Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserbee 1000mW Laser Power Meter + Thermopile

daguin

I missed the Kenometers and realized very quickly that I needed an LPM to understand what I was seeing with my lasers. After reading the feedback from others who had purchased the LPM and researching who the buyers were, I decided to take a chance. Even though I am not very experienced, I thought that the situation warranted this post. This unit has been recently discussed in this forum and I just tested all of my lasers on a Kenometer (Thank you Scopeguy20) just five days ago.

I purchased the LPM from Laserbee on eBay, on April 9th. The unit arrived today (April 29) from Canada. It was packaged well in anti-static bubble wrap, bags, and a combination of foam and "peanuts" in a "double wrapped" box. The thermopile was wrapped separately from the meter. I unpacked the unit, attached the thermopile to the meter, and attached the 9V battery to the meter. It powered up fine. Laserbee states that the LCD is LED back light capable, but I haven't figured that out yet. It would help with ease of visibility.

The unit is small. The meter board is about 5.5cm x 7.5cm. The LCD screen is 3cm x 1.5cm. The thermopile is only about 7mm x 10mm.

I set the unit up and allowed it to adjust to the ambient temperature. What follow is the comparative measurements of my lasers. O = the labeled Mw from the manufacturer or dealer. K = What the Kenometer measured. L = what the Laserbee meter measured. The unit is advertised to be able to measure from 7mW-1000mW.

660nm
DX Dilda: O=200mW K=150mW L=152mW

532nm (DX style)
O=5mW K=19mW L= 15mW
O=30mW K=30mW L=30mW
O=50mW K=33mW L=30mW
O=200mW K=103mW L=100mW

593.5nm (XereX)
O=2mW K=2mW L=unable to measure

405nm
Lasershopuk O=<5mW K=11mW L=10mW
Milos O=14mW K=26mW L=24mW The Milos measurement was taken before he got his Kenometer
DrLava O=85mW K=95mW L=92mW

The Laserbee LPM measure fairly comparable powers to the Kenometer. They appear to maybe measure just a bit under, but I have been playing with these, with the same batteries for a week since the measurements were taken with the Kenometer.

The unit is small, The numbers on the small screen are difficult to see. Back lighting would probably help this. The small thermopile is a difficult target to hold steady on for my hand. Some sort of "holder" would solve this. The measurements, however, appear to be good. It will not measure below 7mW and I have nothing more powerful than 150mW to test it with, but it will do until Kenom finds another source for thermopiles ;)

If Kenom or another of the more experienced members of the forum would like to play with this, I would be happy to send it off for your perusal. If not, I guess I need to figure out how to back light it and get to building a box for it.

Peace,
dave

i bought the small 120 mw one from laserbee seems to work fine i just dont hasve anything to compare it too

Kenom

Ok I'd be happy to look it over.  I'll even video document it all so that there is no "bias" to my obvious hatred to laserbee.  just cause the guy has the interpersonal skills of a drunk doesn't mean that he's completely incapable of producing a decent laser power meter.

Might even be able to get the backlight workin for ya. Probably put it in a box for ya too.

daguin

Kenom said:
Ok I'd be happy to look it over. I'll even video document it all so that there is no "bias" to my obvious hatred to laserbee. just cause the guy has the interpersonal skills of a drunk doesn't mean that he's completely incapable of producing a decent laser power meter.

Might even be able to get the backlight workin for ya. Probably put it in a box for ya too.

You're on! Since I'm going to be sending you a box already, I think I'll send the other unit we discussed in PM along as well. Will that work for you? Make sure you let me know about any additional costs.

Peace,
dave

chido

Thank god someone posted a review on this, I've been looking for an LPM other than the lasercheck. As soon as I get money I'll get this. Thanks daguin.

Kenom

I'm good to go on this end and if there's anything additional I need I'll let ya know.

Benm

It seems the results are fairly consistent at least.. it would be nice to see a comparison with a branded and calibrated product to avoid stacking errors though.

Who is selling these meters and at what price?

chido

This is the site. BTW, does anyone have any idea to why you need a 500mW laser to calibrate the meter?

daguin

chido said:
This is the site. BTW, does anyone have any idea to why you need a 500mW laser to calibrate the meter?

My reading of it says that you need a calibrated LPM and a [highlight]100mW [/highlight]laser.

Also, it's cheaper on eBay than on his website.

Peace,
dave

chido

Well that's not what it says on his site so that's why I was asking.

EDIT: He currently isn't selling more of those on ebay.

Kenom

OK.  the reason that he wants you to use a specific laser is that the resistor that he shows in front of it is generating heat and that is how he calibrates it.  apparently the thing puts out 500mw worth of heat into the sensor.

That or that is the default setting on the software that he wrote for the pic in this.

daguin

chido said:
Well that's not what it says on his site so that's why I was asking.

EDIT: He currently isn't selling more of those on ebay.

My reading was from his eBay ad. If he's not selling any "currently" I would say you'll have to decide how badly you want it. Is it worth the wait to see if he puts them back on eBay for less or do you need it now more than you need to limit cost.

Peace,
dave

chido

Yes I know, when I get some money (broke as hell right now) I'll wait a while to see if he lists it up on ebay, if he doesn't then I guess I'll get the one on the website.
This of course depends on what Kenom thinks of the meter, I want to see how it performs with more powerful lasers.

I am happy to see that this is not as bad of a rip off as previously thought ! His earlier attempts at creating an LPM were complete failures. Good stuff to see improvement - one can only hope his communications skills have improved as much as his product evidently has ! :) Daguin - do you live near Scopeguy ? That meter he has was VERY difficult to let go - I think you could probably still see my tears on the casing from when I was crying as I packaged it up for him, LOL !! Scopeguy is one hell of a good guy, and he DESERVED the best :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

daguin

SenKat_Stonetek said:
I am happy to see that this is not as bad of a rip off as previously thought ! His earlier attempts at creating an LPM were complete failures. Good stuff to see improvement - one can only hope his communications skills have improved as much as his product evidently has ! :) Daguin - do you live near Scopeguy ? That meter he has was VERY difficult to let go - I think you could probably still see my tears on the casing from when I was crying as I packaged it up for him, LOL !! Scopeguy is one hell of a good guy, and he DESERVED the best :) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It was, at least consistent with the measurements that the Kenometer were giving (at least with my lower powered lasers). This one is already on its way to Kenom to be critiqued in a more professional manner.

Plus, he says he's gonna make it all purty and stuff fer me. I think I want to bear his children . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . maybe not

I live about 10 miles from Scopeguy :)

I tried three times to walk out with his new meter. ::)

He caught me every time :'(

Heck! Texas ain't that far. My wife and I flew to Tennessee once to meet someone. We came back with a puppy :eek:

You gonna get the store working? or should we make a private deal?

Peace,
dave

Kenom

I've had some interesting results from this meter so far.  I'm using two lasers at present to test the power.  I'm not going to be using any green lasers to test on this as a green laser just fluctuates too much to get an accurate reading of the meters capabilities.  

I can say this.  I tested my 15mw bluray on my meter and noticed it's dropped 1-2mw depending on temp.  so as such I saw 13mw average.  While on the laserbee meter I noticed a reading of 1mw difference.  I then tested with a 135mw laser and noticed a 10mw difference between that and the kenometer.  Needless to say with the variance I'd say the cause is more to do with the coating as it' looks to be just plain ol' spray paint (high temp) and that's not good enough. They even say in the instructions not to focus a high powered laser onto the sensor but to instead spread it out over the entire sensor.  with the proper coating this wont' be an issue.

I do like how small the unit is.  

Needless to say I've still got some more testing to do and putting it inside a box.  I will report any different findings as they happen.

Dave can you give me your Phone #' I'd like to talk to you. Pm me plz.