Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Misery

And clearly the videos online serve as poor source material because I have so far been unable to build anything successful using them.

Clearly it is the videos. It's a good thing everyone on this forum can buy completed lasers from those tutorial makers too, otherwise we would have no lasers!

And I'm no English major or anything, but isn't it considered improper to start a sentence with "and"? Seems a journalist should know such a thing.

I'll give you a tip though, not all laser diodes are round "triangle" pin diodes. You will find the others if you search for them. (Research?)

Trevor

I'm not allowed to say until it's published.

I see. Well, you're barking up the wrong tree, honestly.

Since you are entirely unfamiliar with the build process, it's pretty safe to say you're entirely unfamiliar with the safe operation of a high power laser.

I'm not very inclined to instruct the blind man so that he can lead more blind men.

This "journalism" story is getting less and less convincing.

-Trevor

I guess I'm just a Cynical Bastard, but I don't believe anyone Who says They need to build a BURNING Laser immediately for School/Work/Etc is Legit.:tsk:

rhd

I'm sorry, but if this dude was "testing" the polarity of the laser diode by attached (+) and (-) feeds directly from a battery, then he really shouldn't be writing ANY tutorial that has to do with lasers... and for that matter, I'm not surprised that *this guy* couldn't figure out the tutorials online.

Nothing to do with the tutorials being inadequate.
Everything to do with him being inadequate.

I don't buy this phantom publication story. This is a 14 year old with no electronics skills or knowledge, looking for us to spoonfeed him his build instructions so that he can impress his friends with a scary burning laser. Whether or not he may intend to write some "story" or "tutorial" for some blogger.com zine he has started, is another story altogether, but not respectable publication would go about "journalism" like this.

Main Page - Wired How-To Wiki

Here is the last thing I wrote:

Find Stored iPhone Location Data on your Computer - Wired How-To Wiki

If I was going to commit arson, I would not use a laser. This isn't a criminal endeavor. I'm writing for wired, and my contract states that I'm not supposed to publicly disclose what I'm writing about for Wired before it runs.

I understand your concern, but I need to do this one way or another, and I would like to do it the right way and safely. That's something you are all more capable of than I, and I would really appreciate any help I can get here.

My name is Taylor Dobbs. I'm a journalist. I plan on being accountable for anything I do with this laser.

Trevor

The last thing we need is a tutorial on Wired on how to build a laser that will light fires.

I like my hobby too much. :(

-Trevor

The last thing we need is a tutorial on Wired on how to build a laser that will light fires.

I like my hobby too much. :(

-Trevor

I respect your concern, but the only way this can get more dangerous is without experts advising it, so I would very much appreciate your help.

Ash

I suggest not putting the cart before the horse.
Don't promise your boss that you will write a story about something that you have absolutely no knowledge about. Or, maybe that's your "thing", what you do.??
Either way, all the info is available here at the forums, with a few searches and if you are too lazy to do your own research, we ain't gonna' do it for you, bud. :cool:

rhd

I suggest not putting the cart before the horse.
Don't promise your boss that you will write a story about something that you have absolutely no knowledge about. Or, maybe that's your "thing", what you do.??
Either way, all the info is available here at the forums, with a few searches and if you are too lazy to do your own research, we ain't gonna' do it for you, bud. :cool:

"Boss" ?

I must be missing something, because the pages he linked us to look like Wikis to me.... I'm not sure this is a paid gig?

If it is, someone should email his "boss" :)

I see this article having the potential to waste a lot of well-intentioned and enthusiastic Wired-readers' money.

1. Journalists research. That's their job. If you did this you could have figured this out.
2. I'm Tonya Mosley. Here is my latest story. Here
3. Journalists are given more than a day to write about something they don't know.

-Brandon

Every bit of required information is on this site...

Of course I haven't run across a "How to Build Burning Lazor for Dummies" yet, and IMO with good reason.

Trevor--to be quote honest...the last thing we need is the mention in a big name publication like Wired, that our community is rude and unhelpful.

From what I can make out, this community prides itself on civility of discourse and responsible conduct. But here, within just a few posts people were outright calling this guy a liar and inadequate. We can do better...

Sorry but I have no experience building lasers. Overclocking is another matter.

Trevor

Trevor--to be quote honest...the last thing we need is the mention in a big name publication like Wired, that our community is rude and unhelpful.

From what I can make out, this community prides itself on civility of discourse and responsible conduct. But here, within just a few posts people were outright calling this guy a liar and inadequate. We can do better...

Sorry but I have no experience building lasers. Overclocking is another matter.

First of all, I've got a major problem with someone waltzing in and asking us to aggregate information that they are being paid to gather.

Second, the last thing high-powered laser need is more publicity. Seriously. "We" all agree on it. Who is your collective "we?"

-Trevor