Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserGlow Electra 405nm Unboxing + Review!

LaserGlow Electra

10469-150-edit.jpg

Specifications:
-Duty Cycle: 100%
-Laser Class: IIIa
-Wavelength: 405nm
-Power Supply: 2 CR2's
-Required Ouput Power: 2.0mW-4.9mW|My Model(Avg.3.6mW/Peak.4.0mW)
-Mode: Near TEM 00
-Operation: CW
-Price: $236.95

Overview:
What is a LaserGlow Electra? Is that a car? A plane? It's none of those. The LaserGlow Electra is laser pointer which produces laser light at a wavelength of 405nm, and produces a maximum of 5mW of that particular laser light, so right at the edge of what us humans can see! 405nm is quite different from other wavelengths due to it's special fluorecent abilities. I.e: If a 405nm laser is aimed at white paper it's color will turn blue instead of it's usual violet color.

Unboxing:
I didn't have a CR2 battery originally so I also purchased one and it arrived at the same time as the Electra, which is awesome! Now, let me say LaserGlow's packaging is great! The box itself is very strong and took me quite awhile to get it open, once inside I was relieved to find the laser completely protected with a good layer of bubble wrap. Along with that, the laser itself is tucked inside the box by a whole other layer of foam! Inside the box was also a few papers concerning the information about the particular laser.
10442-127.jpg
10443-128.jpg
10444-129.jpg
10449-131.jpg
10448-130.jpg

The Packaging:
Inside the box we find the all-mighty laser. On the box itself is the power output this particular laser puts out, as you can mine puts out about 3.6mW-4mW of 405nm light. The box itself feels sturdy and even has slots inside to store your batteries(just realized that a few mins ago) :D
10450-132.jpg
10451-133.jpg
10452-134.jpg

Electra Itself:
Let me just say, this is one of the ***iest lasers I have owned. The black finish fits just right with the gold touches. The host itself feels quite heavy and has a glossy finish, which not only brings out it's beauty but in my opinion makes it just truly stunning! One thing I would like to mention, this CR2 host(along with the 447 & 589) feature the 593.5 host momentary button instead of the 473nm's button. This isn't a big deal but a good amount of force needs to be applied to have it switched on! This particular laser takes 2 CR2's, not realizing this I took my CR2 out of my 473 pointer, so I apologize for it not appearing in the rainbow shot :)
10453-135.jpg
10454-136.jpg
10455-137.jpg
10456-138.jpg
10457-139.jpg
10458-140.jpg
10459-141.jpg

10462-144.jpg

Did Someone Say Dim?/Fluorecent:
I used to have a 100mW 405nm pointer and that appeared slightly bright. On the other hand, this(as mentioned before) is as far from the human peak brightness as you can get, meaning the dot is barely noticeable. At a distance all I see is fuzz, if I get closer I can see a dot but if waved around it disappears completely. It isn't a big deal, just makes it more interesting to me! As mentioned previously, this laser also has the ability to appear blue on white surfaces. Below is a shot of it on white paper, be aware this makes it appear brighter then it truly is :)
10460-142.jpg
10461-143.jpg
10463-145.jpg
10467-149.jpg

Final Thoughts/Collection:
Overall, I liked the Electra I really do. Even thought the dot itself isn't anything amazing I find it fascinating how different wavelengths have their own properties and brightness, which is the reason I picked this up due to it being eye safe. That being said, I would like to mention $240 is quite steep of a price when you can get 500mW of the same wavelength for about the same price, but if you aren't interested in power and want something which is eye safe, and have the funds!! This might be worth checking out. LaserGlow also took great care of me and shipped this unit a few hours after sending the payment which is super! The shipping time was 1 week on the dot which isn't too bad comming from Canada using UPS Standard shipping method :)
10466-148.jpg
10465-147.jpg
10464-146.jpg

Rainbow:
10470-001.jpg
10471-002.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this review of the 405nm Electra LaserGlow laser and if you would like more information about it, or beamshots just let me know!

-Alex

Last edited:

What would say were the benefits you've gained by spending that huge amount of cash compared to say a cheap ebay pen? I note one which is guaranteed power of < 5mW, I'm interested what else you gain. [I'm a lowish power kind of guy - so I get that bit]

What would say were the benefits you've gained by spending that huge amount of cash compared to say a cheap ebay pen? I note one which is guaranteed power of < 5mW, I'm interested what else you gain. [I'm a lowish power kind of guy - so I get that bit]

Well the benefits I see are as follows:
-You can be sure their pointers are <5mW, with eBay pens they rarely are <5mW
-The quality on this unit is much higher then an eBay pen, wether that is worth the $200+ or not is up to the individual.
-LaserGlow's customer service, even though sometimes not perfect is pretty good so to me(and are willing to take the time to answer my questions until I am satisfied) it's worth the pretty penny to receive something and know if it goes wrong I won't be stranded also after trying to buy a 405 from CNI the payment process is quick and efficient. Put in your card information, boom a few hours later shipped!
-^If something does break shipping it back to them is easy and painless since at least to me they are located in Canada.

In the end, I knew some people would think it's ridiculous I spent so much but im happy with it and this kind of laser is just where I find pleasure in the hobby :)

-Alex

The laser itself looks very well made! Ok the dot might be dim but like you said
Tha Greenlander said:
i find it fascinating how different wavelengths have their own properties and brightness

You included much detail and wow what a collection of pens you have :drool:

The laser itself looks very well made! Ok the dot might be dim but like you said

You included much detail and wow what a collection of pens you have :drool:

Thanks for the kind words Narwhal!

Yeah, that's why I my collection is more focused towards wavelength's then power, I just like to see how each is unique :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Narwhal!

Yeah, that's why I my collection is more focused towards wavelength's then power, I just like to see how each is unique :)

-Alex

No problem.

I am going to try and collect more pens in the future since in my opinio they are pretty nice to have around to flick on and off from time to time.

Last edited:
No problem.

I am going to try and collect more pens in the future since in my opinio they are pretty nice to have around to flick on and off from time to time.

That's good!

Do you know what wavelengths you are going to start out with? What company?

-Alex

They are nice looking pens, but jeez- $236?? For a little 5mW 405?

Last edited:
That's good!

Do you know what wavelengths you are going to start out with? What company?

-Alex

No idea at the moment.

Laser glow is too expensive for me at the time.

I guess that is my next goal "Finding a reliable company that sells quality

pens for reasonable price".

I might start off with something not too common.

Those damn 532nm lasers keep reminding me of brainless kids in Spain.

I like blues but my old 445 went a few years ago (From DX and I had no

idea what companies were reliable at the time:wtf:)

it was "apparently" 50mW But i highly doubt it was.

improved beam specs from what?! 405 diodes(barring those MM sneaksters that are waiting in the wings) are the knees(bees or otherwise) on beam specs, although with >5mw of 405, it will be VERY difficult to see the beam even with smoke/fog etc. Wheres the 473 in your rainbow pic GLer! Always like your reviews, even though i dont necissarily agree with your motivation (im not a burner, but 5mw of any WL leaves something to be desired to me) +1 :D

Thanks green!

I didn't add my 473 since the Electra uses 2 CR2 and I only have one, so I used the one in my 473. I'll buy a CR2 today so expect rainbow shots :)

@crazyspaz

Thanks! I agree $236 is a lot but I won't need to get another 405nm now since I'm satisfied :)

-Alex

Pman

Will certainly say you have very classy looking pens even if the outputs are too low to catch my interest much. You definately have a bunch of high class cat toys;)

Last edited:
No idea at the moment.

Laser glow is too expensive for me at the time.

I guess that is my next goal "Finding a reliable company that sells quality

pens for reasonable price".

I might start off with something not too common.

Those damn 532nm lasers keep reminding me of brainless kids in Spain.

I like blues but my old 445 went a few years ago (From DX and I had no

idea what companies were reliable at the time:wtf:)

it was "apparently" 50mW But i highly doubt it was.

Try going with laserbtb, their prices are pretty good and their lasers aren't half bad. I used to have one of their 650 pens and I enjoyed it! It was even 1mW overspec :D
-Alex

Will certainly say you have very classy looking pens even if the outputs are too low to catch my interest much. You definately have a buck of high class cat toys;)

Thanks Pman, appreciate the comment!

I would like to say the 405 also dosent look as dim in person. It's very dim but if you look close enough you can easily the "fuzz" pretty clearly. I called it fuzz since I can't see the dot at all with my eyes lol :D

-Alex