Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laserlabs lasers seem to be a scam

mary

I have bought a green 200mw laser pointer from laserlabs.co.uk and am really dissapointed. They say it will light matches but it doesent. I have tried for hours, put in new batteries and still will not work. I emailed them back and they dont seem interested and will not refund. My friend has a 50mw laser and it seems to be the same brightness as mine. Have I been scammed? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would say that unfortunately yes, you have been scammed. It's good that you came her and posted about it, though, since now others can learn from your experience.

mary

I thought that was the case. I will call my credit card tomorrow and see what can be done.

A green laser that is actually producing 200mW should not need to be focused to light a match.. and it should seem quite a bit brighter than a 50mW green laser.

mary

This laser is not focusable but tried many times with new batteries. Also it does pop black balloons but only about 1 inch away.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yes the website says 200mw High Power 200mW Green Laser Pointer it is the only one they do

Ugh it's the 'Newwish' style pen, not the best quality. Many sites sell '200mW' versions of that model, but I have yet to see one that actually puts out a constant 200mW. Pen size greens that actually do 200mW are extremely rare and expensive. This is probably the best >150mW green laser pen there is and it WILL be up to spec.

SALE! X150 Compact Portable Laser SAVE $70! - X-Series - Novalasers Inc.

If you must go Newwish, then Optotronics is one of the few companies I would trust to get me one that is spec.

Optotronics Product Details

jwc

You did indeed get scammed. That site looks very amateurish, so I imagine that maybe those sellers don't know much better either.

One thing you can try doing is getting a single 10440 battery and building a simple spacer with some wire and maybe a diode. Sometimes, the drivers on those pointers are linear garbage with a high voltage drop. That puts the voltage required to get the laser to lase just at about 3V. So, if you install a 10440 battery, you'll actually be able to run the laser at whatever current limit the driver was set at.

Improving Cheap Green Laser Pointers @ JWC.blog

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
@Mary, were are you located? I am guessing the UK? I am sure there are members who be glad to test that laser on their meters to be sure what it is putting AND just as important, whether it is filtered. If you were in Canada I would gladly offer this. :)

Hello Mary,
I bought the same 200mw laserpen from the same company, I had it for one week and then it started to malfunction, I sent email after email and telephoned them but they have become all shy. as you know you cant leave a message on there phone because they have disabled voicemail. I should of known better as I do have a 500mw green laser with a 2watt diode and IR filter and key activation, it cost me £400 and it is top range. I took a gamble with this company as I do know that a 200mw laser pointer with a true 1 watt laser would cost a lot more. they have cut back on safety features with this pen that is why it is so cheap. I also know that they work from home and don't have enough experience regarding Lasers. I can assume they are trying to make a quick buck before there bubble bursts! Go to google earth, type in there address and you can see the shabby house that they are selling from. mary, truthly if you want a good laserpen you will have to pay a lot more! take care.

Write or phone his local trading standards officer :-

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/doncaster/

These are his details from a publicly avaialble whois lookup:-

Domain name:
laserlabs.co.uk

Registrant:
michael pratt

Trading as:
MLP Technology

Registrant type:
UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:
58 north cliff road
doncaster
Yorkshire
DN12 3JP
United Kingdom

£70 for a substandard piece of crap is a outrage. All you have to tell the trading standards is that the item is "it is not to the spec as advertised" and that you have tried to contact him on a number of occasions with no reply.

If you really want to see him back peddle take a look here:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

and here:-

http://www.courtroomadvice.co.uk/how-make-claim-small-claims-court.html

Also I would be more than happy to meter the offending item and get you a readout from my Laserbee I deluxe - Just supply the postage and packaging. You can reach me through a PM if you want.

Ripoff artists like this need to learn a lesson the hard way.

Jerry

Morgan

As 2007Revolution says, I'd be happy to put the laser on my LPM and test if you'd like Mary?

[Edit: just seen your kind offer too Slammer. Either way, we're both happy to help.]

I'm in Bedfordshire, maybe your close?

If you want to stay UK based for purchases try Odicforce.com. Mix and match with the modules and a couple of hosts. I'd even put it together for you and test it if you're not confident to assemble. No IR filters as standard on the modules but Jon underrates his modules as they are supplied under the 200mW category but, as you are finding out, rarely do they measure up to stated outputs

M
:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the full details Slammer for Laserlabs. I do have his abode. I might just turn up at his front door dressed as the postman and give him my 5 litre tin of s--t that i save for a rainny day!