Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser TV - will we ever see this technology?

recently it was LED tv's which got all the limelight, but in reality they are the same as LCD tv's but with and edge-lit backlight. currently everybodys buzzing about the new "3D-HD" tv's which will be out near christmas time.
some people are wondering about "Laser-TV".
what is stopping the big boys like panasonic/sony etc in making a real laser powered tv?
i know green and blue diodes aren't available but how would they work around this technology? is there any other way? would it still have to go through a frequency doubling procedure? what other kind of frequency doubling procedure could they use besides dpss?
if there is a way around this, why hasn't anyone already made one?
i see mitsubishi have a Laservue TV but how are they making the green and blue?
any thought's on this?

The current laser TVs use DPSS. DPSS is by far the easiest way to get good, consistent power in green, definitely. Blue diodes have come a long way, but still have some work left to do. Until we have diodes for all 3 colors, I doubt we see a ton in the way of TVs. Yeah, there's the LaserVue, but it hasn't done much. And really, OLED may beat out lasers for TV anyway. But lasers will REALLY shine in micro projectors, like in cell phones.

We won't really see laser display technology until we have commerically-viable diodes in all 3 colors. DPSS is too inefficient, too big, too inconsistent, too tedious. With diodes, it's just add the right amount of electricity and you're done, but DPSS isn't that simple.

And green diodes are working, but not commercialized. See the article I posted just today in the General section. Feasible green diodes have really only come around in the last few months. A couple of companies have made them, but they're no where near ready for commercial production. High voltages, high threshold, VERY high cost at the moment. But they're very much on their way, and we'll see them before too much longer.

wow thanks for that pullbangdead, great bit of info.
i just saw that "sumitomo electric" just recently produced the first green laser diode in the world. you mentioned that blue diodes have come along way. what wavelength are these diodes and am i right in thinking they're still at the production stage?
i was just watching this video and it almost had me fooled.
Startup unveils 100 inch 3D laser TV | Video | abc7news.com
what kinda laser technology are they using there? to me it looked a bit like OLED.
i know what you mean about OLED though, i am soo eagerly awaiting that technology but it will be really expensive if and when it comes through.

Regarding the 3D-HD tv's...I recently saw one of these in person and it BLEW MY MIND...You can literally see into the screen, it is TRUE 3D badassness(that's a word huh?) is incredible. Be on the lookout for this technology, its going to change TV's forever!

yeh partially agree with you KGB. the 3D stuff does look amazing but not quiet as sharp and detailed picture as you get with 1080p bluray material.
what i wanna know is how do the current laser tv's like the laservue etc differ from proper laser technology. these are DLP displays using a laser engine.

wow thanks for that pullbangdead, great bit of info.
i just saw that "sumitomo electric" just recently produced the first green laser diode in the world. you mentioned that blue diodes have come along way. what wavelength are these diodes and am i right in thinking they're still at the production stage?
i was just watching this video and it almost had me fooled.
Startup unveils 100 inch 3D laser TV | Video | abc7news.com
what kinda laser technology are they using there? to me it looked a bit like OLED.
i know what you mean about OLED though, i am soo eagerly awaiting that technology but it will be really expensive if and when it comes through.

If it's a production laser TV right now, it's using some form of DPSS, because there are no production green diodes.

As far as wavelengths of diodes available, you have to remember how diodes are made and how wavelength it determined: it's continually variable! We can produce any wavelength between some minimum and some maximum wavelength. With the violet/blue/green end of the spectrum, these are GaN/InGaN diode. GaN by itself emits at ~385nm. Adding more indium increases the wavelength, and diodes have been produced all the way up to (at least) 531nm. The more indium, the higher wavelength. Of course you have to do other stuff too, but really, diode makers can make any wavelength between <400nm and ~531nm using the same system. At least those are the current limits to the technology.

So with laser displays, since we can make any wavelength within the range, the wavelengths will be selected to give the best image. For instance, current DPSS laser displays have to use 532nm, because that's what color green DPSS gives you. However, the CIE chart says that 520nm gives a wider color gamut, so display makers will probably want diodes manufactured to emit at 520nm instead of 532nm. Makes sense? And the blue color selected will also be the one to give the widest color gamut, you can look at the CIE chart to guesstimate what that wavelength would be

yeh partially agree with you KGB. the 3D stuff does look amazing but not quiet as sharp and detailed picture as you get with 1080p bluray material.
what i wanna know is how do the current laser tv's like the laservue etc differ from proper laser technology. these are DLP displays using a laser engine.

That's exactly right, IIRC. DPSS lasers with the DLP MEMS mirror stuff.

mfo

Wow, this is amazing stuff. You're very knowledgeable on this sort of thing PBD. Where do you get all of your info?

Pretty soon, I can imagine everyone here ripping apart televisions instead of optical writers lol.

Wow, this is amazing stuff. You're very knowledgeable on this sort of thing PBD. Where do you get all of your info?

It's my job. I'm a grad student, and my research focuses on GaN/InGaN laser diodes. The research group I'm in works on laser diodes, LEDs, and other aspects of group III-nitride semiconductors.

So yeah, we do a lot of cool stuff. And I have to be up to date on all this stuff, because these companies working on green diodes alongside us are generally our competition (or our funding :crackup: LOL ).

I've seen a few laser TVs operating in the lab over the past couple of years. One was over at Coherent (which is a couple blocks from where I work), and I've had one running in my lab for about 2 years now. The one I built uses Novalux lasers for green and blue, and a QVC red laser. Both companies went through major changes since I built it. Novalux partly because they couldn't get the red to work well enough.

One of the challenges to the release of laser based projection TVs is the potential liability from people harvesting the lasers and causing damage with them. Another is the removal of laser speckle (my focus). A third is the competition of LEDs.

But 3-D pushes toward laser TV because the light starts out polarized. If that's maintained throughout the system, you'll get almost twice the light to each of the viewer's eyes behind polarized glasses. By the way, forget about any 3-D system that uses flat LCD shutter glasses. That technology is already obsolete. Cheap passive polarized glasses that can be curved to follow the shape of your head are way better.

jbtm

I know since 2009 Theres been laser TVs in the market..I've seen them at bestbuy all the time. Color pallet compared to a plasma TV is rather outstanding...But I never seen a 3D one.