company. So they basically use the meter after the fact to verify a failed/retuned laser rather than for testing before shipped as they never see the laser until it's returned to them.

My 10mW focusable from o-like will smoke black rubber, I've heard too many similar situations to believe they're only a dropshipper.

... They both could be using the same bulk shipping company to save on money. ... I'm pretty sure they do have some control over what is sent...

I think they just use the same drop shipper.
... having a meter will allow them to verify the condition and have proof when they try to return it to the supplier/ drop shipping company...

I'm not out to take sides (although if you twisted my arm, I'd have to bet on Bootleg2go, seeing as he's in the business... ;)) but I think it would be in these retailers' best interest to explain us (here on LPF, if not on their own websites), how exactly it all takes place. clearly if they do drop-ship, they could save themselves a lot of unnecessary bad publicity by coming out and informing us of this... :whistle:

I think you missed the point. Both companies use the same bulk shipping company.

My 10mW focusable from o-like will smoke black rubber, I've heard too many similar situations to believe they're only a dropshipper.
Hi Woodofcville,
Being a company that uses a drop shipper, does not mean that the product cannot be good. It means that the company does not actually keep product in stock and thus they are at the mecry of their distributor for any quality control of their product. Since the distributor is "hidden" so to speak behind the company they are drop shipping products for it is not their reputation that's on the line when/if they ship sub par products.

Your 10mw pointer may very well be outputting 10mw and able to melt/smoke things as it has a focusing lens in front of it (just like a magnifying glass), so the beam can be concentrated to a very very small point and it's the power density that matters most for burning objects. Several years ago I had a 5mw pointer and a small, high power/diopter convex lens that I mounted and was able to light a match with just 5mw of power.

Wow, I knew focus was important, but I thought it had to be like 20mW at least before focus mattered.

I think you missed the point. Both companies use the same bulk shipping company.
Hi Tech_Junkie,
I would call the company they both use a "bulk shipping company", but a distributor who ships the items they order directly to the customer rather than to them for testing and then shipping to the customer. They are not a company that ships products that o-like/rayfoss or any of the others send to them.

Don't blame these companies for not stating that they use drop shipping, very few will ever do that as it shows the customer that they have no control over actual ship dates or quality control.
The advantages of drop shipping is that for the website owner, they don't need any space for stocking products, don't need to spend any time testing, packaging or shipping the product; all they need is a webpage with a store front, a way to accept payment and a product source who will fill and ship the orders for them.

Wow, I knew focus was important, but I thought it had to be like 20mW at least before focus mattered.
Amazing isn't it?
If you figure you take a 10mw beam and focus it down to a spot size that is 1/10 of the area of an unfocused (collimated) 100mw beam, then you'll have the same power density (burning power).

Hi Tech_Junkie,
I would call the company they both use a "bulk shipping company", but a distributor who ships the items they order directly to the customer rather than to them for testing and then shipping to the customer. They are not a company that ships products that o-like/rayfoss or any of the others send to them.

Don't blame these companies for not stating that they use drop shipping, very few will ever do that as it shows the customer that they have no control over actual ship dates or quality control.
The advantages of drop shipping is that for the website owner, they don't need any space for stocking products, don't need to spend any time testing, packaging or shipping the product; all they need is a webpage with a store front, a way to accept payment and a product source who will fill and ship the orders for them.

Hi Jack. Glad to see you're out on the forum more often. We need all the help we can get LOL.

Doesn't O-Like, and Rafoss too I think, meter their lasers? If they do, then how are they a drop shipper? I figured that the distributor sends them the orders, they check them, and then send it off to the bulk shipper.

Doesn't O-Like, and Rafoss too I think, meter their lasers?

I think he provided a plausible explanation already...

A good reason for some of these retailers whos products are drop shipped to have a meter is that when customers are unhappy with the laser or it's returned for some reason, it is shipped the retailer, not the company who actually supplied and shipped the laser, so having a meter will allow them to verify the condition and have proof when they try to return it to the supplier/ drop shipping company. So they basically use the meter after the fact to verify a failed/retuned laser rather than for testing before shipped as they never see the laser until it's returned to them.

Susie (O-Like) tests most of the lasers she sends out. She sends a signed output verification. Not sure about Rayfoss, but they might.

Sorry but I didnt see an explanation for this, thus my question.

(left hand.....:undecided: right hand....:undecided: left hand.....:undecided: right hand....:undecided:)
Jerry, you forgot to put "SEARCH BUTTON" in there somewhere........ HA HA HA !!!!!!! rob

Susie (O-Like) tests most of the lasers she sends out. She sends a signed output verification. Not sure about Rayfoss, but they might.

Sorry but I didnt see an explanation for this, thus my question.
I could only speculate, I'm not saying O-like does this at all as I have no 1st hand knowledge and am not accusing them of this, but one possibility as to a reason "most", not sure whay it wouldn't be all of them or none of them, but a possibility could be that when a lser is returned for them for some reason, say someone orders a 200mw and sends it back because it's only 180, then they would have a meter to verify it's output, write down it's measured output power then would resell it as a 150 or 175mw pen.

You said I must have been a detective or something; maybe in a past life. My wife says the same thing, she says that often the fellow on the TV show Monk, reminds her of me.

Getting back to the subject at hand, to really tell you need to do detective work and find out if laser shipped with a measured output come from the same address as those that don't. Then have a meter to actually measure the power and verify if it matches the lasers output.

On bulk shipping, there are bulk shipper, but when they say bulk, they mean BULK! Like a shipping container on a cargo ship. If a laser comes in the mail with an individual tracking number from China and a postage sticker like you get when you mail something from the post office, then it wasn't shipped bulk.
You can also check things like where the company says it's located on it's website if it even says, then look at your package when it arrives and see how far the company is from the location the laser was shipped. Last week I think I posted on one that the company and location of shipping were 800miles apart.
Remember too that beamcheap was trying to get into the business of selling by a drop shipper and they were able to tell their customer (cooler7) what the output power was, they just asked their upstream supplier to test it and report the results, but you never know for sure what your output is until you get it and test it yourself with a claibrated meter.

Again, this is not directed at any company actual or fictional, just one of many possibilities as to how this could occur.