Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Laser strikes" - on ABC World News

Did anybody watch the 5:30 World News on ABC just now? They had a bit on people shining lasers at planes and helicopters... People doing this piss me off! They are generating the wrong kind of attention, and they are going to screw it up for the rest of us!

I'm sure someone could find the link to the story but I'm on a kindle... just wanted to see who else saw it...

Edit: Heres The Link
Laser Strikes

Last edited:

sorry for the bump but I agree i hate these A$$ holes please excuse my laguage but seriously people need to be responsible.If people keep doing this stuff lasers will be highly illegal and if you get caught with one you can look at jail time.Its not worth it ! Plus a if you shine it at the wrong helicopter and its a cop your screwed bad they will catch you and put you in jail.I dont think people understand the beam looks small when you shine it at your wall but when its that far the beam will completely cover the air craft.Stupid people!

sorry for the bump but I agree i hate these A$$ holes please excuse my laguage but seriously people need to be responsible.If people keep doing this stuff lasers will be highly illegal and if you get caught with one you can look at jail time.Its not worth it ! Plus a if you shine it at the wrong helicopter and its a cop your screwed bad they will catch you and put you in jail.I dont think people understand the beam looks small when you shine it at your wall but when its that far the beam will completely cover the air craft.Stupid people!
^^^ I agree with you completely....

And I'm thinking its only going to become more prevalent with time, as high powered lasers are becoming cheaper and cheaper, and are more readily available. More and more idiots are going to be getting their hands on them.

Unlike guns, our constitution doesn't protect our rights to own lasers... so when push comes to shove and the government decides to ban lasers with certain powers, we aren't going to have a group like the NRA to back up the people who use them safely. The idiots buying lasers without any thought of safety aren't thinking about the consequences though....

Last edited:
I agree with the fact that they're becoming more available now-a-days, meaning more people will have them, meaning more idiots will have them :shhh:

The problem is that due to ease in which diodes can be extracted from projectors and such it is next to impossible to restrict import of the things. Some Asian companies won't ship anything over 5mW to the US, but who cares when you get a 1.5watt blue domestically for a bit more money. It would require an out-right weapons classification of the things to really dent the market, and I'm increasingly convinced that's a possibility.

A few friends of mine are city cops and they are instructed to confiscate any laser pointer seen operating outside a private residence of any wattage.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a new phenomenon. Here, in my local area, a man was just indicted by a grand jury for being so stupid as to shine his green at a police helicopter...repeatedly.

Let's not pretend that because we have more access to better diodes and such that this is a growing problem.

Affordable red pen lasers have been available for more than a decade, reasonably priced greens for at least 5. The laws that are already on the books are there for a reason: A$$h0l3s have been abusing the privilege for far too long.

Our duty is to be responsible laser owners, and to advocate and even protest in favor of reasonable legislation that doesn't punish us all.

Be good boys and girls.

At one time- I sold some green pointers ( they were getting me $40 each back then-30% mark-up) and was not a choosey about who got them- Then one of my buyers ended up at a party and I was there- he started by shining it on the backsides of some of the girls that were dancing- then he hands it off to a even bigger fool that starts 'boob scanning' I had to walk over and have a chat- at first they acted like I was the jerk- I had to convince them that I was about to take it away and give back the 40$- or we would be having a go around then and there.. they took me seriously and stopped and since then I take great pains to be sure I am no longer selling to these types of people- and even when I see somebody I don't know starting with these behavours I do not hesitate to try and convince them of what they are doing is very wrong and why it needs to stop= I usually ask it they think its cool to aim a gun at someone's butt or boobs or even their feet- to me its the same thing... Am I making a difference??- prolly not much- but if we all try to see that as something that really needs an active approach we can make a change in some little way- I will not give up.

my dos centavos

hk

Last edited: