Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserbee I review

Ash

Here's my review of the Laserbee I laser Power Meter with thermopile sensor and data logging. LPF members can get it for 15% off: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/u...g-stock-ready-ship-15-lpf-discount-43922.html
-
-A few months ago, I mentioned that I was looking for good used LPM for <$200, ->thread<-
Jerry offered one of the Prototype Laserbee's that he had around the shop for a discount. I can't say exactly how much, but it was much less than $200, and it works perfectly. :)
It arrived in about 5 days to So Cal, and came with a driver CD, the LPM program installer, instructions, and a serial-USB connector.
LPM3.jpg

After having to do a little manual configuration in Windows Device manager to fix a problem with the ports, I got it logging:
90mWPHR.jpg

It works just on a 9V battery, but seems to suck a bit more juice when it's logging.
LPM2.jpg

All in all, I am extremely happy with getting this professional LPM for an affordable price. I don't mind if it was "one of the first models" or if its "used".
Jerry sent it very fast from Canada, and worked with me getting it logging in no time.
A+ meter :wave:

Attachments

• proto.JPG
    proto.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Morgan

Top review! Jerry is a hell of a guy for that sort of thing. Very accommodating I've found.

I've yet to hook mine up for logging. What cable do you use?

Thanks,

M
:)

Top review! Jerry is a hell of a guy for that sort of thing. Very accommodating I've found.

I've yet to hook mine up for logging. What cable do you use?

Thanks,

M

Morgan

See the blue dongle looking thing bottom left of the picture? that is the convertor from USB to DB9. The DB9 end plugs into the Laserbee via the socket connector at the top left of the picture, and a standard USB cable plugs in between the converter and PC USB port

In the deluxe version you mount the DB9 socket on the side of the enclosure and solder its wires (only 2 if I remember correctly from building mine) directly to the board.

Jerry

Morgan

Many thanks slammer. I may have to invest in one of those dongles and fit it inside my enclosure so it's just USB. Actually, does that mean it only connects to two wires of a USB cable? Couldn't I then swap out the DB9 socket all together? (My socket is soldered in three places on my bare Laserbee?)

M

Last edited:

Ash

Many thanks slammer. I may have to invest in one of those dongles and fit it inside my enclosure so it's just USB. Actually, does that mean it only connects to two wires of a USB cable? Couldn't I then swap out the DB9 cosket all togother? (My socket is soldered in three places on my bare Laserbee?)

M
I think you need to use the usb-serial converter and the supplied drivers.
If you don't have luck getting it logging, PM me and I can probably troubleshoot / help you with it.
1a_coffee_n_pc.gif

If you want to wire the laserbee directly to your PC, I think you would have to hook it up to a serial port.

Morgan

I'm thinking aloud here Ash because I have already removed the DB9 socket from the board to fit the meter itself and was going to reinstall the socket in the side of the enclosure. However, if I can get away with fitting one of these dongles inside or, better still, just run the connections straight to a USB female socket then that'll look much neater. I'm not up on cabling and computers so I am shooting in the dark but I thought it worth a mention. I suppose if it were that easy, Jerry would already be supplying them this way.

I'll drop you a line closer to the time but if you have any reason why it won't be possible to go straight to USB, 'out', then I'm all ears.

Thanks,

M

Hey Ash...
That is a nice Review of our now your Prototype LaserBee I...
Your LaserBee I pulls the same amount of power whether it
is connected to the PC Software and Data Logging or not...
It draws about 65mA..
If you deactivate the LCD Backlight the LaserBee only draws
about 5mA..

We use rechargeable 9Volt NiHM batteries in the shop...

@ Morgan...
The LaserBee I uses a DB9 RS232 connector to give you a
choice to use an older Laptop/Desktop computer as a stand
alone LPM or with the RS232 to USB Converter to use it on
a newer Laptop/Desktop that only has USB Ports.

You can mount the RS232 to USB converter into your enclosure
it you want..
BTW... the Green/Blue Conveter in the OP's photo gets it's power
for it's own internal electronics from your computer's USB Port..
(No... you can not use the power from the USB Port to power the
LaserBee...)
The LaserBee sends out RS232 protocol data to the DB9 connector
and the RS232 to USB Converter translated that data to the USB
protocol that can be used by your PC through the supplied USB
Prolific Driver..

Jerry

Last edited: