Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserBee II Issue

Which meters allow USB interface for computer graph recordings?

GSS

I see your LaserBee A has been discontinued..
Please tell me the AX will be around for a bit:)

Which meters allow USB interface for computer graph recordings?

In order on our Website...
1) Deluxe LaserBee II ---LCD Screen and PC Data Logging
2) LaserBee II OEM -----LCD Screen and PC Data Logging
3) LaserBee 3.7W USB --No LCD Screen but PC Data Logging

I see your LaserBee A has been discontinued..
Please tell me the AX will be around for a bit:)

No plans to discontinue any of the
of the other LaserBee products..

Jerry

Reactions: GSS
Mick doesn't seem to be in a hurry to solve his
LPM issues. Can't do anything today anyways until
Monday morning when I'll be back in the shop.

Jerry

Hi,
I was flat out catching up with some work stuff on the weekend - the joys of being self-employed.

Anyway, I'm just about to PM the details.

BTW - I haven't been getting any notifications re new posts here. I got one for the first reply to the thread and nothing since - is that normal? Starting the think there is some conspiracy against me and lasers.

Finally - I really want to stress that I am not suggesting the meter is faulty. Maybe I should have been clearer from the start. It was working fine for over a year and then I got really busy at work and it was very carelessly dumped in a draw for over a year. Just hoping it may be something simple I can fix or I'll probably just buy another one.

Basically, work took over my life over past 18 months and I'm going to make (at least a bit of) time for my hobby again - I have several diodes I got off DTR in late 2014 I still haven't put in hosts.

Cheers
Mick

Last edited:
He said he E-Mailed us but we got no E-Mails.
I don't know why he hasn't contacted us through
our [CONTACT] tab on our website... or tried to
contact us through PM here or through another
E-Mail account...:thinking:

Jerry

Because I sent an attachment and I couldn't do that through the contact tab. I had no idea the emails weren't getting through.

Last edited:
I didn't see your join date, made an incorrect jump to conclusions stupid assumption you were Accutronitris back to troll Jerry for being mad at him, as well as a bunch more of us.

Hi,
I was flat out catching up with some work stuff on the weekend - the joys of being self-employed.

Anyway, I'm just about to PM the details.

BTW - I haven't been getting any notifications re new posts here. I got one for the first reply to the thread and nothing since - is that normal? Starting the think there is some conspiracy against me and lasers.

Finally - I really want to stress that I am not suggesting the meter is faulty. Maybe I should have been clearer from the start. It was working fine for over a year and then I got really busy at work and it was very carelessly dumped in a draw for over a year. Just hoping it may be something simple I can fix or I'll probably just buy another one.

Basically, work took over my life over past 18 months and I'm going to make (at least a bit of) time for my hobby again - I have several diodes I got off DTR in late 2014 I still haven't put in hosts.

Cheers
Mick

Because I sent an attachment and I couldn't do that through the contact tab. I had no idea the emails weren't getting through.

No problem... I got your PM this morning....

By our records you purchased your LaserBee II OEM
almost 3 years ago. The number at the bottom left
of the Splash screen shows us that the LPM calibration
has been reset to it's Factory Default value...
How you managed this.. We don't know.:thinking:

The bad news is .... Your LaserBee II OEM is no longer
calibrated...:cryyy:

The good news is.... you don't need to buy another
one. Just send it back and we can re-calibrate it for
you and check the sensor's coating at the same time..:yh:

I'll send you the details for sending it back for repair
if you so choose.

Jerry

Last edited:
No problem... I got your PM this morning....

By our records you purchased your LaserBee II OEM
almost 3 years ago. The number at the bottom left
of the Splash screen shows us that the LPM calibration
has been reset to it's Factory Default value...
How you managed this.. We don't know.:thinking:

The bad news is .... Your LaserBee II OEM is no longer
calibrated...:cryyy:

The good news is.... you don't need to buy another
one. Just send it back and we can re-calibrate it for
you and check the sensor's coating at the same time..:yh:

I'll send you the details for sending it back for repair
if you so choose.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
If the calibration has been reset is it normal that it would start working sometimes - it happens for brief periods. Just got it out now and booted it up and it worked for about 90 seconds and measure my 175mw pen perfectly. Even when it shows the MAX error it seems to measure okay.

I know you can't diagnose over the internet but want to know if maybe I've ruined it somehow. I was sitting in a crowded draw full of all sorts of stuff for over 12 months.

Not sure if you remember me, but I ruined my first LPM pretty much straight away and had to send it back to you to re-coat the sensor. The biggest expense for me was the shipping to and from Canada. So with this one I am seriously considering whether it's worth the hassle to get it repaired vs just buying a new one, considering that if I do send it I may as well get the sensor re-coated.

BTW - Is there any way that operating the meter with a very flat battery could have caused any problems? The reason I ask, is that that is exactly what was happening when the problem first started.

Thanks
Mick

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,
If the calibration has been reset is it normal that it would start working sometimes - it happens for brief periods. Just got it out now and booted it up and it worked for about 90 seconds and measure my 175mw pen perfectly. Even when it shows the MAX error it seems to measure okay.

I know you can't diagnose over the internet but want to know if maybe I've ruined it somehow. I was sitting in a crowded draw full of all sorts of stuff for over 12 months.

Not sure if you remember me, but I ruined my first LPM pretty much straight away and had to send it back to you to re-coat the sensor. The biggest expense for me was the shipping to and from Canada. So with this one I am seriously considering whether it's worth the hassle to get it repaired vs just buying a new one, considering that if I do send it I may as well get the sensor re-coated.

BTW - Is there any way that operating the meter with a very flat battery could have caused any problems? The reason I ask, is that that is exactly what was happening when the problem first started.

Thanks
Mick
Yeah I remember 3 years ago we did repair your
Sensor and re-coated it. Actually it is all in the file
for this Serial Number.

The number (that you supplied) at the lower left of
the LCD Splash screen is the default factory number
that lets us know inn the shop that it has not yet
been calibrated.

I can't see the LPM MCU readsing correct power with
the Calibration set to the Factory Default value.
Software/Firmare does not mutate...:thinking:

Applying a Laser onto the sensor while in a Factory
Default value may get you a reading but it is very
far from accurate..

Since the your LaserBee II OEM has worked fine since
the re-coating 3 years ago it lets us know that only
recently it has been reset to the Factory default.

As to how you you want to proceed... that I'll leave
up to you.

We did a recent test on a LaserBee II and dropping
the voltage down below 7.5V only dimmed the LCD
and reset the MCU. When at least 7.5vdc was re-applied
to the power input the meter again functioned
correctly.

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Yeah I remember 3 years ago we did repair your
Sensor and re-coated it. Actually it is all in the file
for this Serial Number.

The number (that you supplied) at the lower left of
the LCD Splash screen is the default factory number
that lets us know inn the shop that it has not yet
been calibrated.

Applying a Laser onto the sensor while in a Factory
Default value may get you a reading but it is very
far from accurate..

Since the your LaserBee II OEM has worked fine since
the re-coating 3 years ago it lets us know that only
recently it has been reset to the Factory default.

As to how you you want to proceed... that I'll leave
up to you.

We did a recent test on a LaserBee II and dropping
the voltage down below 7.5V only dimmed the LCD
and reset the MCU. When at least 7.5vdc was re-applied
to the power input the meter again functioned
correctly.

Jerry

I had another play this morning and it gets weirder :confused:

The first time I booted up it worked fine for about a minute - I can only guess about accuracy but all of my lasers (175mw pen, 1W, and 2W) and all measured what would be expected. It then went to the MAX error. BUT when I touched the sensor block the MAX error would disappear and it would work fine for a little while.

I then rebooted to repeat. Touching the sensor did nothing. BUT if I hit it with a laser it would measure okay and then hitting the reset (for max reading to zero) button a few times the MAX error would disappear for a little while.

Seriously, when I have a problem it's never straight forward.

Hence my confusion in wondering whether it's worth it to send it back to you given I'm paying serious postage both ways + recoating + fix the problem.

Cheers
Mick

Last edited:
Jerry

Just for information (or reminder), sitting an electronics in a drawer for a long time could create a tin whiskers on the soldered pin of the components (I learn this the hard way).
But still, I totally agree that it should not mutate the firmware. If it is, then what happened would be the MCU will be dead/corrupt completely (or partially, on some of its pin, I also learn this the hard way).

@Mick:
I have my LaserBee II sitting several years in the cartoon box,
if the sensor was not connected, it will ramp up the reading until it reach overflow, IMO it's normal
and the display goes to zero once i connect the sensor (which is normal IMO), and it's still working fine after all these years.
Maybe, just maybe, the cable to the sensor is degraded? And you should inform Jerry if you touch the calibration data (e.g if you are accidentally doing some recalibration by yourself)

Just for information (or reminder), sitting an electronics in a drawer for a long time could create a tin whiskers on the soldered pin of the components (I learn this the hard way).
But still, I totally agree that it should not mutate the firmware. If it is, then what happened would be the MCU will be dead/corrupt completely (or partially, on some of its pin, I also learn this the hard way).

@Mick:
I have my LaserBee II sitting several years in the cartoon box,
if the sensor was not connected, it will ramp up the reading until it reach overflow, IMO it's normal
and the display goes to zero once i connect the sensor (which is normal IMO), and it's still working fine after all these years.
Maybe, just maybe, the cable to the sensor is degraded? And you should inform Jerry if you touch the calibration data (e.g if you are accidentally doing some recalibration by yourself)

It has me 100% baffled - what I am seeing just makes no sense logically :confused

I thought about the wires and sometimes twisting the wires and/or the female plug around does seem to make the error jump in and out. Then the next time it won't. I plan on replacing the wires and plug anyway to see if that makes a difference. Just need the time to drop in to an electronics store and buy the plug.

I was debating whether to mention my latest observation for fear of being labelled as ......... (take your pick - crazy, on drugs, drunk, all three). But hey, why not. This morning I plugged it in and got the error. Then simply having my hand near the system would make the error go away until I removed my hand. Yes, near. Not touching. I repeated it over and over again to ensure it wasn't coincidence. Then reboot and doesn't do it anymore.

I am going to try and make a video of this so people don't think I'm mad.

Have you been scuffling your feet across a freshly carpeted room wearing a wool sweater fresh out of the dryer while rubbing party balloons on your chest? That is so crazy. I believe you though. Please get it on video I have to see this.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I was debating whether to mention my latest observation for fear of being labelled as ......... (take your pick - crazy, on drugs, drunk, all three). But hey, why not. This morning I plugged it in and got the error. Then simply having my hand near the system would make the error go away until I removed my hand. Yes, near. Not touching. I repeated it over and over again to ensure it wasn't coincidence. Then reboot and doesn't do it anymore.

I am going to try and make a video of this so people don't think I'm mad.

Was this the sensor you was placing your hand near by any chance?