Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser TV Diodes

With lasers TV's on the horizon, with their betterc color and half the price of plasma, i wonder what kinda diodes they will be using?
Anyone have any good TECHNICAL info on how the laser TVs will work??

diachi

well it probably wont use diodes, it wall probably use DPSS modules .

Diachi

Diachi said:
well it probably wont use diodes, it wall probably use DPSS modules .

Diachi
I don't know about that, if they mass produce green diodes there will be no need for DPSS modules because DPSS will be more expensive and unstable, although I don't think they have successfully made any green laser diodes that last any decent amount of time.

rkcstr

well, there was those laser projectors that are being produced now that are supposedly diode based, considering they'll fit in a mobile phone

But, they'd obviously need to be more powerful for a TV, but if they can make them small, I'm betting they can make them bigger as well.

I think they'll use diodes, just not yet. DPSS green is pretty cheap now, even at high powers, so the green and blue will most likely remain DPSS until a reliable an inexpensive source for both colors is available.
But what kind of power can we expect?

Edit: 200mW total? I dunno about that. I'm sure it would depend on screen size, but 200mW total is a bit low, I think.

Edit again: Unless you mean 200mW for an individual laser diode...

keeperx said:
we are only talking about 200 MW total power consumption here
you realize you said 200 MEGA watts right?  :eek: this thing will cost a fortune just to turn on for a few seconds. current prices are about 15 cents per kilowatt... so it will cost $30,000 per minute of use!

Yes, 200W, either 200mW or 200MW would be pretty insane :p. They will be using diodes for red and blue - green will be DPSS. I forgot where, but I have seen some more technical info related to POSSIBLE projection methods. I'm guessing Mitsi isn't going to be spewing all the info about how to rip off their design quite yet though ;). In any case, ripping apart a TV for the diodes would be pretty... insane of you if that's what you're thinking.

artix

What about a gas laser. A white gas laser that can make any colour! Like that supercontinuum laser

DPSS is too expensive, inefficient, and tedious.  There will be green electrically pumped diodes, so the red, green, and blue will all be diode based.  MUCH more power efficient and cheaper to make eventually.  Right now, green laser diodes are a goal, but they are a goal that is very reachable.  Blue already works, it's just a matter of making it work better and getting it on par with the 405 diodes.  405, blue, and probably green will all be made on the same materials system; there are currently just a few big problems barring green from having happened already.

EDIT: Just read an article (http://compoundsemiconductor.net/cws/article/business/34203) that says Arasor just bought Novalux, and that Novalux had been supplying Mitsubishi with the laser light sources for their TVs. If all this is true, the new LaserVue TVs ARE using a type of DPSS laser, the Novalux NECSEL. It's a very special DPSS, but it is an IR diode with frequency-doubling to achieve visible emissions. So, that is that, until electrically pumped blue is made better and green is made at all.