Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow Vega HV?

Not trying to necro too much here, so please forgive me, but I did some looking around, and this has been a "prototype" for how long? Justin, you first mentioned it here almost 2 years ago. Any ideas on how much longer until these are no longer prototypes?

Hey folks, I know that a lot of you have been asking about the 589 nm handheld lasers, and we've just finished our tests with good results. We now have three versions of 589 nm yellow lasers available (names above) with various features depending on what you need to do.

The Rigel-HV (Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers) is the standard Rigel laser pointer with a shiny new wavelength! Runs on 2 x AAA batteries and has no FDA safety features. (Americans, import >5 mW at your own risk, but we've never actually had any trouble in the past.) Currently available in power levels from 0.6-39 mW.

The Rigel Pro-HV (Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers) is a 589 nm handheld laser with full FDA-compliant safety features. You'll recognize the housing style as the "Aquarius Pro" or Novalasers' "Alpha". It's available in power levels from 0.6-20 mW.

The Vega-HV (Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers) is exactly the same as a normal Vega series yellow handheld laser, just with the more visible 589 nm wavelength. It's available with power levels ranging from 30-49 mW.

More power levels will likely be introduced as we continue to test and refine these lasers. Let me know if you have any questions.

AFAIK they remain prototypes until the manufacturer(s) work out bugs and quality control issues. LaserGlow will not sell a lower quality laser as anything but a prototype and not without informing the customer of the risks involved with prototypes. This the impression I was given on it anyway.

Know what I want? I want 50mW of 593.5nm in a handheld. 589 is great, but I want the golden 593.5.

That doesn't mean I won't grab a 589 like Smeer's if I have the opportunity to!

AFAIK they remain prototypes until the manufacturer(s) work out bugs and quality control issues. LaserGlow will not sell a lower quality laser as anything but a prototype and not without informing the customer of the risks involved with prototypes.

This is exactly the case.

The Vega-HV has been in and out of the prototype phase for years now (we thought we had the kinks worked out, but then it turns out we didn't). There is little demand for them so we haven't been moving too fast with the process. As you can imagine these lasers are difficult to produce, and we have standards of quality below which we cannot (and will not) sell an item normally.

However, I have some good news. I've finished re-testing the current prototypes and, aside from needing a 1-2 minute warmup period to stabilize, these bad boys look good to go.

I suspect they will be made officially for sale shortly.

Wish I waited another day or two for this, just paid for a >90mW from CNI for about the same price. Well, I sent the full amount of money but paypal decided to take their cut so I need to send a second payment... Hopefully the CNI model turns out well.

So, since these prototypes work are you guys going to try to work on shortening the warmup on the next batch (assuming there will be another)? If so I'll probably get one of these down the road if its duty cycle is better than CNI's.

Last edited:
Oh dude, Zraffleticket, you should have waited... Now I have to give you some bad news (but it's good news for everyone else).

We're going to put these Vega-HV's up for sale, probably on Thursday or Friday. And I've been given explicit instructions to let YOU guys get the opportunity to buy them early, and by early I mean starting right now.

There are two Vega HV 20mW units, one 30mW unit and one 50mW unit. The 20's are both averaging around 27mW and peaking around 42mW. The 30 is averaging at 44 and peaking at 57, and the 50 is averaging at 72 and peaking at 84! All four are beautiful 589nm TEM00 beams with 100% duty cycle - run it as long as you want!

You can go HERE and buy them outright, or you can contact sales and make a deposit or something and we can hold one of them for you for a reasonable length of time.

Last edited:
I probably should have..... Well, at least I helped open an opportunity to other people who might be interested. Unlimited duty cycle portable 589's... wow.

They have a power input jack just like the Hercules and work just fine with the Hercules power supply. :)

Please make a video of it. (We) want to see that peace of art. :D