Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserbee raw output now visible in OSX environment

Trevor

But I (J.BAUER Electronics) do have an objection to anyone
blatantly competing with our Full featured LaserBee Windows
Eagle Eye™ Data Logging Software that is supplied FREE to our
LaserBee LPM customers.

LaserBees output a simple serial datastream representing power readings. To be quite frank, it is the customer's choice as to what software to use to read it - be it EagleEye, the Arduino terminal, or Peregrine.

@ Trevor... I'm sure you could work on a Kenometer or Radiant
Electronics software project since you've already worked hand in
hand with those sellers...

Peregrine will support those too, yes. :)

We would prefer that our products not be associated in any project
that associates our LaserBee products with any LPM competitor at this
time.

Well this is awkward...

I contacted our business lawyer yesterday to set up
a meeting for Monday morning to discuss a few legal
issues including this one..

I'll post back here after the meeting...

Jerry

Good. If you had set up a consult to talk about just this, you'd be wasting your money. When Apple tried to control how their users use their devices, the courts ruled against them.

As for the rest of you that support the project... thank you! Now that I'm back in town, I'll work on getting the source cleaned up so I can upload the current alpha build. :)

Trevor

Last edited:

LaserBees output a simple serial datastream representing power readings. To be quite frank, it is the customer's choice as to what software to use to read it - be it EagleEye, the Arduino terminal, or Peregrine.

Peregrine will support those too, yes. :)

Well this is awkward...

Good. If you had set up a consult to talk about just this, you'd be wasting your money. When Apple tried to control how their users use their devices, the courts ruled against them.

As for the rest of you that support the project... thank you! Now that I'm back in town, I'll work on getting the source cleaned up so I can upload the current alpha build. :)

Trevor

Good point.
Go for it. :)

Hell, my qtDMM also saw Laserbee output in mV... does that mean that qtDMM will be in trouble too. How can you regulate a non encrypted (serial) output? Did we hack a driver?
Good luck at the Lawyers office. I think I know the answer. Sorry you're SOL.
Don't know what to say.
Trevor, thank you for helping out the MacOS community!
btw, you wouldn't happen to have the Peregrine source files by any chance.
I'd like to try my hand at coding as well.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no legal leg to stand on in regards to stopping software that you don't own the IP to from working with a product your customers own when using it.

I thought we were better than legal bullying here at LPF.

:wave: SURPRISE :wave:

:fightin: saber rattling, over making an open sourced multi-LPM program.

Wow.. stoop to new lows?

Why isn't there a Mac version already anyway? :thinking:

Because that would require additional work for the developer, which may not be worth the effort for such a small market segment. The developer would probably need to buy a Mac, and go through the extra effort of making it compatible with OSX, learn GUI toolkits or be forced to use wrappers, learn to properly accessing data sources such as ports, make an installer for that platform, etc. All that may only win a few more customers, who probably already use Windows software emulators for the other software that doesn't run on Macs.

Just a little video showing the response time of the ULPM Peregrine software in action.
This is running in MacOSX 10.7.3.

Last edited:

Trevor

S_L: One thing I notice in your video is that your COM ports are showing up as more than just "COM1," "COM3," etc.

Can you provide a screenshot with the COM port dropdown expanded so I can figure out a solution for this?

Trevor

S_L: One thing I notice in your video is that your COM ports are showing up as more than just "COM1," "COM3," etc.

Can you provide a screenshot with the COM port dropdown expanded so I can figure out a solution for this?

Trevor

Yes. Here it is in action.
This is the screenshot.mov, showing that the serial list is actually cut off at the bottom. Menu is squished together.

Last edited:
I was getting that COM information as well.

That means your device is not properly installed with the correct drivers. I had the same issue with the arduino. But as I said before I reinstalled the RXTX.dll files and added the arduino drivers to my computer and I could get it to compile.

You might have to do the same. Is there a way in OSX to check the COM ports?

Actually, the device is seen without any problems. MacOSX makes available all devices on the bus. Every serial program in MacOSX also shows the same information as well. No error. the serial driver for the USB-RS232 adapter is seen fine. I have graphing working.
It's just that the workspace in Peregine is far too small.

If the device was seen properly (speaking from windows experience only) it should be dislaying the device name on the COM port from device manager. If it does not know what the device is, it will understand there is something connected to the port, and use that as its default name.

Last edited:
Actually the driver for the supplied RS232 to USB
will only display serial port adapter as the name. In the system info in MacOSX
The proper name is used.

S_L I just got home... If you wanna change the size of the work area in Peregrine, go to GUI and under GUISetup() there is a setting for size. Change that to set the working area size.

I'm working on centering the frame to the work area, that way you can resize the work area and still have all dimensions the same.

@ trevor... it would be wise to not use static values for positions.... I know this is a prototype and hasn't even hit alpha version yet... but would make it a lot easier later down the line.

Last edited:
Actually in the MacOS version only "the source" shows a GUIsetup(). I was hoping to edit the actual program its self.
However, in Processing the file that Trevor posted wants ControlP5 in a library but won't recognize the file. Can't run the changes to the program.