Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Show on the cheap

as long as its a steady current and doesnt fluctuate at all then probably so. reds use 3-4v and br uses 5-8v(8v is for higher power br's like an 8x). 5-6v should be sufficient for phrs and 6x's.

most of the 20Kpps or 30kkps units on ebay seem to have a max 12 angle which seems really low.

That seems incorrect.. 20-30kkp usually has around 20 degrees not 12..

Heres a link to a SP20 set.. SP20 - Ebay

Here are the specs

Scan angle: speed
±30°Opt: 16Kpps
±20°Opt: 20Kpps
±15°Opt: 23Kpps
±8°Opt: 28Kpps
±5°Opt: 32Kpps

Hope that helped!! -Adrian

Things

The scanpro 20's have a hard enough time reaching 19Kpps, you can't go much higher with them without distortion.

This may be a silly question, but is a bench power supply that can supply a constant voltage and amperage output that I can program to different settings equivalent to a driver for a laser diode? I'm assuming I can use my bench supply set to 5-7v at 200ma and have it power a laser diode without a problem, for testing purposes.

I use a variable bench supply for testing laser diodes all the time. Make sure there is no voltage present when you connect and disconnect diodes. Once the diode is connected, you can ramp the voltage and current up and start testing. Make sure your test diodes are in some sort of heatsink, though, because loose diodes heat up very quickly.

lv128

That seems incorrect.. 20-30kkp usually has
Here are the specs

Scan angle: speed
±30°Opt: 16Kpps
±20°Opt: 20Kpps
±15°Opt: 23Kpps
±8°Opt: 28Kpps
±5°Opt: 32Kpps

Hope that helped!! -Adrian

Well I'm just saying what I found on ebay, the few ones I located said 12/20kpps though correct me if I'm wrong, you need a large scan angle to be able to make large displays without having to have it too close the destination. What's a good starting point for kpps and angle?

Pretty much all entry-level galvos like DT 25s or scanpro 20s have basically the same max scan angle. Also, your DAC might not even support running the galvos to their max, so it's really not something to fret about too much. Stick with the most recommended models and you'll be fine.

Last edited: