Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser pointer smells!

they just told me that they are not allowed to replace anything as a store policy so I am SOL. its not a big deal (to me) as I have another laser. I not going to make a big deal as it was only $18. it just gives me another opportunity to get an O-like, LED-shoppe, or rayfoss laser. I'm going to drop the subject and not bother just to get $20 or so bucks back.:thanks: for you guys support

DJNY

Lol they are not allowed to replace something when they damage/kill it... so f***ing funny :D
Never heard such twaddle... hate those people!! 18$ aren´t so much right but I would contact consumer protection only as a matter of principle.

Whaaatever.... hope next time you have more luck :yh:

Well you are taking it quite maturely... Kudos..
You should ask if he(the sales Jerk) would like the tank on his gas
car filled... with diesel fuel... and you won't even charge him...:eg:

Like HIMNL9 mentioned... maybe it is the diode on the PCB that
cooked... it does look a little black around that part..
If that is all it is... it's a $0.10 part...:cool:

Jerry

I have taken another pic of the PBC
P1030343.jpg

dont know if it helps

My brother was messing around with the laser and found a small disk like foam pad. and was slightly burnt, you could also smell that it was burnt. I dont know if my laser is still okay, or not

Nope, that picture isn't anymore clearer than the last one. Do you have a macro setting on your camera?

Murdermajig, can you read what is says on that component?
should be something of a type
R23
2R3 or similar (I'm guessing the numbers, not necesarely 2 and 3)

You see, SMD resistors are marked this way: if it says: 1R0 that means the resistor value is 1 ohm. 2R0 is 2 ohm. If it says R23, that is 0.23 Ohms. Get it?
You should try to desolder that small component if you can, and replace it with same value resistor (not neccessarely SMD). Then you should try to power your laser from 3 to 4 V.
I'm seriously hoping that it will work! Good luck!

HIMNL9

^ If the resistor is only one ..... sometimes, for save space and match precise vaues, resistors can also be soldered in parallel, one over the other ..... in this case you need to desolder them and get what value is.

There is another possibility, that this is a fuse (some drivers uses fuses in smd and they looks like resistors), but from that pic, is really impossible to say, sorry .....

When electronics fail, it is often more than one part that fails unless there is a fuse. This seems like a lot of work for $18. He'll have order the resistor, wait for it in the mail, replace it, find out a regulator elsewhere is broken, order a regulator, wait for it, replace it, and all just to find out the pump diode is blown. Just learn from this mistake and buy a new one.

Kenom

I have also had a bad experience with batteries Plus+. I also went in looking for some 18650's and had to spend 10 minutes explaining to the manager and all his staff exactly what an 18650 even was. When they indicated tht they had no clue nor anything like that in stock, they proceeded to tell me that the barrel looked like it took 2 cr123's and I blatantly laughed at them and asked... "Really! and just what do you think would happen if I put 6-8 volts into a host that is designed for ONLY 3-4V? Do you plug in a 24v battery into a car that only requires 12v??!"

Never been back since

DJNY

I have also had a bad experience with batteries Plus+. I also went in looking for some 18650's and had to spend 10 minutes explaining to the manager and all his staff exactly what an 18650 even was. When they indicated tht they had no clue nor anything like that in stock, they proceeded to tell me that the barrel looked like it took 2 cr123's and I blatantly laughed at them and asked... "Really! and just what do you think would happen if I put 6-8 volts into a host that is designed for ONLY 3-4V? Do you plug in a 24v battery into a car that only requires 12v??!"

Never been back since

Nice :gj:

Resistor says 1RO, where would i be able to get one

That is one ohm resistor, you can pick one oup at local electronics store, that sells components. They usually always have 1 ohm .
If you have some electronics taken apart, you can search for it, in non-smd version, color code is
Brown Black Gold Gold
combinations with other than last 'gold' also possible, just make sure you have the first three correct!