Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser light and summer haze :)

I went outside this evening and took some more laser photos, putting this summer humidity
to work! Here are the results!

Laser rainbow, from a fairly close range:
laser_rainbow_03_zpsacb42ecf.jpg

From farther away:
laser_rainbow_04_zps660bfa93.jpg

As it gets darker, the camera opens its aperture wider to adjust, making the laser look like
a jet of blue flame. The focus setting on the laser itself is unchanged; it is still set to infinity.

laser_blue_flame_zps49b706da.jpg

Darker still. The green laser is focused to infinity; the flame jet effect is due to the de-focusing
behavior of lower f-numbers.

laser_green_fire_zps0052ed11.jpg

The red laser seems less affected by low f-numbers. Or perhaps the aperture has constricted
some, since the camera is taking in some extra light from the 'halo' area near the beam. The
ribbon-like character of the multi-mode beam is apparent.

lasers_08_zpsbbff6226.jpg

405nm @ 500mW. It's too dark to work with any of the other lasers now, but perfect for the
violet. I think the shot looks good but the camera doesn't really do this laser justice. In real
life it's a vivid black-lite purple. Have to get inside now, for soon the woods trolls, vampires,
and heck knows what else will be prowling!
:eek:
lasers_07_zps2da903a8.jpg

Safely back inside, my laser crucifix will keep me safe from the nightly monsters! :crackup:
laser_cross_zps898325a8.jpg

We desperately need yellow laser diodes, something like 575nm. Fingers crossed for RYGB
pico-projectors! Some 604nm and 488nm wouldn't hurt either, anybody want to organize a
stealthy raid on Nichia's labs, since they apparently charge thousands for such diodes?
:shhh: :eg:

Enjoy, and :thanks: for viewing! :beer:

Last edited:

IsaacT

I will assist in this Nichia raid!!! I love your RGGBV pics by the way :) What type of camera do you use for those pictures? And is that a 635 or 650?

EDIT: I take it that is your skylaser line up?

Last edited:
Very cool. Looks like a Tron electric fence. Lol
I've been curious. Can you see (the beam) say of a 500watt + 445 at night from a fairly dark site? Iam curious if I could use my up comming build for a astronomy pointer at night.

-Tom.S

Yep, those are my Skylasers that I got from Offroadfreak's GB #2. Except for the 532nm, which I bought separately some time before.

The camera is a Canon Powershot A2000 IS. It's a decent camera all-around.

The red is 650nm @ 300mW. For whatever reason, Sky didn't include their HL-635 in the GB. But, it's not very expensive, and I have room for a sixth laser on the stand... hmm. I might place an order when I get off work today... :thinking: :whistle:

Glad you all enjoyed the pics!

very cool. Looks like a tron electric fence. Lol
i've been curious. Can you see (the beam) say of a 500watt + 445 at night from a fairly dark site? Iam curious if i could use my up comming build for a astronomy pointer at night.

-tom.s

MOST ASSUREDLY, yes:crackup:

In the event that you meant to say "a 500mW + 445nm", then yes that is also plainly visible, given enough haze in the air.

Marco Polo, is that a 520nm right in the middle of your rainbow shots? >>>>>>>> Edit: OOPS! Nevermind...I just noticed the 520nm listed in your arsenal in your sig...

Either way, they are some VERY nice beamshots you got there. Nice job, and thanks for sharing.:thanks:

Last edited:
Super sweet shots. I'm just itching for a foggy day. :)

Thanks for sharing these!!

CDHDC

Great pics! What kind of stand do you have to hold all these like that on a stump?

IsaacT

He said it was a chemistry stand. To hold chemistry stuffs. I wonder if the chemistry people realize you are cross contaminating it with physics stuff haha.

Great pics! What kind of stand do you have to hold all these like that on a stump?

It's a chemistry glassware stand, also commonly called a "ring stand". A common attachment is an iron ring which clamps to the vertical rod, you put some iron gauze on this and set a beaker or whatever you want to heat on top of that. Then put a bunsen burner underneath and fire it up. The ring can also be used to support an electric heating mantle designed for round-bottom flasks. There are lots of different clamps that can hold a variety of things, but the term "ring stand" has stuck.

He said it was a chemistry stand. To hold chemistry stuffs. I wonder if the chemistry people realize you are cross contaminating it with physics stuff haha.

They have no grounds for complaint, chemistry is just a subset of physics whether they like it or not :cool:

Last edited:
Hey Marco Polo,
UPS just delivered my Ring Stand and I should get my four (to start) Burette Clamps next week sometime. You have come up with such a great way to mount multiple lasers! I have an idea on how to attach diffraction gratings to the lasers attached to the clamps. When I get it all together, hopefully my weekly photo shoot next weekend, it should be really intense, as I have some scenarios in mind that should look visually stunning. And when combined with all of the other optics I use, it gives so many more options to photograph. Thanks again for showing your set up!!

Hey Marco Polo,
UPS just delivered my Ring Stand and I should get my four (to start) Burette Clamps next week sometime.

I'm not sure that buret clamps are ideal for holding lasers; buret clamps are designed to hold an object (typically a buret, heh) in a vertical position. IMHO the best clamps are simple caliper clamps. They are compact and will hold most any laser host quite tightly, and in any orientation and direction that you want. Three-finger clamps will hold an object just as well but they are a bit more bulky.

You have come up with such a great way to mount multiple lasers! I have an idea on how to attach diffraction gratings to the lasers attached to the clamps. When I get it all together, hopefully my weekly photo shoot next weekend, it should be really intense, as I have some scenarios in mind that should look visually stunning. And when combined with all of the other optics I use, it gives so many more options to photograph. Thanks again for showing your set up!!

Please do post your results, I was wondering about diffraction gratings and other results as well. :beer: